Unconsious is located where in the brain?

Area of the brain that contains unconscious programming

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Unconsious is located where in the brain?

#21  Postby laklak » Aug 06, 2014 4:48 pm

Am I smelling Old Socks already?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 20878
Age: 67
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Unconsious is located where in the brain?

#22  Postby Senin » Aug 06, 2014 8:22 pm

Boy, you guys are pretty nasty. All this for just asking a question.

Funny, I am wasting people's time here. But you take the time to respond. How funny is that?

I should have said subconscious. It would have been easier for you to understand.

You say it has been debunked? By what? That one crummy little article that you showed? I don't think so.

It counts for nothing? This is a discussion forum. That is what we are doing. Discussing. This is not rocket science in this room. Obviously!

The evidence does support a right and left brain. Look it up!
Senin
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 6

Print view this post

Re: Unconsious is located where in the brain?

#23  Postby chairman bill » Aug 06, 2014 8:29 pm

Senin wrote:The evidence does support a right and left brain. Look it up!


Please present the evidence. If you make an assertion, you need to support it. Now, as a psychologist, I'm aware of much of the evidence, and whilst some things are predominantly one or the other, the right/left brain argument is over-stated to a large degree. If you've got evidence that counters the scientific literature on this, I'd like to see it.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
User avatar
chairman bill
RS Donator
 
Posts: 28317
Male

Country: UK: fucked since 2010
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Unconsious is located where in the brain?

#24  Postby Templeton » Aug 06, 2014 11:11 pm

A basic textbook, written in the last couple of years, will contain information that is at least 5 years out of date...

The thing is that with all the new discoveries in neuro-science these days, it's probably better to wait before we think we know all there is to know about the function of the brain.

:coffee:
Templeton
 
Posts: 473

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Unconsious is located where in the brain?

#25  Postby chairman bill » Aug 07, 2014 8:15 am

Templeton wrote:A basic textbook, written in the last couple of years, will contain information that is at least 5 years out of date...
And a new text will have info that is maybe 2 or 3 years out of date. Journal articles will be more recent. The thing is, a textbook will give a general overview & grounding that can offer a basis for understanding general principles & enabling one to better get to grips with the academic literature. In the absence of a university programme, it's probably the best thing available.

The thing is that with all the new discoveries in neuro-science these days, it's probably better to wait before we think we know all there is to know about the function of the brain.

:coffee:
I'm not sure that anyone is claiming to know everything, but some of the ideas the OP is offering are known to contradict the evidence, so I think it's reasonable to say that we know he is wrong in those instances.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
User avatar
chairman bill
RS Donator
 
Posts: 28317
Male

Country: UK: fucked since 2010
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Unconsious is located where in the brain?

#26  Postby Senin » Aug 07, 2014 8:58 am

Bill,

Read My Stroke of Insight by Jill Bolte Taylor.

Perhaps you may get some insights.
Senin
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 6

Print view this post

Re: Unconsious is located where in the brain?

#27  Postby SpeedOfSound » Aug 10, 2014 5:14 pm

Macdoc wrote:That is like asking where the internet is. :roll:

The brain is a neural network - it has emergent properties... take it from there.

I would amend that a bit and say it's like asking for north of the north pole.
User avatar
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator
 
Posts: 32086
Age: 70
Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Unconsious is located where in the brain?

#28  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 10, 2014 9:28 pm

Senin wrote:Bill,

Read My Stroke of Insight by Jill Bolte Taylor.

Perhaps you may get some insights.

Present the two most convincing pieces of evidence here Senin.
We're not going to read a book just on your say-so.
Evidence, not references.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31087
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Unconsious is located where in the brain?

#29  Postby epepke » Aug 11, 2014 9:03 am

This thread is already wahoonie-shaped, but I'll try anyway.

Unconscious processes happen everywhere in the brain and account for the overwhelming majority of processes. There is no one place or area that is unconscious or subconscious or whatever; that was a Freudian/Jungian error. This was probably an understandable sop to the mechanistic Cartesian view of thought (which is flat-out wrong).

Rather, these processes form the basis of all thought and pretty much all brain activity, everywhere. Even when you have a conscious thought, it is built on top of a huge amount of unconscious processing, and what you are conscious of is only the tip of the iceberg.

I suggest looking a the recent developments in Cognitive Science, of which George Lakoff is an excellent popularizer and educator, for more information. You can find some of his books on the web. For a weightier read, try From Molecule to Metaphor by Jerome Feldman.

Don't be too put off by the fact that a lot of these people call themselves linguists and say they study language. The study of language is where this started, but it has become far more than that.
User avatar
epepke
 
Posts: 4080

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Unconsious is located where in the brain?

#30  Postby SpeedOfSound » Aug 11, 2014 10:04 am

epepke wrote:...

Rather, these processes form the basis of all thought and pretty much all brain activity, everywhere. Even when you have a conscious thought, it is built on top of a huge amount of unconscious processing, and what you are conscious of is only the tip of the iceberg.
...

Even that is still a mistake. In my current thinking about all of this.
User avatar
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator
 
Posts: 32086
Age: 70
Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

Re: Unconsious is located where in the brain?

#31  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 11, 2014 10:56 am

epepke wrote:There is no one place or area that is unconscious or subconscious or whatever; that was a Freudian/Jungian error.

Nonsense. This is not a psychology debate, it is a neuroscience debate, so I am not defending Freud or Junge when I say that brain areas specialise according to function, and some functions are conscious, but most are unconscious. Most brain areas had evolved before consciousness appeared.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14913
Age: 67
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Unconsious is located where in the brain?

#32  Postby SpeedOfSound » Aug 11, 2014 11:00 am

One day a baby squirrel popped out it's mama's butt and it looked around and said "I think!" It was much later in evolution that "therefore" and "I am" appeared.
User avatar
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator
 
Posts: 32086
Age: 70
Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

Re: Unconsious is located where in the brain?

#33  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 12, 2014 12:09 pm

A shrew would be more appropriate than a squirrel, Speed. A distant ancestor of all primates is thought to have been shrew-like.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14913
Age: 67
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest