Life After Death (?)

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Life After Death (?)

#21  Postby tuco » Aug 26, 2016 10:01 pm

Afterlife, life .. what do we mean by that? Can life exist on Titan? Our feeble minds think to know it all. For ancient Egyptians afterlife was ploughing filed for eternity. Lets say that information cannot be destroyed. But what we call consciousness? Cmon. How can we tell?
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby laklak » Aug 27, 2016 1:38 am

Jesus I hope there isn't an afterlife, one is entirely enough, thanks. Imagine an eternity of Monday morning staff meetings and filling out your 2,476,457,444th annual performance appraisal.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#23  Postby surreptitious57 » Aug 27, 2016 2:23 am

I sure as hell do not want to live forever. Though I would not mind a second chance at life so that I could
avoid all of the mistakes that I have made in this one. But after that I would definitely want to stay dead
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#24  Postby Agrippina » Aug 27, 2016 9:24 am

Waiting...for someone to come to this thread to claim they had a "near death experience" to prove life after death.

I used to say that we "live on" in the memories of the people who loved us, but seriously after six months of depression and deep mourning of my beloved dog, and actually talking to the picture of her stuck on the fridge, I've recovered and now she's not "living on" in my memory. She is just a happy memory and I'm ready to move on with my life now. "Love" needs to be fed. If you're not feeding it with constant contact and interaction, the feeling of love eventually dies and becomes merely a memory. A happy one sometimes, but a memory nevertheless. You actually do stop crying every time you think of the happy times.
Illegitimi non carborundum
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Passer » Aug 27, 2016 9:33 am

What's that statement about not being able to create or destroy energy, and that it just changes.

Is that true?

EDIT: Grammar
Last edited by Passer on Aug 27, 2016 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Passer

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#26  Postby surreptitious57 » Aug 27, 2016 9:49 am

Passer wrote:
What is that statement about not being able to create or destroy energy and that just changes

The First Law Of Thermodynamics which states that energy cannot be created or wasted
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#27  Postby Passer » Aug 27, 2016 10:05 am

Thank you
Passer

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby scott1328 » Aug 27, 2016 2:45 pm

Interesting non-sequitur. "Life" is not energy; it is not a thing. "Life" is a reification of an abstract idea.

"Life" is a process. And processes can be halted. In fact all processes must halt. This by definition happens when the universe reaches maximum entropy.

question for passer: Where does your Excel spreadsheet go when you turn off your computer?
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#29  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Aug 30, 2016 7:41 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:
Passer wrote:
What is that statement about not being able to create or destroy energy and that just changes

The First Law Of Thermodynamics which states that energy cannot be created or wasted

Wikipedia wrote:The law of conservation of energy states that the total energy of an isolated system is constant; energy can be transformed from one form to another, but cannot be created or destroyed. The first law is often formulated by stating that the change in the internal energy of a closed system is equal to the amount of heat supplied to the system, minus the amount of work done by the system on its surroundings.

The first law of thermodynamics is specific to isolated systems. Stated less vaguely and more completely, it's nearly impossible to get from the first law of thermodynamics to the sort of airy-fairy nonsense that many people try to attribute to it.

It's also important to note the importance of isolated systems as a defining characteristic of the first law of thermodynamics when creationists are attempting to claim that the laws of thermodynamics preclude evolution. They would be right if the Earth were an isolated system, but it isn't. The Earth is energetically and entropically coupled to our Sun, and this provides all the wiggle room necessary for evolution to happen. Of course, we could also look at the non-homogeneous distribution of energy on Earth and state that, from the perspective of an organism and its environment, the system cannot be isolated with respect to the rest of the planet, and thus, as long as entropy is increasing on Earth in total, it is completely okay for entropy to decrease in smaller parts of the system.

Although, I think it's usually an astounding misinterpretation of the second law of thermodynamics that gets trotted out with respect to evolution versus creationism.
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience