Sacrifice your life - my new mantra

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Sacrifice your life - my new mantra

#141  Postby Fallible » Feb 13, 2017 4:04 pm

BlackBart wrote:Well, I'm always on the lookout for a Swedish therapist who offers CBT. :shifty:

The fact that I know what you mean says nothing about me at all.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#142  Postby Sendraks » Feb 13, 2017 4:12 pm

Fallible wrote:I echo what Sendraks says. Apart from this being a regulated and vetted pool of therapists, you'll save yourself a fucktonne of money. You won't lose anything by going to see your doctor and getting the process started in tandem with going to see this one you've got.

Here's the thing with going to the GP.
It takes effort.

You actually have to get off your arse, call the surgery, arrange an appointment and physically get yourself down there to see the GP.

Actually making the effort to do something, tends to make a person more invested in the outputs of whatever it is they're doing. The more "least resistance" is incorporated into an endeavour, the less personal investment there is. As I see it, KIR has taken the easiest route to complying with the request to access a counsellor and while it costs more, is less effort than accessing the NHS.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#143  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 13, 2017 4:14 pm

ok so i made an appointment with my gp. first one available for non-emergencies (debatable) is the first of march. I'll pay for sessions until then at least....maybe i'll be cured quick of this inability to deal with boredom.

I'll see kajsa on wednesday and my gp for a referrel on 1st of march. Don't let it be said any more that I'm unwilling to seek professional help.

It's reassuring, Fallible, that she seems ok to you for the most part. This person centred lark is endemic! She might feel a little overwhelmed when we meet.....the booze, the drugs, the nicotine, the schizophrenia, the first class degree in economics and psychology...i feel sorry for her already.
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#144  Postby Fallible » Feb 13, 2017 4:17 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Fallible wrote:I echo what Sendraks says. Apart from this being a regulated and vetted pool of therapists, you'll save yourself a fucktonne of money. You won't lose anything by going to see your doctor and getting the process started in tandem with going to see this one you've got.

Here's the thing with going to the GP.
It takes effort.

You actually have to get off your arse, call the surgery, arrange an appointment and physically get yourself down there to see the GP.

Actually making the effort to do something, tends to make a person more invested in the outputs of whatever it is they're doing. The more "least resistance" is incorporated into an endeavour, the less personal investment there is. As I see it, KIR has taken the easiest route to complying with the request to access a counsellor and while it costs more, is less effort than accessing the NHS.

Well, I half agree. The other half of me, engendered through experience of working in a free service for seven years, says that people are also likely to make more of an effort if they have to pay. Payment seems to confer an inherent value. If a service is free, it doesn't cost you anything to not bother to get out of bed for your appointment, and 'free' gets translated by some as 'not worth charging for', or 'not important'.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#145  Postby BlackBart » Feb 13, 2017 4:28 pm

Fallible wrote:
BlackBart wrote:Well, I'm always on the lookout for a Swedish therapist who offers CBT. :shifty:

Compulsory basic training - I've just bought a moped. What did you think I meant? :eh:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#146  Postby Fallible » Feb 13, 2017 4:30 pm

Keep It Real wrote:ok so i made an appointment with my gp. first one available for non-emergencies (debatable) is the first of march. I'll pay for sessions until then at least....maybe i'll be cured quick of this inability to deal with boredom.

You won't be cured. She's not a doctor, nor does she have a magic wand. She's not there to cure you, she's there to aid you to help yourself.

I'll see kajsa on wednesday and my gp for a referrel on 1st of march. Don't let it be said any more that I'm unwilling to seek professional help.

Like any good sceptic, I revise my views based on available evidence. In this I'm also taking a Person-Centred approach - a kind of gullible positive regard. In other words, I choose to accept what you say regarding this as the truth.

It's reassuring, Fallible, that she seems ok to you for the most part. This person centred lark is endemic! She might feel a little overwhelmed when we meet.....the booze, the drugs, the nicotine, the schizophrenia, the first class degree in economics and psychology...i feel sorry for her already.

Well don't. If she's been working for any amount of time, she'll have heard everything you have to say several times over. I know I have. Ritualistic child abuse, seven year old gun runners, people whose mums are also their sisters and whose uncles are also their grandads, paedophile rings, sex addiction including use of males only sex dungeons, mums who woke up to find their children dead, a woman whose brother was pushed onto a bonfire and murdered, asylum seekers who handed over a detailed report of all the torture methods they'd had visited on them, I could go on. Plus of course she'll only know what you choose to tell her. My experience is that if any client has even had a sniff of psychology or counselling education, it's one of the first things out of their mouths. :lol: There can be a lot of 'fine I'm in therapy, but I think you should know that I know what I'm talking about' in these situations.
Last edited by Fallible on Feb 13, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#147  Postby Fallible » Feb 13, 2017 4:30 pm

BlackBart wrote:
Fallible wrote:

Compulsory basic training - I've just bought a moped. What did you think I meant? :eh:

Exactly that. :shifty:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#148  Postby Sendraks » Feb 13, 2017 4:44 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I'll see kajsa on wednesday and my gp for a referrel on 1st of march. Don't let it be said any more that I'm unwilling to seek professional help.

To be clear, this is an ongoing process. If you seek professional help and it doesn't work, you seek more help and you keep seeking help until some formulation of help actually works. With mental health problems, there are no silver bullets out there, it all requires effort and what works for one person doesn't work for another. I've seen, far too many times, people using the excuse that they got help ONE TIME and it didn't work, therefore they're a lot cause and there is no point trying anymore. In some of those cases, the individual was simply seeking an excuse to wallow in their issues, because their mental health had come to define them. "Hi I'm really depressed and I've made the mistake of thinking that people find that interesting."

As Fall said, you won't be "cured" you'll be given help to develop processes the enable you to overcome your problems. Not all of these will be easy and some of it can be downright difficult.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#149  Postby Fallible » Feb 13, 2017 4:56 pm

I think this having got help one time and it didn't work definitely feeds into this idea that their mental health defines them. If you'll allow me to go full TA for a minute, one of the games we can play is 'ain't it awful' - isn't everything just bad and wrong, you see what I'm up against, etc, etc. One can develop an attitude of setting oneself up to not be fixed before they even attend a session - 'I can't be fixed, see how even the professionals tried and failed? I'm a special kind of fucked up you haven't seen before'.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#150  Postby Sendraks » Feb 13, 2017 5:01 pm

Fallible wrote: 'I can't be fixed, see how even the professionals tried and failed? I'm a special kind of fucked up you haven't seen before'.

They're so original.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#151  Postby Fallible » Feb 13, 2017 5:02 pm

Special. Special little snowflakes?
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#152  Postby Sendraks » Feb 13, 2017 5:08 pm

They're not like the other snowflakes.
Apart from being cold and damp and having zero substance when exposed any amount of heat.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#153  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 13, 2017 11:11 pm

Fallible wrote:

I am a bit worried she might be too beautiful, and that I'll just fall in love with her. Hope she's got a big wart on her face :mrgreen:
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#154  Postby Fallible » Feb 14, 2017 9:14 am

She won't let that go on anyway, if she's any good.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#155  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 14, 2017 1:18 pm

I'm really looking forward to it.....just having a friendly ear I can bear my inner-most problems to. It's a 50 minute session, £25 for the first sesh, £35 thereafter. I'm going to put my best foot forward - freshly showered, contact lenses in....try to be as positive as possible...look on the bright side. Just knowing I'm getting some help makes me feel a whole lot better. I remember a discussion about the placebo effect where it was said that simply being a recipient of care and attention stimulates one's physiology to release healing, beneficial, pleasurable chemicals. It wouldn't surprise me if the same is true for psychotherapy.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#156  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 14, 2017 6:03 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I'm really looking forward to it.....just having a friendly ear I can bear my inner-most problems to. It's a 50 minute session, £25 for the first sesh, £35 thereafter. I'm going to put my best foot forward - freshly showered, contact lenses in....try to be as positive as possible...look on the bright side. Just knowing I'm getting some help makes me feel a whole lot better. I remember a discussion about the placebo effect where it was said that simply being a recipient of care and attention stimulates one's physiology to release healing, beneficial, pleasurable chemicals. It wouldn't surprise me if the same is true for psychotherapy.

I really hope it goes well KIR.
I'm in a similar position right now and for me at least, finally receiving help, is itself an improvement.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#157  Postby Fallible » Feb 14, 2017 6:06 pm

Waiting to hear how it went, KIR.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#158  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 14, 2017 8:33 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:I'm really looking forward to it.....just having a friendly ear I can bear my inner-most problems to. It's a 50 minute session, £25 for the first sesh, £35 thereafter. I'm going to put my best foot forward - freshly showered, contact lenses in....try to be as positive as possible...look on the bright side. Just knowing I'm getting some help makes me feel a whole lot better. I remember a discussion about the placebo effect where it was said that simply being a recipient of care and attention stimulates one's physiology to release healing, beneficial, pleasurable chemicals. It wouldn't surprise me if the same is true for psychotherapy.

I'm in a similar position right now and for me at least, finally receiving help, is itself an improvement.

Thanks Thomas. I knowyou're not narcissistic enough to start a whole thread about your issues (I've started many), but how is your therapy going? I hope it's going well. Your razor sharp intellectual rebuttals are a marvel and surely indicative of a special kind of human being, worth saving from pain.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#159  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 14, 2017 8:34 pm

Fallible wrote:Waiting to hear how it went, KIR.

Cheers Fallible, I'll tell you all about it once I get home tomorrow circa 4pm.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#160  Postby Fallible » Feb 14, 2017 8:48 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Thanks Thomas. I knowyou're not narcissistic enough to start a whole thread about your issues (I've started many), but how is your therapy going? I hope it's going well. Your razor sharp intellectual rebuttals are a marvel and surely indicative of a special kind of human being, worth saving from pain.

Couldn't agree more.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience