The Golden Child Syndrome (short youtube vid inside).

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

The Golden Child Syndrome (short youtube vid inside).

#1  Postby Keep It Real » Aug 24, 2019 5:10 pm

Narcissistic delusions of grandeur anybody?
Keep It Real

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: The Golden Child Syndrome (short youtube vid inside).

#2  Postby Hermit » Aug 24, 2019 8:13 pm

That's not at all what the video suggests.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Keep It Real » Aug 25, 2019 7:49 am

Yes, I know that, but it's a blatant sequitur that NDG might be brought about, at least in part, to people denoting the sufferer "uniquely awesome!" along the way.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#4  Postby Hermit » Aug 25, 2019 8:09 am

Keep It Real wrote:Yes, I know that, but it's a blatant sequitur that NDG might be brought about, at least in part, to people denoting the sufferer "uniquely awesome!" along the way.

That's not what the video suggests either, and as long as you have not empirically substantiated that the so called golden child syndrome typically leads to narcissistic delusions of grandeur, you have in fact uttered a non-sequitur.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Keep It Real » Aug 25, 2019 8:19 am

And the fact the golden child malady/theory in the video is not explicitly statistically/empirically supported is not a problem for you, but my theory need be held to a higher standard of scientific rigour in order to be worthy of discussion on this obscure internet forum because....because...reasons?
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#6  Postby Hermit » Aug 25, 2019 8:35 am

Keep It Real wrote:And the fact the golden child malady/theory in the video is not explicitly statistically/empirically supported is not a problem for you...

Thanks for telling me what I think of the video. :roll:

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Keep It Real » Aug 25, 2019 8:37 am

Please tell me what you think of the video Hermit?
Keep It Real

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Hermit » Aug 25, 2019 8:56 am

Keep It Real wrote:Please tell me what you think of the video Hermit?

Rubbish of the first water. I have read better pop psychology in Psychology Today and Scientific American, and that is setting the bar pretty low.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby Cito di Pense » Aug 25, 2019 9:11 am

Keep It Real wrote:Yes, I know that, but it's a blatant sequitur that NDG might be brought about, at least in part, to people denoting the sufferer "uniquely awesome!" along the way.

It's another half-empty/half-full kind of problem. The problem is really that the glass is twice as large as it needs to be; in other words, there's a mismatch between somebody's accomplishment and his self-opinion. That doesn't traffic in shit like "inferiority complex" or "infantile grandiosity".

It's a separate issue that organisations function to promote some people above their competence and block other people from getting credit for their own work. This is not least because a lot of work is collaborative.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Fay Smask
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Keep It Real » Aug 25, 2019 9:30 am

It's basically...er....totally subjective, denoting a value to one's worth/excellence/craposity. Oh wait...Godwin...it's impossible to say anything nice about Hitler...or at least taboo...I'll have a go...ahem....if it wasn't for Hitler and the Nazis we wouldn't be living in a relatively peaceful world since the end of WW2 due to nukes and MAD. Looking your toddler son in the eye and saying sternly, grim faced, repeatedly "you're SPECIAL" is probs not good parenting however.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#11  Postby Cito di Pense » Aug 25, 2019 10:06 am

Keep It Real wrote:It's basically...er....totally subjective, denoting a value to one's worth/excellence/craposity. Oh wait...Godwin...it's impossible to say anything nice about Hitler...or at least taboo...I'll have a go...ahem....if it wasn't for Hitler and the Nazis we wouldn't be living in a relatively peaceful world since the end of WW2 due to nukes and MAD. Looking your toddler son in the eye and saying sternly, grim faced, repeatedly "you're SPECIAL" is probs not good parenting however.

Parenting is difficult, running a course between being too obsessive about the child's needs and development, and being too oblivious to it. Parents learn as they go, but they might be products of bad parenting, themselves. People write manuals about how to be a good parent, but there's no consensus about whether or not any of them knows what they're doing. Maybe somebody learned how to deliver all that grim-faced praise from a parenting manual of dubious provenance. Sic semper psychobabblorum.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Fay Smask
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience