Sacrifice Holograms - widespread barriers to much success?

Or unscientific woo...or something else...

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Sacrifice Holograms - widespread barriers to much success?

#1  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 06, 2020 10:14 am

My term - probs not great. I first heard of the phenomenon in "Easy Way" by Allen Carr, a smoking cessation technique/guide. He said in the book that the constant bombarding of images and adverts telling people how dreadful smoking is for health do nothing to help quitters really, because they create a sense of sacrifice in the quitters mind. I think that in fact it applies to many many things in life however, and is far from limited to smoking. In a nutshell, it works like this:

Sacrifice Holograms – where one has a very bad habit, but "unconsciously" deduces there MUST be a powerful reason to continue with that habit due to the fact one DOES continue. The worse the habit,the more numerous and strong reasons to discontinue with it, the more powerful the holographic image in the mind of an enormously powerful reason to continue. The longer the habit's been going on? Same thing. The truth? There is no large sacrifice to be made: 99.9% of the monstrosity is just a mental hologram born of the enormity of the reasons to do the right thing, when doing wrong.

Struggling to stick to a diet/lose weight but don't know why? Sacrifice Holograms.
Struggling to write that awesome novel you've been meaning to for years but don't know why? Sacrifice Holograms.
Struggling to cut down on a gambling problem? Sacrifice Holograms.

And on and on and on.

Perhaps once this is known of the targeted bad habit, and a torch beam shone on the nasty SH Boggart, it can be banished, and all that's needed then is to take the plunge. Any good?
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9196
Age: 39

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Sacrifice Holograms - widespread barriers to much success?

#2  Postby Fallible » Feb 06, 2020 10:38 am

People do things because they believe on some level it gives them something. I don’t really see the need for the term ‘sacrifice hologram’.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Sacrifice Holograms - widespread barriers to much success?

#3  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 06, 2020 10:49 am

The way I see it Fal, there's always a relatively small reason to continue with the bad habit, or to use your parlance, it gives them a LITTLE something, but compared to the VERY LARGE reasons to discontinue the bad habit/take up the good habit, if it weren't for the sacrifice hologram, doing the right thing would be a no brainer.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9196
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Sacrifice Holograms - widespread barriers to much success?

#4  Postby Fallible » Feb 06, 2020 10:56 am

That wasn’t my parlance, I never mentioned ‘little’. Obviously it looks like the reason to keep doing the bad thing is small relative to the harm it does objectively. Obviously it’s a very big reason subjectively, because it keeps the person doing the bad thing in the face if all the other issues it creates. If you believe something is worth doing you’ll do it. What’s the need for the term ‘sacrifice hologram’ exactly?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Sacrifice Holograms - widespread barriers to much success?

#5  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 06, 2020 11:05 am

I think it's quite a tricky concept to grasp, and I probs didn't do a great job of explaining it in the OP. I'll try and put it another way. In the back of the "addict's" mind there's a lightning fast, invisible heuristic which leaps into their consciousness whenever they tempted to do their bad habit, and think "but it's BAD!" The heuristic SH says to them, after lurching up from it's slimy cellar "But there must be a HUGE reason to live this habit due to the fact there are such HUGE reasons to desist!" No specifics as to what the HUGE reason to continue is - it is, afterall, just a hologram, but the addict shrugs and goes about their bad habit, feeling the forces of will are balanced. The nasty little bastard SH has, of course slithered back into its dank, dark hiding place in the back of the addict's mind.

Coll story in any case :)
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9196
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Sacrifice Holograms - widespread barriers to much success?

#6  Postby newolder » Feb 06, 2020 11:16 am

Keep It Real wrote:My term - probs not great. ...

Sacrifice Holograms – where one has a very bad habit, but "unconsciously" deduces there MUST be a powerful reason to continue with that habit due to the fact one DOES continue. ...


The first thing this term brought to my mind was a hologram of a lamb. Probably due to me having an idea of the physics of holograms mixed with the Sunday school story times of my early days. How does unconscious deduction work? - I'm deaf, blind and otherwise senseless to the facts that the assailant left size 18 footprints, and the echo of a car horn so it must be the work of a clown. :???:

I agree it is both your term and not great.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
User avatar
newolder
 
Name: Albert Ross
Posts: 7310
Age: 1
Male

Country: Feudal Estate number 9
Print view this post

Re: Sacrifice Holograms - widespread barriers to much success?

#7  Postby Fallible » Feb 06, 2020 11:21 am

Keep It Real wrote:I think it's quite a tricky concept to grasp, and I probs didn't do a great job of explaining it in the OP. I'll try and put it another way. In the back of the "addict's" mind there's a lightning fast, invisible heuristic which leaps into their consciousness whenever they tempted to do their bad habit, and think "but it's BAD!" The heuristic SH says to them, after lurching up from it's slimy cellar "But there must be a HUGE reason to live this habit due to the fact there are such HUGE reasons to desist!" No specifics as to what the HUGE reason to continue is - it is, afterall, just a hologram, but the addict shrugs and goes about their bad habit, feeling the forces of will are balanced. The nasty little bastard SH has, of course slithered back into its dank, dark hiding place in the back of the addict's mind.

Coll story in any case :)


If you say so. You’re just describing emotional reasoning.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Sacrifice Holograms - widespread barriers to much success?

#8  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 06, 2020 11:52 am

:dunno: you're just describing psychology, in that case ; )

SH's are a specific type of emotional reasoning, perhaps, and thanks for pointing that out Fal, V educational, although TBH the definition of exactly what constitutes an emotion is extremely problematic by my mind. I think SHs are sufficiently distinct to deserve their own term and description however either way IMO.

Yes Newolder - the term ain't great...hologram is a cool word though 8-) "Negative Motivational Holograms" perhaps...better?
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9196
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Sacrifice Holograms - widespread barriers to much success?

#9  Postby newolder » Feb 06, 2020 12:02 pm

Holograms are visible. There's nothing to see here.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
User avatar
newolder
 
Name: Albert Ross
Posts: 7310
Age: 1
Male

Country: Feudal Estate number 9
Print view this post

Re: Sacrifice Holograms - widespread barriers to much success?

#10  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 06, 2020 12:03 pm

One sees them in one's mind's eye, no?
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9196
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Sacrifice Holograms - widespread barriers to much success?

#11  Postby Fallible » Feb 06, 2020 12:05 pm

Keep It Real wrote::dunno: you're just describing psychology, in that case ; )


What did you think this was about, geology?

SH's are a specific type of emotional reasoning, perhaps, and thanks for pointing that out Fal, V educational, although TBH the definition of exactly what constitutes an emotion is extremely problematic by my mind. I think SHs are sufficiently distinct to deserve their own term and description however either way IMO.


SHs aren’t an anything, KIR.

Yes Newolder - the term ain't great...hologram is a cool word though 8-) "Negative Motivational Holograms" perhaps...better?


No.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Sacrifice Holograms - widespread barriers to much success?

#12  Postby newolder » Feb 06, 2020 12:08 pm

Keep It Real wrote:One sees them in one's mind's eye, no?

No. You are describing imaginary entities not holograms.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
User avatar
newolder
 
Name: Albert Ross
Posts: 7310
Age: 1
Male

Country: Feudal Estate number 9
Print view this post

Re: Sacrifice Holograms - widespread barriers to much success?

#13  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 06, 2020 12:12 pm

Hologram is an appropriate term because they are "projected" from the negative aspects of the bad habit and it's duration, as well as the fact that they appear substantive although, in fact, they have no real substance.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9196
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Sacrifice Holograms - widespread barriers to much success?

#14  Postby newolder » Feb 06, 2020 12:19 pm

Holograms are made of light and other materials - they have real substance. Your term is the most inappropriate I've read in a long time.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
User avatar
newolder
 
Name: Albert Ross
Posts: 7310
Age: 1
Male

Country: Feudal Estate number 9
Print view this post

Re: Sacrifice Holograms - widespread barriers to much success?

#15  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 06, 2020 12:21 pm

OK, but basically less substance than a single packet of instant noodles, and, difinitavely, FAAAAR less than they appear to. Anyway, other terms...Motivational Ghosts. Motivational Spooks.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9196
Age: 39

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Sacrifice Holograms - widespread barriers to much success?

#16  Postby Fallible » Feb 06, 2020 12:24 pm

WTF are you talking about, ‘projected from the negative aspects of the bad habit’? What are these words supposed to convey?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Sacrifice Holograms - widespread barriers to much success?

#17  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 06, 2020 12:26 pm

I've explained it at length in two different ways already.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9196
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Sacrifice Holograms - widespread barriers to much success?

#18  Postby newolder » Feb 06, 2020 12:27 pm

Keep It Real wrote:OK, but basically less substance than a single packet of instant noodles, and, difinitavely, FAAAAR less than they appear to. Anyway, other terms...Motivational Ghosts. Motivational Spooks.


If that were the case then one should be able to post a (link to a) hologram of a packet of instant noodles that did not use a packet of instant noodles in its creation. :popcorn:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
User avatar
newolder
 
Name: Albert Ross
Posts: 7310
Age: 1
Male

Country: Feudal Estate number 9
Print view this post

Re: Sacrifice Holograms - widespread barriers to much success?

#19  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 06, 2020 12:29 pm

This is not the philosophy subforum.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9196
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Sacrifice Holograms - widespread barriers to much success?

#20  Postby Fallible » Feb 06, 2020 12:30 pm

Keep It Real wrote:OK, but basically less substance than a single packet of instant noodles, and, difinitavely, FAAAAR less than they appear to. Anyway, other terms...Motivational Ghosts. Motivational Spooks.


OR, how about we use terms that already exist, for example emotional reasoning, automatic thoughts and excessive engagement of rewarding stimuli? Because we don’t want to complicate things any more than they already are by introducing terms that already refer to other very different things?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest