OCD chat

Split from The_Piper's Homemaking thread

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: OCD chat

#21  Postby Animavore » Jan 03, 2015 2:40 pm

What's the opposite of OCD? What about those of us who let our living space tend toward entropy? I feel like that should be a problem. Probably just sheer laziness.

I think anyone in this thread would have a heart attack if they saw my place.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Fallible » Jan 03, 2015 2:47 pm

I wouldn't, because there are plenty of people with OCD whose irrational fear is not germs or contamination. That's just one of the main ones. My two main ones are an irrational fear of becoming a raving lunatic, literally, having no control over myself or my life, so having to keep order in my mind by counting, making sure things are actually how I see them, etc. and irrational fear of any of my loved ones dying in accidents, so having to say 'magic' words and phrases and having to do 'magic' things which will prevent this happening. I can quite happily live in shit and it doesn't bother me.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Cody » Jan 03, 2015 5:43 pm

Don't you think it's simply fear that causes OCD and some related conditions? My OCD has its root in fear, I'm sure.
Basically I recognise situations which I couldn't cope with in my life such as the death of my children, the loneliness of being on my own too often etc.
The first sign I got that I might have OCD (although I did not know about the condition at the time) was when I was about twelve years old. It took only one form: if I stubbed my toe on something, I had to stub the same one on my other foot--to make it equal. I wouldn't be surprised if hormones had something to do with it. I was at puberty. Gradually it stopped until I reached the menopause when it started again. That may have been coincidence but it made me wonder if there was a connection.
In my case, insecurity and the traumas of adulthood after the deaths of my parents seemed to be the trigger. I recognise many of the things mentioned in this thread as relating to me. One silly little thing I am compelled to do is twitching the fingers of my right hand eg when watching TV. I don't even know I'm doing it sometimes till a family member points it out to me. I am ashamed of it but do it even when I'm in company. It's embarrassing and tiring. I also suffer from aniety depression which the doctor told me is connected to OCD.
Cody

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Fallible » Jan 03, 2015 6:28 pm

Yes, an irrational fear. That's one of the reasons we feel distress - we know it's not 'right'. It has its roots in helpful feelings - it's sometimes rational to be afraid - but is a sort of overactivity of the helpful stuff to the point that it becomes the opposite of helpful. It is also often all mixed up with the sense of personal responsibility. We have this irrational fear, and we also have a heightened sense of responsibility for keeping bad things from happening. So we MUST do such-and-such in order to prevent such-and-such and if we don't, and such-and-such happens, that will be our fault. I MUST say 'take care have a good day' before my husband leaves the house to prevent him having an accident and if I don't, he will have an accident and that will be my fault for not saying 'take care have a good day'. Completely irrational, and I know this, but when my OCD is bad I just can't help myself.

We all have bizarre/socially taboo/disturbing thoughts that flit through our minds. Most of us just let them pass. But with someone who has OCD, specific thoughts get 'stuck' and they don't let them go, they ruminate on them, blowing them out of proportion and beyond logic or reason. As with so much regarding the brain, scientists have not alighted on the exact causes of OCD, but there is some evidence that it can be triggered by trauma, over-activity of certain areas of the brain, even neglect in childhood. I first noticed mine when I was about 9, and I was doing circuits on my roller skates down the alley way to the garage block, down to the road, along the road until my road, up my road, back down the alley way. I couldn't stop until I had done 100. When it started to get dark my mum tried to get me to go in to have my tea, but I couldn't. I think I was only on about 70. She got pretty pissed off with me, but that didn't stop me. Soon after that I noticed the counting to 32, then starting again, over and over. I had no idea what I was doing and told no one. Now I can reflect that I had a madly unsettled childhood, moving countries but also moving all over this one every few months, with lots of heated arguments going on around me and my sister attempting suicide. Possible link there.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#25  Postby kennyc » Jan 03, 2015 6:31 pm

Animavore wrote:What's the opposite of OCD? What about those of us who let our living space tend toward entropy? I feel like that should be a problem. Probably just sheer laziness.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby The_Piper » Jan 03, 2015 7:39 pm

Animavore wrote:What's the opposite of OCD? What about those of us who let our living space tend toward entropy? I feel like that should be a problem. Probably just sheer laziness.

I know you're kidding, but this isn't true. My place has piles of stuff on top of piles of stuff. Sometimes I wait until all t he dishes are dirty. I mop my floor with a rag under my foot, and spray cleaner. I haven't vacuumed the living room since probably late 2013. I know not to eat at my kitchen table because it doubles as my treasure processing center and picks up lots of germs.
I'm a lazy germophobe. :lol:
That has a basis in reality too, being allergic to dust, so that when I do spend a lot of time cleaning, I wheeze all night.
I don't have any half eaten burgers lying around, or dirty dishes with fermenting oatmeal though, I'm sensitive to smells like that.
When I go over a friends dirty place, my mind is on full germophobe alert. I just have to remember to wash my hands before eating or touching anything important.
That said, when going over friend's houses with dogs it's usually a problem. I love dogs but jesus stop licking me and sticking your adorable snout all over my shirt! :shifty:
That's the problem with dogs, the more I love them, the more they slime me.

To answer Cody's question about fear, I don't seem to have any fear associated with this. I don't feel like I have much fear or anxiety in my life. Though some of that may be that I live alone and have no one witnessing my behavior. For me, It's knowing what bothers me, being mentally and physically prepared when I'm not in control, and having a plan to deal with it.

For me, I'm pretty sure it has it's roots in allergies. We held head start(pre-pre--school) in our house when I was 2, and there were a dozen kids running around my house with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, mayonaisse, etc. Contaminating the surfaces with allergens. I'd need to wash my hands after touching things, or I'd get sick. I couldn't just be a little kid and put my fingers in my mouth. My parents didn't know anything about allergies or asthma, so those early days must have been very uncomfortable for me. My mother tells a story of when I was months old, looking up and smiling at her with one eye all red and swollen. She didn't even know what it was from. When she'd take me to the doctor the next day I'd be ok again. 1976. :lol:
She said I would get my sandwich, and remove all the bread and toppings and just eat the insides. When she finally got a doctor to listen to her, I was sent to an allergist, who after testing, predicted that I do the thing with the sandwich. So parents, pay attention to your fussy children, lest they become ocd later! :lol: It's not my parent's fault, but it would have been nice if by some stroke of luck they were more educated about this back then. They were born in 1936, and 1949. They're cool. :)
Of course, this cross-contamination of surfaces is something that continued all through school, and will never go away in public. I don't think OCD has it's roots in fear for me, rather it's rooted in discomfort. I don't have a fear of discomfort, I just strive to prevent it.
It morphed into also avoiding germs too.
"I'm not really sure what I'm talking about" - Tucker Carlson
The Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife thread.
The Self Taken Pictures of Scenery thread.
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Cody » Jan 03, 2015 9:48 pm

Mine is definitely rooted in fear. You know how some people are nervous and fearful? I think it's partly hereditary. I say this because I had a lovely childhood. In spite of this I have always been what some would call a wimp! In other words, I seem to have always needed someone to rely on, someone to protect me or merely be there for me in times of stress. I'm not a go-it-alone type. I did have a lot of stress for the 20 years I was married to an alcoholic. I loved him dearly. We were childhood sweethearts but he broke my heart every time he took alcohol---which was most of the time. He became a different person. My emotional prop had disappeared but my depression set in only when he died in 2006.

Sorry. I didn't mean to go on and on but my point is that some people are brave and some are not. I'm nearly sure genes play a part in this.
Cody

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby The_Piper » Jan 03, 2015 10:13 pm

Cody wrote:Mine is definitely rooted in fear. You know how some people are nervous and fearful? I think it's partly hereditary. I say this because I had a lovely childhood. In spite of this I have always been what some would call a wimp! In other words, I seem to have always needed someone to rely on, someone to protect me or merely be there for me in times of stress. I'm not a go-it-alone type. I did have a lot of stress for the 20 years I was married to an alcoholic. I loved him dearly. We were childhood sweethearts but he broke my heart every time he took alcohol---which was most of the time. He became a different person. My emotional prop had disappeared but my depression set in only when he died in 2006.

Sorry. I didn't mean to go on and on but my point is that some people are brave and some are not. I'm nearly sure genes play a part in this.

:hugs:
I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised. I mentioned my father's accounting. My mother doesn't have any germophobia whatsoever. She does get serious bouts of anxieties and depression though. I think a little bit of that rubbed off in my double-checking.
To attempt to clarify an earlier statement; I don't feel like I have much anxiety at all, but I guess there must be some if I have ocd in the first place. Perhaps I'm just so used to it. I've always smoked a lot of marijuana, perhaps has an effect of lowering my perception of anxiety. I don't really think so though. I shit when I see the cops. :lol: (j/k, but I'm alert)
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Fallible » Jan 03, 2015 10:47 pm

I don't know much about your circumstances, only that you live alone, but sometimes people arrange their lives so that exposure to things which cause them anxiety has been reduced. Sometimes I will ask anxious patients how their week has been and they'll say it's been absolutely fine, then it becomes evident that they've just not left the house or answered the phone and that's why. :lol:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#30  Postby The_Piper » Jan 03, 2015 11:28 pm

Fallible wrote:I don't know much about your circumstances, only that you live alone, but sometimes people arrange their lives so that exposure to things which cause them anxiety has been reduced. Sometimes I will ask anxious patients how their week has been and they'll say it's been absolutely fine, then it becomes evident that they've just not left the house or answered the phone and that's why. :lol:

:lol:
Yeah, that's certainly true with me. One example you may remember from the rant thread, I'm not so giddy when I have to clean up mouse shit. With the social anxiety it's true to a fault.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#31  Postby The_Metatron » Jan 04, 2015 2:03 am

I found those tools and I fixed that bed. This evening, we took a trip to the local hardware store to pick up some drawer organizers for our flatware and kitchen utensil drawers. Now, all of that stuff is sorted. We expect it to evolve over time, as we find what we use more often.
My new website is up. Who wants to be a contributor?

I AM Skepdickus!

https://www.skepdick.us/blog/
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 04, 2015 8:03 am

My mum has extreme OCD. It drove us all mad.

The house had to be perfect when went to bed. Just in case the neighbours had to come in for some unknown reason.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#33  Postby smudge » Jan 04, 2015 8:33 am

Does OCD run in families?

Edit. OK- googled it. Apparently so. This is giving me a few things to think about.
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#34  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Jan 04, 2015 9:00 am

Fallible wrote:I don't know much about your circumstances, only that you live alone, but sometimes people arrange their lives so that exposure to things which cause them anxiety has been reduced. Sometimes I will ask anxious patients how their week has been and they'll say it's been absolutely fine, then it becomes evident that they've just not left the house or answered the phone and that's why. :lol:

Are you stalking me? How do you know my tactics? :grin:

Though really that is no longer me (thanks mostly to the wife)...well expect fuck answering the phone if I don't know the number. I am willing to have some anxiety in my life and have methods for dealing with it but I refuse to include the bullshit of dealing with a wrong number and trying to get idiots to understand I am not Becky no matter how many times they call.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Fallible » Jan 04, 2015 10:18 am

Urgh, unknown phone numbers. Also when it just says 'incoming call', and it could be either an unsolicited call or someone you know.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby The_Piper » Jan 04, 2015 12:00 pm

Or when it's my friend's nutty girlfriend loking for him, and I don't know whether she'll be nice or swear at me. I think "dammed if I do, dammed if I don't", and usually answer it. :lol:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#37  Postby The_Piper » Jan 04, 2015 12:03 pm

One time she left a vulgar message to one of my neighbors on my voicemail. I never passed it on to him.
(In the most demeaning vooice) "yeah...fuck you ___, you guys are all the same"
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Fallible » Jan 04, 2015 12:16 pm

She sounds lovely.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#39  Postby The_Piper » Jan 04, 2015 12:25 pm

:lol:
Sometimes she is, too. Kind, and generous.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40  Postby The_Piper » Jan 06, 2015 1:53 am

Here's a good one, and any non-afflicted parties may take interest in the thought process. :tongue: A bag of pizza cheese dropped out of my fridge when I opened it, and because I (factually) know that mice have crawled over the floor since I've cleaned it with only a rag and my heel, it needs to be disinfected to go back in, yet because I had just washed my hands, and need to try and minimize the amount of washings, and because after disinfecting with spray cleaner and a moist rag they will require another washing, because I don't like to injest even one part per million toxic substances either - the run-on sentence helps accentuate it - I pick it up with the right hand, and with the "purely sterile" left open a quart sized ziploc bag that luckily happens to be one hand grab-able and put it inside, then turn around and without a conscious t hought about it, washed my hands with soap, then, while washing,chuckled at myself, again.
Lesson learned, keep some ziploc's one hand grab-able. Oh, and try to think about it before pumping that soap!
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience