Money can buy happiness...

...if you buy yourself free time rather than things.

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Money can buy happiness...

#1  Postby Mike_L » Aug 03, 2017 9:04 am

Yes, you can buy happiness...

2017-07-24

Yes, you can buy happiness - especially if the money saves you time.
People who dole out cash to save time on things like housekeeping, delivery services and taxis are a little bit happier than those who don't, new research finds.

Researchers surveyed more than 6 000 people in four countries and also ran an experiment, giving people $40 for two weeks. One week, they had to buy something material, like a shirt. The next week, they paid to save themselves time. People said they felt happier after saving time than buying stuff.

"Money can buy happiness if you spend it right," said University of British Columbia psychology professor Elizabeth Dunn, co-author of a study in Monday's Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The right way is paying someone else to do the time-consuming drudge work that you don't like, said study lead author Ashley Whillans at the Harvard Business School.

When people do that, they report feeling greater life satisfaction in general and happier that day. But when they buy material objects, it tends not to bring people the happiness they expect, she said.

Income doesn't matter. Rich or poor, spending money to save time seems to make people happier, Whillans said. And if anything, the data suggested that people with less money were able to get a bigger happiness boost from time-saving purchases than those with more, she said.

Full article at:
http://www.news24.com/World/News/yes-you-can-buy-happiness-20170724
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

Re: Money can buy happiness...

#2  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 28, 2017 11:09 pm

Hmmmmm I'm skeptical about calling it "time-saving" I reckon it's more about avoiding the dull/boring/laborious tasks. If everybody had nothing to do (free-time/unoccupied time) then occupational therapy wouldn't exist. Boredom is a major problem for a lot of people I meet these days and myself sometimes too....free time doesn't make people happy imo but being occupied with stimulating/satisfying/enjoyable tasks can help achieve happiness. Just my 2c.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#3  Postby surreptitious57 » Oct 29, 2017 4:36 am

I understand why some people spend money to make time for I think of the two time is the more valuable
I actually have all of the free time in the world and so in my case I cannot make more even if I wanted to
Too much free time is only a problem if you do not know what to do with it so having goals is always good
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#4  Postby Mike_L » Oct 29, 2017 9:51 am

Keep It Real wrote:Hmmmmm I'm skeptical about calling it "time-saving" I reckon it's more about avoiding the dull/boring/laborious tasks.

Agreed. A better title for the article would've been: "Yes, you can buy some relief from drudgery..."
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience