Understanding Homophobia

Its causes and possible cures

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#161  Postby tuco » Jul 23, 2017 10:43 pm

Apparently you are not. I told you in post #81 how it works and what have you done with it?

From where I sit, ignored it and carried on with your "explanations", which I repeat mean nothing to reality.
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#162  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 24, 2017 12:19 am

Keep It Real wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:
Rubbish. Are you thinking that sexual orientation is some sort of a thing you can like or dislike? A matter of taste? Do you even think changing channels is even possible? I don't.

The APA says people realise they are gay, straight or bi at different times during their lives.

Your point being?

Keep It Real wrote: I'm certainly aware of many case studies where lesbians move into straight relationships, or people renounce their historic heterosexuality for homosexuality. People do change channels sometimes.

Except they don't.
Sexual orientation isn't determined by what sex you're in a relationship with.
It's determined by the sex(es) you're attracted to.

Keep It Real wrote:
My orientation is simply what I am. I didn't choose this, I didn't think about it to consider what would be more "satisfying". It is as much a part of me as my considerable height, my hauntingly deep brown eyes, my distinguished greying but complete head of hair, and my chiseled, rugged good looks. I see no reason to suggest the same wouldn't apply for anyone of any other sexual orientation, or any other trait they didn't choose, but were born possessing.

The evidence suggests people are not born with their sexual orientation (20% concordance for monozygotic twins and homosexuality).

I already corrected you on this KIR. Mindlessly regurgitating it won't make it any less flawed.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#163  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 24, 2017 12:19 am

Keep It Real wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:
Rubbish.

No; I'm pretty convinced it's the truth.

Fortunately reality doesn't operate on KIR's personal (in)credulity.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#164  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 24, 2017 12:21 am

Keep It Real wrote:
Anyway; I've moved away from that now - the fact many people aren't homophobic (including myself) would seem to negate the evolutionary psychology explanation for it.

That's a complete non-sequitur. Especially since it's already been pointed out to you that humans have an instinctual fear of the unkown/different. This instinct can of course vary in strength.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#165  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 24, 2017 12:23 am

Keep It Real wrote:You don't think that people can change?

Not conciously no. I am also not convinced people unconciously change between mutually exclusive orientations, but I am open to the possibility should evidence be presented.

Keep It Real wrote: I swear down I'm not homophobic anymore.

Your comments as well as you refusal to acknowledge refutations of your arguments, demonstrates otherwise.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#166  Postby Keep It Real » Jul 24, 2017 5:50 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Not conciously no.

There's no such thing as consciousness. There's no such thing as choice. People do change; as they learn and are buffeted by their environmental experiences and genetics.
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#167  Postby Keep It Real » Jul 24, 2017 5:52 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Your comments as well as you refusal to acknowledge refutations of your arguments, demonstrates otherwise.

Reported.
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#168  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 24, 2017 8:25 am

Keep It Real wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Not conciously no.

There's no such thing as consciousness.

I was talking about z concious choice, as in you knowingly and intentionally changing your sexuality.

Keep It Real wrote: There's no such thing as choice.

You need to actually demonstrate that, not just assert.

Keep It Real wrote: People do change; as they learn and are buffeted by their environmental experiences and genetics.

Citation missing.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#169  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 24, 2017 8:26 am

Keep It Real wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Reported.

:roll:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#170  Postby Blip » Jul 25, 2017 5:24 am

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Beatsong, in your post here, you call another contributor a cunt.

This contravenes the Forum Users’ Agreement, specifically section 1.2e which concerns inflammatory posting.

Please don't make remarks of this sort.

Any comments on this modnote or moderation should not be made in the thread as they will be considered off topic; they may be removed without further warning.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience