OCD chat

Split from The_Piper's Homemaking thread

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: OCD chat

#41  Postby laklak » Jan 06, 2015 2:29 am

My ex-wife would sometimes vacuum the house 4 or 5 times a day. The WHOLE fucking house, all 4 bedrooms and three floors. She would compulsively clean the kitchen sink over, and over, and over again. The house was spotless, but it drove me nuts. She didn't see it as a problem, that's just the way things had to be done. Both girls are clean freaks, houses are spotless, but as far as I can tell they're not as compulsive about it.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby The_Piper » Jan 06, 2015 2:51 am

laklak wrote:My ex-wife would sometimes vacuum the house 4 or 5 times a day. The WHOLE fucking house, all 4 bedrooms and three floors. She would compulsively clean the kitchen sink over, and over, and over again. The house was spotless, but it drove me nuts. She didn't see it as a problem, that's just the way things had to be done. Both girls are clean freaks, houses are spotless, but as far as I can tell they're not as compulsive about it.

I'm jealous of your ex-house. :tongue: It's good your daughters aren't too bad. Maybe she had OCPD, linked above by Fallible. :teef:
Again, my house is never neat in the slightest. I'm well below average in that department. No fermenting food though, that's germphobic.. :)
"I'm not really sure what I'm talking about" - Tucker Carlson
The Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife thread.
The Self Taken Pictures of Scenery thread.
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Fallible » Jan 06, 2015 11:03 am

I'm sensitive to smells, so I tend to want to keep things clean. That's not a part of my OCD, as I mentioned above. I just find dirty smells unpleasant, so I like to prevent them. What causes me the stress there is when other people dirty the place up and then don't put it right to my standards. Dishes have not been washed if there are still bits of food clinging to them. :roll:
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#44  Postby The_Piper » Jan 06, 2015 4:27 pm

Fallible wrote:I'm sensitive to smells, so I tend to want to keep things clean. That's not a part of my OCD, as I mentioned above. I just find dirty smells unpleasant, so I like to prevent them. What causes me the stress there is when other people dirty the place up and then don't put it right to my standards. Dishes have not been washed if there are still bits of food clinging to them. :roll:

My house isn't clean but I hand-wash my dishes(wearing gloves) squeaky clean and store them in plastic containers with flip lids.
I hate bad odors too, though I've become desensitized to my house, that has the smell of mice I think, to me, and the shed/porch entrance thing which smells like rotting wood. Over the years I've grown to like the rotting wood smell. I only smell those (briefly) when I leave for several hours or go on a trip. No matter how much I clean, those don't go away. I'd need to use a wrecking ball and a bulldozer to get rid of that smell. :lol:
Cleaning products, wd40, stuff like that bothers me. They affect my breathing, so that's not ocd.
I keep a separate "smelly trash" container. Food scraps and leftovers mainly, and goes directly into my outside barrel.
I think that's part of the OCD, because I have stressed a little when someone puts food scraps in my non-smelly barrel.
I got that idea from my dad when he moved out and was single. I think it's a good idea for a single person who doesn't like stinky trash smell in the house. :)
"I'm not really sure what I'm talking about" - Tucker Carlson
The Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife thread.
The Self Taken Pictures of Scenery thread.
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Cody » Jan 07, 2015 12:39 pm

I've just broken my ankle in a fall so all my OCD stuff has to disappear for a while. I don't have a germ phobia so leaving chores undone doesn't bother me much. I'm not sure what kind of OCD I have anyway. It doesn't seem to include what the rest of you have.
Cody

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Onyx8 » Jan 07, 2015 7:15 pm

Sorry to hear that Cody, that sounds awful. Best wishes.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Thommo » Jan 07, 2015 7:23 pm

Onyx8 wrote:Sorry to hear that Cody, that sounds awful. Best wishes.

:this:
Thommo

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby Fallible » Jan 07, 2015 8:38 pm

Yes Cody, get well soon.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Why not pray for self improvement? Placebos work regardless.

#49  Postby Fallible » Apr 19, 2016 8:16 am

Of course, OCD is not 'shooting for imaginary perfection', this is the colloquial usage. It's an anxiety disorder characterised by obsessive thoughts and the compulsions performed to keep them and the resulting anxiety at bay.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 19, 2016 9:25 am

Fallible wrote:Of course, OCD is not 'shooting for imaginary perfection', this is the colloquial usage. It's an anxiety disorder characterised by obsessive thoughts and the compulsions performed to keep them and the resulting anxiety at bay.

Yes, understood. If I were counseling someone who wanted help with that problem, yes, I'd try to figure out what the anxiety was, but I'd also try to figure out why the response to anxiety wasn't more modulated. Everybody experiences anxiety. Only a few respond in a way that you can diagnose technically as OCD, unless we are all subject to that. Then it isn't a 'disorder'. If it's the endocrine system itself, you'd suspect genetics, wouldn't you? Or maybe not exclusively, eh? So, we've explained nothing.

Don't mistake my tone. I really want you to explain this, if you can. If you can't, and it's going to go case by case, don't pretend to be an expert. I don' t know how 'compulsions performed' keep 'anxiety at bay'. Activity fills up the time available, if you know your Parkinson Laws. This is why I favor the existentialist approach, because available time is all anyone starts out with.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Apr 19, 2016 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Ivar Poäng
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Fallible » Apr 19, 2016 9:37 am

The anxiety is a reaction to their obsessive thoughts, this stuff is easy to google. If someone experiencing anxiety does not suffer from obsessive thoughts and compulsions, they don't have OCD. The response is to the obsessive thoughts first and foremost, and the response is the anxiety and then the compulsions intended to mitigate it or some other dreaded outcome. The fleeting thought of strangling me to death may well not cause any anxiety to someone who either doesn't like me much or doesn't really care about me or whether they are 'mental'. The thought will come and go, like countless other, similar thoughts do. However the same thought will have far greater significance to someone who is either worried about whether they might be crazy or who does care about me, and when they get these thoughts they pay lots more attention to them and then feel so anxious about that that they must perform some ritual to make the agony go away. I'm subject to that, but apparently I'm only part of another 1%. So no, it would appear that not everyone is.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#52  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 19, 2016 10:00 am

Fallible wrote:The anxiety is a reaction to their obsessive thoughts, this stuff is easy to google.

OK, a good starting point. So we assume some brain chemistry. That helps, I hope.

Fallible wrote:If someone experiencing anxiety does not suffer from obsessive thoughts and compulsions, they don't have OCD.

Technically. OK. So we base it on thoughts, and not on actions taken. Imagining: Obsessive thoughts will be boring, at best and riveting at worst.

Fallible wrote:The response is to the obsessive thoughts first and foremost, and the response is the anxiety and then the compulsions intended to mitigate it or some other dreaded outcome.

Dreaded outcome? About what else could one obsess? I don't doubt there are alternatives, but we might find them silly. Believe me, I know what you're talking about, here. Now we have to explain why there isn't a rational assessment of risk in response.

Fallible wrote:The fleeting thought of strangling me to death may well not cause any anxiety to someone who either doesn't like me much or doesn't really care about me or whether they are 'mental'. The thought will come and go, like countless other, similar thoughts do. However the same thought will have far greater significance to someone who is either worried about whether they might be crazy or who does care about me, and when they get these thoughts they pay lots more attention to them and then feel so anxious about that that they must perform some ritual to make the agony go away.

That helps, but doesn't go all the way. I do know what you're talking about. I still don't understand what obviates the rational risk assessment in favor of obsessive thoughts of disaster. It's paradoxically both easy and painful to go down that road.

You don't need to guess that I favor an evidence-based approach to assessing risk. It's no mystery why this isn't universal, because understanding how to assess risk (i.e., significance) is laborious, too.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Ivar Poäng
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Fallible » Apr 19, 2016 10:03 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Fallible wrote:Of course, OCD is not 'shooting for imaginary perfection', this is the colloquial usage. It's an anxiety disorder characterised by obsessive thoughts and the compulsions performed to keep them and the resulting anxiety at bay.

Yes, understood. If I were counseling someone who wanted help with that problem, yes, I'd try to figure out what the anxiety was, but I'd also try to figure out why the response to anxiety wasn't more modulated. Everybody experiences anxiety. Only a few respond in a way that you can diagnose technically as OCD, unless we are all subject to that. Then it isn't a 'disorder'. If it's the endocrine system itself, you'd suspect genetics, wouldn't you? Or maybe not exclusively, eh? So, we've explained nothing.

Don't mistake my tone. I really want you to explain this, if you can. If you can't, and it's going to go case by case, don't pretend to be an expert. I don' t know how 'compulsions performed' keep 'anxiety at bay'. Activity fills up the time available, if you know your Parkinson Laws. This is why I favor the existentialist approach, because available time is all anyone starts out with.

Oh, never mind, you substantially altered your post after I replied to it in order to make demands and up the adversarial tone. I'm not interested in watching people swing their metaphorical dicks, especially when they appear oblivious to how many times and in which locations they have disclosed just how little they have to swing.

Ok, so I see you've gone on to make a more reasoned reply. I have nothing against addressing that when I have time.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience