These people recall every moment of every day

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

These people recall every moment of every day

#1  Postby Macdoc » Nov 05, 2018 3:15 am

and there are only 10 known so far

wow.....savants are still such a puzzle. :what:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: These people recall every moment of every day

#2  Postby waga » Nov 11, 2018 5:15 pm

hehe ( good ) prepare the noble prize.
waga
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#3  Postby bogdan9310 » Mar 02, 2019 1:36 pm

Everyone can do that, you just have to know how to focus.
bogdan9310

Male

Timor-Leste (tl)
Print view this post

#4  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 02, 2019 8:40 pm

bogdan9310 wrote:Everyone can do that, you just have to know how to focus.

It's like reading a shitty Ken M.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Thommo » Mar 02, 2019 8:45 pm

It's quite interesting, but as one might imagine the reality is a little more mundane than the title suggests:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthymesia
Difficulties

Hyperthymestic abilities can have a detrimental effect on cognitive capacity. The constant, irrepressible stream of memories has caused significant disruption to AJ's life. She described her recollection as "non-stop, uncontrollable and totally exhausting" and as "a burden".[1] Like all hyperthymestics, AJ is prone to getting lost in remembering. This can make it difficult to attend to the present or future, as she is permanently living in the past.

AJ displays considerable difficulty in memorizing allocentric information. "Her autobiographical memory, while incredible, is also selective and even ordinary in some respects," – McGaugh.[1] This was demonstrated by AJ's poor performance on standardised memory tests. At school, AJ was an average student, clearly unable to apply her exceptional memory to her studies. Similar patterns have been observed in other cases of hyperthymesia.

Deficits in executive functioning and anomalous lateralisation were also identified in AJ. These cognitive deficiencies are characteristic of frontostriatal disorders.[1]

Even those with a high level of hyperthymesia do not remember exactly everything in their lives or have "perfect memory". Studies have shown that it is a selective ability, as shown by AJ's case, and they have great difficultly with rote memorization and therefore cannot apply their ability to school and work. Their memorization of events tends to exceed their ability to memorize given facts; for example, if you told a hyperthymesiac a fact about the world, they may not remember what you said, but they will more likely remember what you wore and other details of the situation when you told them.
Thommo

Print view this post

#6  Postby tuco » Mar 02, 2019 10:41 pm

I wonder if memory of "every second of their life" would even fit in their heads. Its not like memory is unlimited, or?
tuco

Print view this post

#7  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 03, 2019 11:34 am

I don't think brains are that much like hard drives, and memories like bytes. As I understand, memories are spread out and reinforced across neurons and associated with other memories. I think it's more of an organizational problem.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Macdoc » Mar 03, 2019 12:07 pm

Yep - apparently there can be a specific neuron to a specific memory.

One Face, One Neuron
Storing Halle Berry in a single brain cell

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... ne-neuron/

100 billion neurons
The average human brain has about 100 billion neurons (or nerve cells) and many more neuroglia (or glial cells) which serve to support and protect the neurons (although see the end of this page for more information on glial cells).

:what:

I suspect the super memory people have an enhanced ability to access neurons ( obviously ) ...one described it like flipping through a rolodex.

We also know that humans can add neurons to various parts of the brain ...

Cache Cab: Taxi Drivers' Brains Grow to Navigate London's Streets
Memorizing 25,000 city streets balloons the hippocampus, but cabbies may pay a hidden fare in cognitive skills

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... xi-memory/

That's an interesting comparison against Thommos article about impaired rote memory :scratch:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby tuco » Mar 03, 2019 12:15 pm

Whether or not brains are HDs, they have a capacity. Every second of their life I call bullshit until proven otherwise.
tuco

Print view this post

#10  Postby Macdoc » Mar 03, 2019 1:25 pm

Well since there is no recording of every second to compare to that's a rather easy diss. :roll:

A moment is not a second and regardless of the time segment the ability to recall any part of a random day is remarkable and worthy of further study. :coffee:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 03, 2019 1:35 pm

tuco wrote:Whether or not brains are HDs, they have a capacity.

You assert brains have a max memory capacity, so show it. Or, you can just flush it with all your other useless assertions.

Every second of their life I call bullshit until proven otherwise.

That's nice. Not worth anything, but nice. Cool story bro!
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby tuco » Mar 03, 2019 3:30 pm

What? I have to show brain dont have unlimited capacity? wow

Bye
tuco

Print view this post

#13  Postby tuco » Mar 03, 2019 3:38 pm

Macdoc wrote:Well since there is no recording of every second to compare to that's a rather easy diss. :roll:

A moment is not a second and regardless of the time segment the ability to recall any part of a random day is remarkable and worthy of further study. :coffee:

Look you posted click bait title. Those people do not recall every moment of every day. Period. "Every second .." is in the video title, again of your providence. To think that its even possible to remember every moment/second because of the amount of data needed to be stored is laughable to me and I am an idiot.
tuco

Print view this post

#14  Postby laklak » Mar 03, 2019 4:28 pm

I don't remember where i put my goddamn phone. Therefore there is a maximum capacity.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Fallible » Mar 03, 2019 9:10 pm

Memories are constructions pulled together after the fact from snippets and things you're later told and imagination filling in the gaps, aren't they? Or am I being stupid again?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Hermit » Mar 04, 2019 4:01 am

Fallible wrote:Memories are constructions pulled together after the fact from snippets and things you're later told and imagination filling in the gaps, aren't they? Or am I being stupid again?

Witness statements prove the unreliability of memories. Reports of significant differences between reports by groups of witnesses describing the same event are legion.

On a personal level, I was talking with my daughter's mother about a common experience we had some decades ago one day. If anyone had listened in they would have become seriously doubtful that we were even talking about the same occasion. And yes, notwithstanding my conviction that my account was accurate, I really do wonder about my certainty. My daughter's mother spoke with the same confidence of the accuracy of her version as I did with mine. Objectively speaking I am in no better position to arbitrate on that than she is.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby surreptitious57 » Mar 04, 2019 4:22 am

I have a terrible memory so would be of very little use to the police
Eye witness accounts very inferior compared to scientific evidence

For this reason I think less is better as it reduces the margin of error quite significantly
Because the more you try to remember the less accurate you are probably going to be
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#18  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 19, 2019 10:55 am

I have yet to see a proper scientific examination of this series of claims. It seems to mostly follow self-reporting and anecdotes.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby Macdoc » Apr 20, 2019 2:44 am

because of the amount of data needed to be stored is laughable to me and I am an idiot.

A single neuron can store a face ...
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... ne-neuron/

100 billion neurons
The average human brain has about 100 billion neurons (or nerve cells) and many more neuroglia (or glial cells) which serve to support and protect the neurons (although see the end of this page for more information on glial cells).

31 million seconds in a year but of course the brain can parse out only changes so there is lots of capacity.

Much depends on the algorithm - you don't need every second to store if one is similar ...the brain only stores the difference.
Also it can ignore anomalies and fill in from previous experience ( Bayesian brain )
- Tehse wrods may look lkie nosnesne, but yuo can raed tehm, cna't yuo?

A memory savant has some method of accessing in a linear sequence ....observers say they appear to be sorting through an index file.

In my view the capability is real in a very few people and scientists would like to know how. That an observed phenomena has no current explanation doesn't mean there isn't one. We don't have anywhere near a complete understanding of how the brain works tho we can duplicated some neurons. Good article here.

Scientists have built an artificial human brain cell
Posted on October 2, 2018 in Featured News, Neuroscience

https://blog.frontiersin.org/2018/10/02 ... ns-memory/
now take that out to the 100 billion complexity and we are growing new brain cells all the time.

It seems impossible to memorize a deck of cards in random order in 5 minutes yet a person can be trained to do it rather easily.
There are even world records for doing it.
A recent world speed record for memorizing a deck of cards was 12.74 seconds, held by Shijir-Erdene Bat-Enkh of Mongolia. A recent world record for the most digits memorized in five minutes was 568, held by Alex Mullen.

It's a sport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_sport

This might give some insight into how a brain handles other tasks

https://artofmemory.com/wiki/Card_Memor ... Techniques

and then there is the London Taxi driver that not only has all the streets down in memory but how to get there and has grown new brain cells to get there.
https://blackcablondon.net/the-knowledg ... e-process/
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#20  Postby tuco » Apr 20, 2019 2:52 am

I repeat, they do not recall every moment of every day, period, and the materials you provided do not support they do.

---
edit: perhaps our disagreement lies in definition/understanding of the recall every moment of every day. By "every" here I understand everything: every noise, every temperature, every blow of wind, every smell, every feeling, every facial expression , every voice pitch, etc etc .. that they can recall what happened on a certain day is as very very far from "every"
tuco

Print view this post

Next

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience