secular alternatives to Alcoholics Anonymous?

In need of some ideas

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: secular alternatives to Alcoholics Anonymous?

#41  Postby Keep It Real » Jan 05, 2019 8:30 pm

Personally, I'm doing OK re the boozing ATM, I just went for the company.
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby surreptitious57 » Jan 06, 2019 6:40 am

Keep It Real wrote:
Went to an AA meeting the other day - the reading from the big book was about grasping spirituality and the guest speaker
( 5 years dry but still going to aa and describing himself as an alcoholic like somebody who has been dry from alcohol for 5 years is a problem drinker FFS ) went on at length about how he fought against belief in a higher power for most of his life because he was so arrogant he refused to be told what to believe - I walked out at that point . Calling me arrogant for
being a rational atheist . Fuck aa sideways

From the way you have referenced it it is obvious that he was only talking about himself not atheists in general
As he never actually that said YOU were arrogant yet you walk out as you simply assumed that he did say this

You have a serious problem with people of faith peacefully expressing their opinion in public you know
Remember your hissy fit last year because Jehovahs Witnesses refused to answer your loaded questions

They were peacefully standing there minding their own business until you started to harass them for no good reason
What gives you the right to do this to people ? I never ever harass Jehovahs Witnesses and I see them all of the time

Why not just go to an AA meeting and befriend the people there if you are feeling a bit lonely ?
So what if they believe in a higher power ? Long as they are not imposing it on you let them be

I can be friends with absolutely anyone no matter what they believe and so can you if you really make the effort to
Try to understand that not everyone thinks like you and it doesnt make them any less of a human being for doing so

I still have hope for you as I always do but you seriously need to work on your impulse control
I would like you to go back to that AA meeting but this time stay there and make some friends

Not for my sake but for yours so ultimately the choice is yours and yours only to make
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#43  Postby Keep It Real » Jan 07, 2019 7:46 pm

Oh boy, I guess I will reply to this afterall, but I reckon you ain't gonna like it sur...

surreptitious57 wrote:From the way you have referenced it it is obvious that he was only talking about himself not atheists in general, as he never actually said that YOU were arrogant yet you walk out as you simply assumed that he did say this

I took it as him stating atheism is arrogance, that certainly being how he now views his atheism, sadly departed.

surreptitious57 wrote:You have a serious problem with people of faith peacefully expressing their opinion in public you know. Remember your hissy fit last year because Jehovahs Witnesses refused to answer your loaded questions

I've never had a "Hissy fit" at any JWs. The reason I take issue with the proselytisers is because religion of the types I encounter are manifestly detrimental to society and the planet, IMO. Unlike you I don't only care about things which "directly affect me" - how you can resolve to isolate yourself still further from life at large is....very sad.

surreptitious57 wrote:They were peacefully standing there minding their own business until you started to harass them for no good reason. What gives you the right to do this to people ? I never ever harass Jehovahs Witnesses and I see them all of the time

Tobacco advertising is banned in all shops, magazines and TV because it's bad for people. They were not "minding their own business" they were advertising their sick twisted superstitions with enough bare faced brazen confidence that it manifest with a stand and bare leaflets etc in a unique "in your face" way in front of children, fools, the vulnerable and me alike. Perhaps the reason JWs don't bother you is because, by your own admission, you only care about yourself.

surreptitious57 wrote:Why not just go to an AA meeting and befriend the people there if you are feeling a bit lonely ? So what if they believe in a higher power ? Long as they are not imposing it on you let them be...I can be friends with absolutely anyone no matter what they believe and so can you if you really make the effort to. Try to understand that not everyone thinks like you and it doesnt make them any less of a human being for doing so

I can't be friends with just anyone, I have standards, and anyone who could stomach that shite is far removed from yours truly.

surreptitious57 wrote:I still have hope for you

I wish I could say the feeling is mutual.

surreptitious57 wrote:as I always do but you seriously need to work on your impulse control.

Well, you seriously need to work on your isolationist antisocial narcissism control. :dunno:

surreptitious57 wrote:I would like you to go back to that AA meeting but this time stay there and make some friends

Nope, AA regulars are manifestly unsuitable for me. Lol at the irony of you wishing me new friendships yet wishing you more isolation still. :roll:

surreptitious57 wrote:Not for my sake but for yours so ultimately the choice is yours and yours only to make

Well, I do have plans for lots of social stuff later in the week if that pleases you :eh:
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#44  Postby surreptitious57 » Jan 07, 2019 9:00 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
as I always do but you seriously need to work on your impulse control

you seriously need to work on your isolationist antisocial narcissism control

You telling me that I need to work on my antisocial control ... oh the irony
Also I am not narcissistic and my isolationism is not harming any one at all
Where as your anger is harming both you and all those on its receiving end

I used to be angry once just like you but then I realised that it was all a waste of energy and entirely unnecessary
What exactly do you achieve by being so angry anyway ? You do realise it controls you not the other way around ?

Peace to you anyway [ because you definitely could do with some ]
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#45  Postby Keep It Real » Jan 07, 2019 9:43 pm

I'm not angry sur, nor was I last post. I do get angry occasionally, like most people.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Keep It Real » Jan 08, 2019 2:02 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:You have a serious problem with people of faith peacefully expressing their opinion in public you know. Remember your hissy fit last year because Jehovahs Witnesses refused to answer your loaded questions

I've never had a "Hissy fit" at any JWs. The reason I take issue with the proselytisers is because religion of the types I encounter are manifestly detrimental to society and the planet, IMO. Unlike you I don't only care about things which "directly affect me" - how you can resolve to isolate yourself still further from life at large is....very sad.

Walking back from the bus stop just now I passed an 18/19 year old girl, her face distorted in anguish, saying repeatedly "O ye repent" - you know what there was round the corner? A JW stand and three cenobytes. Another young mind driven toward painful insanity by their type of toxic theology. As long as you're happy though eh sur. :hand:
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#47  Postby surreptitious57 » Jan 08, 2019 2:59 pm

So how long will it take you to deconvert her ? Or are you content to just walk on by amd do nothing ?
Because if you are then you cannot seriously accuse me of being detached and isolated now can you ?
surreptitious57

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby Keep It Real » Jan 08, 2019 3:26 pm

I tried to talk to her but she wasn't listening. I told her I was an atheist. I then went home, posted here, and went back into town to find her if she was still there armed with the crisis team number. I found her waiting at the bus stop and gave her the number after she refused my calling them, tried to talk some more too but she wasn't replying - at least she wasn't still talking at the sky. I closed by saying "I've gotta go now and I hope you feel better" and she replead "thank you, I will" - her face riven with anguish again and voice wavering. I also try to prevent this type of stuff from happening by vociferously espousing atheism and denouncing religion whenever I remember.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience