Length of a dream

Fast forward or slow motion?

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Length of a dream

#1  Postby Adco » Aug 20, 2014 9:05 am

Perhaps already discussed but couldn't find a thread on it. Might have been dreaming at the time. :rubeyes:

This morning I woke up at 6.30am and fell asleep within a short while, so I know the times involved. A woke up again at 6.45am. That is about 15 minutes. I can confirm both times. I had a very vivid dream during those 15 minutes. The dream time lasted for about half a day and seemed to have no breaks or gaps. Let's say it lasted 4 hours just to be conservative. The dream was not "fast forwarded" or skipped as far as I can remember.

How or why does the brain do that?

I have read that this is normal but I wanted to hear from others what they experience when they dream. My dreams are very detailed and I remember most of what happened when I wake up. I sometimes even realise that I am dreaming within the dream and this allows me to take risks or not be afraid of anything in my dreams.

Thoughts....? :thumbdown: or :thumbup:
god must love stupid people - he made so many of them
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Length of a dream

#2  Postby Horwood Beer-Master » Aug 20, 2014 12:35 pm

Adco wrote:Perhaps already discussed but couldn't find a thread on it. Might have been dreaming at the time...

Maybe you're dreaming now...
Also available on Rationalia

Horwood Beer-Master

Name: Ian

England (eng)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Adco » Aug 20, 2014 12:43 pm

My whole life is a dream...
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#4  Postby SpeedOfSound » Aug 20, 2014 10:08 pm

Adco wrote:Perhaps already discussed but couldn't find a thread on it. Might have been dreaming at the time. :rubeyes:

This morning I woke up at 6.30am and fell asleep within a short while, so I know the times involved. A woke up again at 6.45am. That is about 15 minutes. I can confirm both times. I had a very vivid dream during those 15 minutes. The dream time lasted for about half a day and seemed to have no breaks or gaps. Let's say it lasted 4 hours just to be conservative. The dream was not "fast forwarded" or skipped as far as I can remember.

How or why does the brain do that?

I have read that this is normal but I wanted to hear from others what they experience when they dream. My dreams are very detailed and I remember most of what happened when I wake up. I sometimes even realise that I am dreaming within the dream and this allows me to take risks or not be afraid of anything in my dreams.

Thoughts....? :thumbdown: or :thumbup:

The thing you mark time with is events recorded in a structure called the hippocampus. There is evidence that this structure gets played like a recording when you dream perhaps over and over. If I think back to my day I hit about three or four marks in the HC to review my day. This gives me the sense of having one due to a bit of other knowledge about those events. If your dream skims over 24 hours of the tape you will have the sense of having experienced a day.

That's my guess. Your brain DID NOT really cram a whole real day of events into fifteen minutes. It seems very certain that it did. SEEMS.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#5  Postby tuco » Aug 21, 2014 6:42 am

Adco wrote: The dream time lasted for about half a day and seemed to have no breaks or gaps. Let's say it lasted 4 hours just to be conservative. The dream was not "fast forwarded" or skipped as far as I can remember.

As far as you can remember, however, very good question in principle I do not think I've heard anyone exploring before.

Personally, as far as I can remember, I never had sense of time discrepancy you mention. I mean "feeling" of time is relative. Even when awake 15 mins can feel like ages while couple of hours like few moments, which I would think is known phenomena.
tuco

Print view this post

#6  Postby Adco » Aug 21, 2014 7:32 am

tuco wrote:
Adco wrote: The dream time lasted for about half a day and seemed to have no breaks or gaps. Let's say it lasted 4 hours just to be conservative. The dream was not "fast forwarded" or skipped as far as I can remember.

As far as you can remember, however, very good question in principle I do not think I've heard anyone exploring before.

Personally, as far as I can remember, I never had sense of time discrepancy you mention. I mean "feeling" of time is relative. Even when awake 15 mins can feel like ages while couple of hours like few moments, which I would think is known phenomena.

Sure, the "feeling" of time is relative. However, when your dream starts with a midday lunch and goes into night time with 4 moons rising, that is stretching 15 minutes a bit far!

I often have "lengthy" complex dreams that occur when I wake up in the morning and then doze off again. They can be very exhausting where a lot goes on in the dream and then I wake up feeling tired again. Perpetual emotions.
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Adco » Aug 21, 2014 7:39 am

SpeedOfSound wrote:
That's my guess. Your brain DID NOT really cram a whole real day of events into fifteen minutes. It seems very certain that it did. SEEMS.

I agree that my brain can't be running with a different clock speed. What gets me is the SEEMINGLY real feeling I get when I dream.

I have actually solved a technical work problem in a dream and then woke up and put it into practice. Perhaps it was just part of the process of my thoughts during the day and I then dreamed about it that night and something clicked. No magic involved, just interesting.
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby DavidJones » Aug 21, 2014 9:35 pm

They say usually max 15 min, but who knows, maybe we're all in some kind of matrix :p
DavidJones

Print view this post

#9  Postby Fenrir » Aug 22, 2014 1:41 am

9 inches.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#10  Postby whereami » Aug 22, 2014 2:49 am

There was an interesting documentary on this phenomenon. It was called Inception...
whereami
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience