Man thinks stroke turned him gay

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Man thinks stroke turned him gay

#1  Postby DougC » Apr 18, 2012 2:23 am

No idea where to put this, mods can move it to another section if they wish.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17703018
B.B.C. article
Following a stroke, Chris Birch's personality and sexuality altered dramatically. Now he is trying to rediscover who he is and why these changes may have happened.
"It's like looking at somebody else, but with my face only younger, and in all fairness, if I met myself I'd probably carry on walking."
Looking at past pictures of himself, 27-year-old Chris Birch struggles to remember or identify with his old self. He used to be a 19-stone, beer-swilling, party-loving rugby fan from the Welsh valleys, the life and soul of a party. He worked in a bank and loved sport and motorbikes.
After a freak accident in 2011, he says he underwent a big change to his personality. He believes that he has gone from being straight to gay.

(Continues)
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Man thinks stroke turned him gay

#2  Postby rEvolutionist » Apr 18, 2012 5:57 am

interesting case. :popcorn:
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby quixotecoyote » Apr 18, 2012 7:27 am

I'm not sure what to think about this. On the one hand, it's another in a long tradition of sketchy stories about people claiming injuries turned them gay. On the other hand, he's positive about it ..
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby mattthomas » Apr 18, 2012 8:35 am

Maybe he always was gay and this was a chance for him to come out and blame it on the stroke... just putting it out there ;)
mattthomas

Print view this post

#5  Postby chairman bill » Apr 18, 2012 8:44 am

Or maybe there was damage to a particular area of the brain ... If gay people claim that they have no choice in their sexuality & that they're born gay, what would actually account for the gayness? Presumably there will be some difference in brain structure to account for the difference in attraction & sexual behaviour? If the stroke impacted on the particular part of the brain, effectively rendering him as he would have been had he been born gay, I see no reason why he wouldn't become gay.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby mattthomas » Apr 18, 2012 8:52 am

That is what I'm going with, after all we have well documented cases of massive personality changes following trauma to the brain.. Phineas Gage is probably the most notable.
mattthomas

Print view this post

#7  Postby Nostalgia » Apr 18, 2012 9:09 am

I watched the programme. It was pretty shit but then it was on BBC 3.

But it does raise interesting questions. Is sexuality just another facet of personality or is it something else? I've always suspected that sexual attraction is both simpler and more complex than we imagine. On one level sexuality is just sexuality - that "straight" men can be attracted to other men and "gay" ones can be attracted to female. Given the right situations and stimulation ( :naughty2: ). And that these labels we give others and ourselves are just that - labels. On the other hand a whole host of pre-and-post-birth input probably goes to decide what our sexual preference is.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Animavore » Apr 18, 2012 9:20 am

I don't think having a little stroke makes you gay. We've all done it. There's probably more to it than that.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#9  Postby rEvolutionist » Apr 18, 2012 10:24 am

:lol: Ani, you're in fine form lately! Where's this coming from? Alcohol?
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Animavore » Apr 18, 2012 11:23 am

rEvolutionist wrote::lol: Ani, you're in fine form lately! Where's this coming from? Alcohol?

It could be coming from lask of :o

I can't drink due to my operation next week and maybe for weeks after. I haven't drank in two weeks!
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience