Psychodynamic psychotherapy

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Psychodynamic psychotherapy

#1  Postby Keep It Real » Jan 01, 2017 8:06 pm

Freud, Klein etc. are relied on heavily in the NHS as a theoretical backdrop to psychodynamic interventions for troubled children and adolescents. Do people object to psychodynamic interventions for society's vulnerable youths, or is it the best tool at our disposal for many conditions?
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician.
"Who want's activism?" PMSL 'till I dehydrate and die in the desert - somebody.
https://soundcloud.com/sciteks
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Psychodynamic psychotherapy

#2  Postby Fallible » Jan 01, 2017 8:35 pm

I don't really know a huge amount about it, only that it was frowned upon by the people who taught me when I was training, with the reason given that Freud's theories had been largely discredited. I didn't know they were relied on heavily; I do know some practitioners, but they are outnumbered by the Person-Centred brigade.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Keep It Real » Jan 01, 2017 8:56 pm

Are person-centred practitioners deployed for children and adolescents too? Perhaps they are assigned a therapist depending on the brand of malody. Did you train at the Tavistock Clinic Fallible?
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Fallible » Jan 01, 2017 9:00 pm

Yes, children and adolescents have Person-Centred counselling. As far as I'm aware, Psychodynamic therapists and Person-Centred therapists deal with the same problems, but come at them from a different angle. The Tavistock Clinic? No, why?
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Keep It Real » Jan 01, 2017 9:12 pm

Oh, just curious really; that's where my mother trained is all. So is it just chance whether a messed up youth gets person-centered or psychodynamic therapy I wonder...weird if so.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Willie71 » Jan 01, 2017 9:17 pm

Psychotherapy for children is a very broad field. The age of the child, cognitive abilities, culture, and family functioning all influence the decision. For younger children, play therapy and art therapy are quite common. Adolescents typically do ok with CBT, but delinquency is usually treated through strategic or structural therapy. Common mistakes are usually related to overestimating a child's abstract reasoning, or ability to manage emotions due to the underdeveloped frontal lobe.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Fallible » Jan 01, 2017 9:21 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Oh, just curious really; that's where my mother trained is all. So is it just chance whether a messed up youth gets person-centered or psychodynamic therapy I wonder...weird if so.

I suspect it depends on who they have on their books. It appears to me that you're generally more likely to receive CBT from the NHS at the moment than either Psychodynamic or Person-Centred therapy, because the government is enamoured of its alleged effectiveness after a very short course of treatment, although the CBT will be administered by a therapist trained in one or the other (Psychodynamic or Person-Centred), because you can't learn CBT without a 'foundation' model. It'll depend on the age of the child as well - play therapy is commonly used on the younger ones.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience