Sacrifice your life - my new mantra

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Sacrifice your life - my new mantra

#161  Postby Fallible » Feb 14, 2017 8:48 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
Fallible wrote:Waiting to hear how it went, KIR.

Cheers Fallible, I'll tell you all about it once I get home tomorrow circa 4pm.

Well, if you feel like it, I'd be interested.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#162  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 15, 2017 12:32 am

Keep It Real wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:I'm really looking forward to it.....just having a friendly ear I can bear my inner-most problems to. It's a 50 minute session, £25 for the first sesh, £35 thereafter. I'm going to put my best foot forward - freshly showered, contact lenses in....try to be as positive as possible...look on the bright side. Just knowing I'm getting some help makes me feel a whole lot better. I remember a discussion about the placebo effect where it was said that simply being a recipient of care and attention stimulates one's physiology to release healing, beneficial, pleasurable chemicals. It wouldn't surprise me if the same is true for psychotherapy.

I really hope it goes well KIR.
I'm in a similar position right now and for me at least, finally receiving help, is itself an improvement.

Thanks Thomas. I knowyou're not narcissistic enough to start a whole thread about your issues (I've started many), but how is your therapy going?

I haven't had therapy yet, just a couple of intake conversations and since 3 weeks ago, Sertraline.
Just had a checkup this morning and on advise of my doctor I will increase the dosage again from 100 to 150 mgs.
Imo I am not noticing any effects yet, except for even worse sleeping problems than before, but the doc says it might still take a while to properly take effect.
Friday I will start group therapy. Which is called 'Think yourself strong'. An annoyingly woo sounding name, but I am willing to try.
Next checkup is in a month so we can discuss the effect of both the meds and the therapy.

Keep It Real wrote:
I hope it's going well. Your razor sharp intellectual rebuttals are a marvel and surely indicative of a special kind of human being, worth saving from pain.

I surely appreciate the sentiment, but that's a bit much. :cheers: ;)
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#163  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 15, 2017 12:36 am

Fallible wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:
Fallible wrote:Waiting to hear how it went, KIR.

Cheers Fallible, I'll tell you all about it once I get home tomorrow circa 4pm.

Well, if you feel like it, I'd be interested.

Ditto for me.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#164  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 15, 2017 4:00 pm

So I arrived 15 minutes early and had to wait outside in the pouring rain for my time. It turns out Kajser is in her 60s and there was no romantic attraction, thankfully. She greeted me warmly and showed me through to her therapy room. She asked a lot of questions about my life and offered a couple of really salient pieces of advice. One of these was to say, "if you don't drink/do drugs, whats the worst thing that could happen?". I'd never really thought about this before, but eventually answered "I'd be miserable". It wouldn't kill you, and you'd get used to it, was her next line. This is an optimistic way of looking at things and I am now galvanised to try and weather the storm. I really want to impress her with my progress....telling her all about my life story and traumas/problems did make me feel a little depressed at first but then a feeling of relief at sharing took over. Going for session number 2 next wednesday.

:thumbup:
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician.
"You can't be disappointed in people if you have no expectations of them." - Fallible
https://soundcloud.com/sciteks
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#165  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 15, 2017 5:12 pm

Sounds like a good start. Stick with it!
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#166  Postby Fallible » Feb 15, 2017 5:26 pm

Well done, KIR.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#167  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 15, 2017 6:15 pm

Cheers folks. She said one other particularly interesting thing, that perhaps my aversion to boredom could be symptomatic of attention deficit disorder. That had never occurred to me before - I thought it only affected kids for some reason. I wonder....
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician.
"You can't be disappointed in people if you have no expectations of them." - Fallible
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#168  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 15, 2017 6:53 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Cheers folks. She said one other particularly interesting thing, that perhaps my aversion to boredom could be symptomatic of attention deficit disorder. That had never occurred to me before - I thought it only affected kids for some reason. I wonder....

I know several adults who suffer from add and adhd.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#169  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 15, 2017 6:56 pm

The pacing, the restlessness, the substance abuse, the inability to concentrate on my work....I really think she might be on to something. I'll talk to my GP about it when I see him.....maybe he'll put me on some more meds - stimulants are the standard treatment I believe.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#170  Postby Fallible » Feb 15, 2017 9:21 pm

Yep, there might be something to that. I find it a lot with problematic gamblers too.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#171  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 15, 2017 9:30 pm

She just jumped right on it Fallible - after i'd told her a bit about myself. She seems really great....intuitive...experienced. I'm a lucky man to receive help from such a wise woman.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#172  Postby Fallible » Feb 15, 2017 9:32 pm

It ain't about luck. You sought the help out yourself, so maybe acknowledge your own part in that. Glad it looks positive for you.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#173  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 15, 2017 9:47 pm

Fallible wrote:It ain't about luck. You sought the help out yourself, so maybe acknowledge your own part in that. Glad it looks positive for you.

:this: Don't dismiss your own efforts and capacity to improve youself.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#174  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 15, 2017 9:52 pm

It was quite courageous of me, actually, wasn't it? Maybe I'm not as much of a coward as I imagine.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#175  Postby tuco » Feb 15, 2017 9:58 pm

Seeing your 16/2 .. I dunno what to say. Good luck. Seriously. I just hope the professionals will be able to help you. Not like helping my friend, diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, whom they just changed pills. Pills change fuck all. They got him job doing kind of origami. He is not stupid. Fucking amateurs and morons.
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#176  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 15, 2017 10:05 pm

tuco wrote:#120

Seeing your 16/2 .. I dunno what to say. Good luck. Seriously. I just hope the professionals will be able to help you. Not like helping my friend, diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, whom they just changed pills. Pills change fuck all. They got him job doing kind of origami. He is not stupid. Fucking amateurs and morons.

Pills saved my life tuco, my friend. Without my antipsychotics I'd be lost to a world of madness. I'm drinking tonight cos I think I've got ADD and need treatment to stop, but will try to brave it out until I get the meds from tomorrow.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#177  Postby tuco » Feb 15, 2017 10:13 pm

I am not saying pills are useless but I do believe you need to understand that pills will not save your life as you would like to be it. Work will, satisfaction from doing work respectively, appreciation of your work by others resp-respectively, will.
tuco

Print view this post

#178  Postby Fallible » Feb 15, 2017 10:30 pm

Keep It Real wrote:It was quite courageous of me, actually, wasn't it?

Yes.

Maybe I'm not as much of a coward as I imagine.

No maybe about it.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#179  Postby laklak » Feb 16, 2017 6:04 pm

Well done mate.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#180  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 16, 2017 9:03 pm

Thanks laklak :)

tuco wrote:I am not saying pills are useless but I do believe you need to understand that pills will not save your life as you would like to be it. Work will, satisfaction from doing work respectively, appreciation of your work by others resp-respectively, will.

I actually agree with this, and am giving myself a full time job as a writer from tomorrow, 9am - 5pm. It will be hard, it will be arduous, and yet it will give rewards beyond my wildest dreams.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience