Teaching people to fear jail. Yes/No?

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Teaching people to fear jail. Yes/No?

#1  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 24, 2017 5:41 pm

A teenager who killed seven-year-old Katie Rough has been detained for life and ordered to serve a minimum term of five years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-42112979

So the perpetrator thought people were robots. If she'd have spent the night in a sensory deprivation repping jail cell before the incident perhaps she would have thought twice before assaulting the little girl. Sad story.
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Teaching people to fear jail. Yes/No?

#2  Postby zoon » Nov 25, 2017 10:16 am

Keep It Real wrote:
A teenager who killed seven-year-old Katie Rough has been detained for life and ordered to serve a minimum term of five years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-42112979

So the perpetrator thought people were robots. If she'd have spent the night in a sensory deprivation repping jail cell before the incident perhaps she would have thought twice before assaulting the little girl. Sad story.

The teenager in question appears to have had serious mental health problems for about a year before the stabbing; I would expect that putting her in a sensory deprivation cell for a night, before she had committed any crime, would have been at least as likely to send her over the edge more quickly.

Forced sensory deprivation tends to be regarded as illegal, amounting to torture:

Wikipedia wrote:Short-term sessions of sensory deprivation are described as relaxing and conducive to meditation; however, extended or forced sensory deprivation can result in extreme anxiety, hallucinations,[2] bizarre thoughts, and depression.[3]

A related phenomenon is perceptual deprivation, also called the ganzfeld effect. In this case a constant uniform stimulus is used instead of attempting to remove the stimuli; this leads to effects which have similarities to sensory deprivation.[4]

Sensory deprivation techniques were developed by some of the armed forces within NATO, as a means of interrogating prisoners within international treaty obligations.[5] The European Court of Human Rights ruled that the use of the five techniques by British security forces in Northern Ireland amounted to a practice of inhumane and degrading treatment.
zoon

Print view this post

#3  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 25, 2017 2:42 pm

Well, perhaps so, but it might have stopped her and many crimes of others besides. At least if she'd gone over the edge in the cell she'd have been surrounded by police who would have spotted her illness straight away. Sensory deprivation IMO is the primary deterrent of every jail cell - not prison so much they're a bit nicer in that respect. In the holding cell it's no colour/pictures/music/tv/net/people/literature
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4  Postby SafeAsMilk » Nov 25, 2017 10:07 pm

We should probably also beat our children before they've done anything wrong. Who knows how many misbehaviors it will stop, and it's not like pre-emptively torturing people has any negative effects, right?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 25, 2017 10:42 pm

Can't make an omelette without breaking eggs. No pain no gain. It's not like beating children is acceptable under any circumstance so that's a failed analogy SAM.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#6  Postby SafeAsMilk » Nov 25, 2017 11:12 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Can't make an omelette without breaking eggs. No pain no gain. It's not like beating children is acceptable under any circumstance so that's a failed analogy SAM.

Some people clearly do find it acceptable to beat their children under some circumstances. You've justified it yourself in the first two sentences of your reply. But that's irrelevant anyway because my point is that you wouldn't preemptively throw innocent teenagers into solitary for the same reasons you wouldn't preemptively beat your children. If the only reason you can think of is "because it's illegal", then the true stupidity of this thread has fully revealed itself.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 25, 2017 11:34 pm

Well; some people think it's acceptable to microwave kittens. Don't start calling my stuff stupid SAM. You'll regret it.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby SafeAsMilk » Nov 26, 2017 12:02 am

Keep It Real wrote:Well; some people think it's acceptable to microwave kittens.

So what?

Don't start calling my stuff stupid SAM. You'll regret it.

I doubt that.

If you don't like your ideas being called stupid, then don't hang out on a discussion forum where nuking shitty ideas is one of the primary goals. If you take the nuking of your shitty ideas personally, then you're definitely on the wrong forum.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 26, 2017 10:40 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:Well; some people think it's acceptable to microwave kittens.

So what?

So ur example of beating children is invalid, not only because it's illegal; but also because it's ethically reprehensible. The fact that "some people think it's acceptable" is entirely irrelevant.

I doubt that.

I just meant that in time you'll look back and go "blimey - what a fool I was :nono:"

If you take the nuking of your shitty ideas personally, then you're definitely on the wrong forum.

You haven't nuked anything - and even if somebody did I wouldn't take it personally.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#10  Postby laklak » Nov 26, 2017 11:33 am

They do something like this with the "Scared Straight" programs in the states. At risk kids are taken to the jail and given a glimpse of life there, with inmates screaming in their faces and other jailish stuff. Seems to work in some cases. I spent one night in jail and that cured me from ever doing it again.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Cito di Pense » Nov 26, 2017 11:47 am

laklak wrote:They do something like this with the "Scared Straight" programs in the states. At risk kids are taken to the jail and given a glimpse of life there, with inmates screaming in their faces and other jailish stuff. Seems to work in some cases. I spent one night in jail and that cured me from ever doing it again.

I'll bet you weren't over there on the Group W bench.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Lou Kleener
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#12  Postby laklak » Nov 26, 2017 11:56 am

Mother rapers. Father Stabbers. Father rapers!
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#13  Postby SafeAsMilk » Nov 26, 2017 1:13 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:

So what?

So ur example of beating children is invalid, not only because it's illegal; but also because it's ethically reprehensible.

So is torturing teenagers who haven't done anything by throwing them into solitary confinement :doh: I'm not sure how much more clearly I can spell out to you the fact that your argument defeats itself.

The fact that "some people think it's acceptable" is entirely irrelevant.

It's completely relevant, for reasons I've made quite clear a couple times now.

I doubt that.

I just meant that in time you'll look back and go "blimey - what a fool I was :nono:"

Tell yourself whatever you need to hear.

If you take the nuking of your shitty ideas personally, then you're definitely on the wrong forum.

You haven't nuked anything -

:lol:

and even if somebody did I wouldn't take it personally.

Whatever you say.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Scot Dutchy » Nov 26, 2017 4:53 pm

laklak wrote:They do something like this with the "Scared Straight" programs in the states. At risk kids are taken to the jail and given a glimpse of life there, with inmates screaming in their faces and other jailish stuff. Seems to work in some cases. I spent one night in jail and that cured me from ever doing it again.

The last thing you should do to kids. Fear has not emptied you prisons has it and it never will. The Victorians thought that way.
Our system does.

Dutch Get Creative to Solve a Prison Problem: Too Many Empty Cells
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Sendraks » Nov 27, 2017 10:40 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
The last thing you should do to kids. Fear has not emptied you prisons has it and it never will.

:this:
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby bogdan9310 » Mar 02, 2019 1:42 pm

People should not be thought fear.
bogdan9310

Name: Bogdan Bacosca
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 03, 2019 10:16 am

Fear is a cruel master.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience