...the Trouble with Consciousness - Robert Kuhn

The Singularity, Virtual Immortality and the Trouble with Consciousness

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

...the Trouble with Consciousness - Robert Kuhn

#1  Postby kennyc » Oct 17, 2015 1:18 pm

The Singularity, Virtual Immortality and the Trouble with Consciousness (Op-Ed)

The Singularity, Virtual Immortality and the Trouble with Consciousness
by Robert Lawrence Kuhn

According to techno-futurists, the exponential development of technology in general and artificial intelligence (“AI”) in particular — including the complete digital replication of human brains — will radically transform humanity via two revolutions. The first is the "singularity," when artificial intelligence will redesign itself recursively and progressively, such that AI will become vastly more powerful than human intelligence ("superstrong AI"). The second revolution will be "virtual immortality," when the fullness of our mental selves can be uploaded perfectly to nonbiological media (such as silicon chips), and our mental selves will live on beyond the demise of our fleshy, physical bodies.

AI singularity and virtual immortality would mark a startling, transhuman world that techno-futurists envision as inevitable and perhaps just over the horizon. They do not question whether their vision can be actualized; they only debate when will it occur, with estimates ranging from 10 to 100 years. [Artificial Intelligence: Friendly or Frightening? ]

I'm not so sure. Actually, I'm a skeptic — not because I doubt the science, but because I challenge the philosophical foundation of the claims. Consciousness is the elephant in the room, and most techno-futurists do not see it. Whatever consciousness may be, it affects the nature of the AI singularity and determines whether virtual immortality is even possible.

http://www.livescience.com/52503-is-it- ... 0478646760
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: ...the Trouble with Consciousness - Robert Kuhn

#2  Postby igorfrankensteen » Oct 17, 2015 2:14 pm

Another "what is consciousness" thing? Don't we already have several of these?

For now, I'll just put in that the fact that no one agrees what constitutes what consciousness IS, doesn't mean it's magic.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: ...the Trouble with Consciousness - Robert Kuhn

#3  Postby kennyc » Oct 17, 2015 3:41 pm

which is true of anything...the skeptics creed....just because we don't know the origin of the universe, what happens when we die, what dark energy is....
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience