Never trusting my eyes again

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Never trusting my eyes again

#21  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 21, 2018 3:31 pm

scott1328 wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:Macdoc, I trust that you realise that all the illusions you have posted are dependent on the computer monitor, with its rapidly changing display, designed to fool your (slow) eyes into thinking that you are seeing moving images, for example. Thus, you are talking about effects that our eyes did not evolve to "see through", so to speak.
EDIT: So you are right not to trust your eyes, WHEN WATCHING TV SCREENS OR COMPUTER MONITORS.

Bullshit lies.

I suggest that you stop embarrassing yourself by making such blatantly false statements.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Animavore » Jul 21, 2018 3:32 pm

DavidMcC wrote:Well, the one featured in Macdoc's post #11 is a static one, and would work, as you say, without a TV screen, however, others would not (eg the one in post #12).

The one in 12 is literally a moving image (.gif). Not one -

DavidMcC wrote: ...designed to fool your (slow) eyes into thinking that you are seeing moving images...
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#23  Postby scott1328 » Jul 21, 2018 3:38 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
scott1328 wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:Macdoc, I trust that you realise that all the illusions you have posted are dependent on the computer monitor, with its rapidly changing display, designed to fool your (slow) eyes into thinking that you are seeing moving images, for example. Thus, you are talking about effects that our eyes did not evolve to "see through", so to speak.
EDIT: So you are right not to trust your eyes, WHEN WATCHING TV SCREENS OR COMPUTER MONITORS.

Bullshit lies.

I suggest that you stop embarrassing yourself by making such blatantly false statements.

Fucking troll
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 21, 2018 3:43 pm

I think there would be more justification in me saying that to you, Scott.
EDIT: Like TE on another thread, you are totally ignoring the OP topic, in order to throw insults around like confetti. Sad, really.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby scott1328 » Jul 21, 2018 3:47 pm

DavidMcC wrote:I think there would be more justification in me saying that to you, Scott.

Recant the lie you told Macdoc that
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 21, 2018 3:48 pm

... I hope you realise the damage you are doing to the credibility of this site in the eyes of surfers, especially as the mods allow it to happen.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby scott1328 » Jul 21, 2018 3:49 pm

Recant the lie
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Macdoc » Jul 21, 2018 4:55 pm

Put your money where your mouth is DC and buy a BOOK.....you have not one fucking clue :nono:

and many more
https://www.amazon.com/New-Book-Optical ... nskepti-20

by Animavore » Jul 21, 2018 9:50 am

Your eyes are ok. It's your brain that's the problem.

yup :smoke:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Hermit » Jul 22, 2018 2:22 am

Have you bothered to test your bullshit before posting it?

I printed the illustration shown in post #11 as a few others out on paper a few years ago. Same effect. My cat detects the illusory movements on the printed paper too. When I leave them on the floor she tries to trap the moving bits under her paws. She Ignores printed sheets without apparent movement or just sits on them.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#30  Postby OlivierK » Jul 22, 2018 6:52 am

Animavore wrote:
Hermit wrote:One of my favourite optical trick is the ballerina. Her rotational direction keeps flipping every ten seconds or so, but not for everybody.

She never flips for me. She's always anti-clockwise. I can't even see how she could be the other way. I suspect it's because my imagination loads her with too many assumptions in my 3-D visualisation of her, that's to say I see her as a solid not as the flat that she is.

Always clockwise for me. Like you, I just can't get the opposite direction to work, no matter how many times I focus elsewhere, or go away and come back.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Cito di Pense » Jul 22, 2018 7:26 am

OlivierK wrote:
Always clockwise for me. Like you, I just can't get the opposite direction to work, no matter how many times I focus elsewhere, or go away and come back.

I do it by focusing squarely on the pony tail first; then you can see the artifice in the animated gif. Changing the focal length by a few centimeters helps, when I get stuck on one orientation. When you feel you have some control over the orientation, you might no longer think of it as an optical illusion. Maybe this is a 'persistence of vision' thing more than a cognitive illusion, after you master the control.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Fay Smask
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Hermit » Jul 22, 2018 7:42 am

Weird, isn't it? I just gaze at the ballerina. Every ten or so seconds she reverses direction spontaneously and without any transition.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#33  Postby LucidFlight » Jul 22, 2018 7:48 am

I find that it’s easier to flip the rotation of the ballerina if I move the image to my peripheral vision. That is: shift image to peripheral vision, do the flip (visually alter... with your mind the direction you want), and then move the image back from peripheral vision. Et voilà.

ETA

I mean, flip at will, of course.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#34  Postby thirsting » Jul 22, 2018 10:59 am

Hermit wrote:--- My cat detects the illusory movements on the printed paper too. When I leave them on the floor she tries to trap the moving bits under her paws. She Ignores printed sheets without apparent movement or just sits on them.

O_O Oh my. I assumed these optical illusions would only work for humans. Need to go find a cat or doggie and do some science with them now.. :mrgreen:
Well that was awkward.
thirsting

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Hermit » Jul 22, 2018 11:15 am

thirsting wrote:
Hermit wrote:--- My cat detects the illusory movements on the printed paper too. When I leave them on the floor she tries to trap the moving bits under her paws. She Ignores printed sheets without apparent movement or just sits on them.

O_O Oh my. I assumed these optical illusions would only work for humans. Need to go find a cat or doggie and do some science with them now.. :mrgreen:

Don't bother. It's been done for you.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience