Sacrifice your life - my new mantra

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Sacrifice your life - my new mantra

#81  Postby Keep It Real » Jan 20, 2017 2:02 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:Perfect abstinence doesn't seem to be working out so great for you either.

It's a work in progress. I'm getting better at it. 26 hours down...

Maybe focus more on cutting down? Pay attention to what pushes you over the edge and work on avoiding/eliminating that?

I told you - cutting down doesn't work with me at all. Ever.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#82  Postby Fallible » Jan 20, 2017 12:26 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I don't see what you're suggesting Fallible. I reckon if I want to give up the vices I need to give up the vices. I'll crack it in the end - another pure day today, for example.

You do so see what I'm suggesting. Don't give me that blather.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#83  Postby Keep It Real » Jan 20, 2017 2:06 pm

I've fallen off again. Bought baccy and now booze. Became unbearably bored. Try again tomorrow with the mantra "the devil makes work for idle hands".
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 20, 2017 2:29 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I've fallen off again. Bought baccy and now booze. Became unbearably bored. Try again tomorrow with the mantra "the devil makes work for idle hands".

KIR, unless you seek help, you're at best going to keep repeating this cycle and at worst get so disappointed/frustrated with yourself that you'll become even more destructive to yourself.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#85  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 20, 2017 2:38 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:Perfect abstinence doesn't seem to be working out so great for you either.

If you're counting the hours, you're about to fall off. Just so you know, for future cognisance.

Maybe focus more on cutting down? Pay attention to what pushes you over the edge and work on avoiding/eliminating that?

And apparently cold turkey doesn't work for you at all. Ever. Whatever pushes you over the edge when you have a little, is pushing you over the edge when you have none, so work on figuring out why even the shittiest of shitty reasoning gets you to break your mantra and your super mega life revelation. Preferably with a professional.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#86  Postby Keep It Real » Jan 20, 2017 3:01 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:

If you're counting the hours, you're about to fall off. Just so you know, for future cognisance.

And apparently cold turkey doesn't work for you at all. Ever. Whatever pushes you over the edge when you have a little, is pushing you over the edge when you have none, so work on figuring out why even the shittiest of shitty reasoning gets you to break your mantra and your super mega life revelation. Preferably with a professional.

OK, I won't count the hours next time.

Cold turkey has worked for me in the past - I quit fags (but not booze) for a year in my 20s. It's my best bet. Who are these no-smoking proffesionals of which you speak? Or perhaps you are suggesting psychoanalysis?
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#87  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 20, 2017 3:28 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:

OK, I won't count the hours next time.

Missing the point. Be aware of what happens before you fall off so you don't fall off. You're not a potted plant, so you're perfectly capable of deciding to not fall off. But you need to be more aware of when its happening.

Cold turkey has worked for me in the past - I quit fags (but not booze) for a year in my 20s. It's my best bet. Who are these no-smoking proffesionals of which you speak? Or perhaps you are suggesting psychoanalysis?

I am suggesting psychological help, yes. Your GP probably isn't going to be able to help you with the fact that less than stellar tea seems to cause a drug spiral.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#88  Postby tuco » Jan 20, 2017 7:36 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I think I needed a carrot - something to look forward to. I've decided that that carrot is sex. It doesn't make sense to behave in a way which prevents one from having some sex, from a genetic/deterministic perspective and it's jolly good fun to boot, from what I can remember. The stick is the image of the fire. Carrot and stick working together...what could possibly go wrong?!

That is why I suggested the library. Meeting a girl in sociobiology section and having sex in a tent in outskirts of Rawalpindi is a dream come true.
tuco

Print view this post

#89  Postby surreptitious57 » Jan 22, 2017 8:35 am

Keep It Real wrote:
Became unbearably bored

Why not make a list of all the things that you could do when you
are bored and then pick one of them to do the next time you are
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#90  Postby Fallible » Jan 22, 2017 3:37 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:
Became unbearably bored

Why not make a list of all the things that you could do when you
are bored and then pick one of them to do the next time you are

This is a good suggestion. Some people also take a box and put lots of time wasting or diverting things in it.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#91  Postby laklak » Jan 22, 2017 5:59 pm

Good idea. But don't put booze, drugs, cigs, or tea in it.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#92  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 22, 2017 6:22 pm

Definitely not the tea, that's the real killer. And whatever the hell Dave McC is drinking.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#93  Postby LucidFlight » Jan 23, 2017 3:57 pm

For what it's worth, I understand what the OP is talking about. In some ways, it's like a rebirth or resurrection. As an ex-theist and a lady, I often think of my current life as literally being a new chapter in a cosmic book of experience. Long gone are the teachings of William Lane Craig.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Luv
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#94  Postby Keep It Real » Jan 23, 2017 4:09 pm

I've decided to not worry about the smoking for now - I'm just not in a place where I'm able to quit at the moment. No drugs or booze is my goal.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#95  Postby Fallible » Jan 23, 2017 6:39 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I've decided to not worry about the smoking for now - I'm just not in a place where I'm able to quit at the moment. No drugs or booze is my goal.

Good call, KIR.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#96  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 23, 2017 6:44 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I've decided to not worry about the smoking for now - I'm just not in a place where I'm able to quit at the moment. No drugs or booze is my goal.

Good, one step at a time. :thumbup:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#97  Postby Keep It Real » Jan 23, 2017 6:48 pm

Thanks Fallible and Thomas Eshuis, I guess this is something along the lines of what you were suggesting. I'm going to get vaping again tomorrow - I have found it to be perfectly satisfactory in the past, it can't surely be worse than smoking from a health perspective and it's cheaper to boot.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#98  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 23, 2017 6:51 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Thanks Fallible and Thomas Eshuis, I guess this is something along the lines of what you were suggesting. I'm going to get vaping again tomorrow - I have found it to be perfectly satisfactory in the past, it can't surely be worse than smoking from a health perspective and it's cheaper to boot.

I have virtually no exprience, neither directly or indirectly with smoking adition, so take my suggestions in that light; have you tried electronic smokers and/or nicotine patches?

Btw, I still stand by my original point, the best solution is to seek help.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#99  Postby Keep It Real » Jan 23, 2017 6:59 pm

vaping = electronic smokers.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#100  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 23, 2017 7:36 pm

Keep It Real wrote:vaping = electronic smokers.

Ah, I was imagining some vapor machine similar to the ones used to combat the cold.
Thanks for clearin that up. :cheers:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience