Mistaking kindness/generosity for weakness.

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Mistaking kindness/generosity for weakness.

#41  Postby Fallible » Apr 02, 2018 9:32 pm

The trouble according to whom, and why should I care if it's not me?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#42  Postby The_Piper » Apr 02, 2018 9:33 pm

Hmm, over here the term lady isn't mealy mouthed. If mealy mouthed means something negative that is, I'm off to look that up. :lol:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Fallible » Apr 02, 2018 9:35 pm

But yeah, what's the problem with 'bird'? It's perfectly fine.I think I'm going to stop using the word 'men' and just refer to them as gerbils, then just make sweeping statements about them. Bloody gerbils wouldn't know how to iron a shirt if you made a boring Saturday morning sport programme out of it.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#44  Postby The_Piper » Apr 02, 2018 9:39 pm

UncertainSloth wrote:
The_Piper wrote:
UncertainSloth wrote:er....the rescuers?
I'd never heard of it or saw it.

it wasn't a pre-requisite, dont worry....i'm a little surprised, it was a relatively big disney film in the late 70s - i was very aware of it over here and i'm only a year or two older...round about the same time as pete's dragon and just before the black hole, iirc....

I've never heard of Black Hole either. I saw a dragon cartoon movie back then at some point. It had the Puff the Magic Dragon song. So I probably didn't see Pete's Dragon either. I guess I was deprived. :dopey:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#45  Postby UncertainSloth » Apr 02, 2018 9:40 pm

The_Piper wrote:Hmm, over here the term lady isn't mealy mouthed. If mealy mouthed means something negative that is, I'm off to look that up. :lol:

it;s basically to do with skirting round the issue and avoiding being straight - e.g. avoiding using the word in common usage, which in this case is woman/women...same as man/men, which i'd rather have than people tootling around here calling me gentleman/gentlemen...

it annoys the fuck out of me on another forum i frequent where men address their wives/partners as 'my lady'....why the fuck not just say 'my wife'...fucking cringeworthy nonsense - it's not out of respect, it's not out of deference...it's just...well....mealy-mouthed...;)
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” Tolkein
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#46  Postby UncertainSloth » Apr 02, 2018 9:42 pm

The_Piper wrote:
UncertainSloth wrote:
The_Piper wrote:
UncertainSloth wrote:er....the rescuers?
I'd never heard of it or saw it.

it wasn't a pre-requisite, dont worry....i'm a little surprised, it was a relatively big disney film in the late 70s - i was very aware of it over here and i'm only a year or two older...round about the same time as pete's dragon and just before the black hole, iirc....

I've never heard of Black Hole either. I saw a dragon cartoon movie back then at some point. It had the Puff the Magic Dragon song. So I probably didn't see Pete's Dragon either. I guess I was deprived. :dopey:

that would be 'puff the magic dragon'....:D

black hole, which was 1979 i've just discovered, is the first film i remember going to the cinema to see...as i was just too young for star wars in 77...had a soft spot for it ever since...

pete's dragon, iirc, is shit....as was the remake....not disney's heyday, to be sure...
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#47  Postby The_Piper » Apr 02, 2018 9:43 pm

Fallible wrote:But yeah, what's the problem with 'bird'? It's perfectly fine.I think I'm going to stop using the word 'men' and just refer to them as gerbils, then just make sweeping statements about them. Bloody gerbils wouldn't know how to iron a shirt if you made a boring Saturday morning sport programme out of it.

:lol:

Bird isn't really used around here. Chick is though, and it's socially acceptable alsp.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#48  Postby Fallible » Apr 02, 2018 9:44 pm

You sure it doesn't just depend on who you ask?
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#49  Postby The_Piper » Apr 02, 2018 9:49 pm

UncertainSloth wrote:
The_Piper wrote:
UncertainSloth wrote:
The_Piper wrote:I'd never heard of it or saw it.

that would be 'puff the magic dragon'....:D

black hole, which was 1979 i've just discovered, is the first film i remember going to the cinema to see...as i was just too young for star wars in 77...had a soft spot for it ever since...

pete's dragon, iirc, is shit....as was the remake....not disney's heyday, to be sure...

:lol: MAybe I'll watch Black Hole sometime.
I saw Star Wars in the theater. It's one of the few foggy memories I have of the 70's. :)
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#50  Postby The_Piper » Apr 02, 2018 9:50 pm

Fallible wrote:You sure it doesn't just depend on who you ask?

Chick, I'm sure is annoying to some people, but lady isn't. It's a "gentler" word than woman in fact.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#51  Postby UncertainSloth » Apr 02, 2018 9:53 pm

in the cinema? jeez, babe in arms....:D ....empire was the first for me on the big screen...

it's a cheap and cheerful piggy back on the star wars fever at the time but it's got plenty of character and a decent story...give me that and battle beyond the stars back to back and i'd be a happy sloth for a while...
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#52  Postby UncertainSloth » Apr 02, 2018 9:54 pm

The_Piper wrote:

Chick, I'm sure is annoying to some people, but lady isn't. It's a "gentler" word than woman in fact.

i;d consider it condescending and patronising in the wrong context but, hey ho...far too many inferences of women as still being gentile and demure...

as in calling it a 'gentler' word...
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 02, 2018 9:59 pm

UncertainSloth wrote:
The_Piper wrote:Hmm, over here the term lady isn't mealy mouthed. If mealy mouthed means something negative that is, I'm off to look that up. :lol:

it;s basically to do with skirting round the issue and avoiding being straight - e.g. avoiding using the word in common usage, which in this case is woman/women...same as man/men, which i'd rather have than people tootling around here calling me gentleman/gentlemen...

it annoys the fuck out of me on another forum i frequent where men address their wives/partners as 'my lady'....why the fuck not just say 'my wife'...fucking cringeworthy nonsense - it's not out of respect, it's not out of deference...it's just...well....mealy-mouthed...;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Times_a_Lady

Referring to one's female partner as "one's lady" was at least in colloquial use in the African-American community by the mid-1970s, as 'my old lady'. It has escaped from that community, and now paler people who want to sprinkle a little 'soul' in their conversation have picked it up since. It's no longer hip unless you tryin' ta sound black, and dated. The song referenced in the link doesn't use it in exactly that way, I think, preceded by 'my' or 'old'. But you get the idea. Et cetera:

https://genius.com/Johnnie-taylor-whos- ... ove-lyrics
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Apr 02, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Fallible » Apr 02, 2018 10:00 pm

The_Piper wrote:

I can't agree with you there. 'Lady' is extremely annoying to some people, often because of this idea of a 'gentler' word. Why is that necessary? Do we need to be gentle to 'ladies'? There's only one circumstance I would use either 'lady' or 'gentleman', and it's if I'm referring to an unknown person either to a child, for example 'little Johnny, move over and let the gentleman pass', or to another adult, eg. 'this lady was in line before me', within earshot of the person themselves. Why use anything other than 'woman' if in the same circumstance you would use 'man'?
Last edited by Fallible on Apr 02, 2018 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#55  Postby UncertainSloth » Apr 02, 2018 10:02 pm

or the general 'toast' - ladies and gentlemen...that'd be it for me...
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#56  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 02, 2018 10:04 pm

Fallible wrote:
The_Piper wrote:

I can't agree with you there. 'Lady' is extremely annoying to some people, often because of this idea of a 'gentler' word. Why is that necessary? Do we need to be gentle to 'ladies'? There's only one circumstance I would use either 'lady' or 'gentleman', and it's if I'm referring to an unknown person either to a child, for example 'little Johnny, move over and let the gentleman pass', or to another adult, eg. 'this lady was in line before me', within earshot of the person themselves.

Pretty much. I only use it to address myself covertly to automobile drivers of the female persuasion when they cut me off in traffic, or jump the queue in the supermarket... I would only use it to condescend. :evilgrin:

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#57  Postby Fallible » Apr 02, 2018 10:07 pm

Every time I see a shit woman driver I die a little bit inside. Been dying a lot lately, but maybe it's just confirmation bias.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 02, 2018 10:09 pm

Oh for fuck's sake I'm completely fucking tortured now - can't call 'em birds, ladies or women...how about XXs or Eves...
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#59  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 02, 2018 10:10 pm

Fallible wrote:Every time I see a shit woman driver I die a little bit inside. Been dying a lot lately, but maybe it's just confirmation bias.

Shit male drivers I address covertly as 'asshole'. So you see, 'lady' is not really gentler. Anytime I address a woman to her face as 'lady', she knows I mean 'asshole'.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#60  Postby UncertainSloth » Apr 02, 2018 10:12 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Oh for fuck's sake I'm completely fucking tortured now - can't call 'em birds, ladies or women...how about XXs or Eves...

why can't you call them women?
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience