Understanding Homophobia

Its causes and possible cures

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#181  Postby Spinozasgalt » Oct 31, 2017 3:26 am

The ego isn't the soul. The ego is the self-deceiver that deflects us from the full reality of the soul.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
User avatar
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator
 
Name: Jennifer
Posts: 18739
Age: 33
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Understanding Homophobia

#182  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 31, 2017 3:42 am

Down the rabbit hole we go...
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14253
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#183  Postby Spinozasgalt » Oct 31, 2017 3:47 am

I mean, consider...
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
User avatar
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator
 
Name: Jennifer
Posts: 18739
Age: 33
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#184  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 31, 2017 4:06 am

I try to avoid considering Prince whenever possible.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14253
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#185  Postby Spinozasgalt » Oct 31, 2017 4:27 am

Okay, wow, I have a lot of questions. Number one: how dare you?
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
User avatar
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator
 
Name: Jennifer
Posts: 18739
Age: 33
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#186  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 31, 2017 6:45 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:I'm a bit confused because here you say you don't advocate what I quoted you saying, and then you follow that statement with a declaration of pretty much exactly the same thing as what I quoted you saying. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "advocate"?

What I meant, although I admit it wasn't completely clear from the grammar I used, is that the homophobe fears he harbours invisible repressed homosexual desires; not that he actually does harbour such desires.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#187  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 31, 2017 6:48 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:The ego isn't the soul. The ego is the self-deceiver that deflects us from the full reality of the soul.

You what? So could you describe this soul of yours then please Spinny?
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 39

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Understanding Homophobia

#188  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 31, 2017 6:49 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:I mean, consider...

Nope - don't get it - complete non-sequitur IMO. Much better than Tom's version anyway though still.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#189  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 31, 2017 7:08 am

You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#190  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 31, 2017 1:30 pm

Spinozasgalt wrote:Okay, wow, I have a lot of questions. Number one: how dare you?

I am a Daring Do by nature!

Also I figure there's enough people that consider him, I don't have to.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14253
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#191  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 31, 2017 1:34 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:I'm a bit confused because here you say you don't advocate what I quoted you saying, and then you follow that statement with a declaration of pretty much exactly the same thing as what I quoted you saying. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "advocate"?

What I meant, although I admit it wasn't completely clear from the grammar I used, is that the homophobe fears he harbours invisible repressed homosexual desires; not that he actually does harbour such desires.

Oh, I see. Hm, well the idea of fearing you have a desire that you don't have seems strange to me, and I doubt that many people experience that fear based solely on the fact that they find gay sex repulsive. But maybe others have had this experience?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14253
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#192  Postby Thommo » Oct 31, 2017 1:39 pm

I have several older male relatives who are homophobic. I know exactly how they describe the source of their homophobia.

The bottom line is the thought of the act disgusts them.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27033

Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#193  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 31, 2017 2:00 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:Hm, well the idea of fearing you have a desire that you don't have seems strange to me, and I doubt that many people experience that fear based solely on the fact that they find gay sex repulsive. But maybe others have had this experience?

But because there is this popular idea in current culture that homosexual desires can be repressed and that one can be in denial to the point that one is completely unaware of their true, buried orientation. People don't know that they don't harbour hidden homosexual desires; and watching gay images/accepting homosexuality is perfectly fine or imagining homosexuality is frightening/repulsive/disgusting to them because they fear that being exposed to/tolerating/accepting such things will "bring out their true gay orientation". This isn't a problem if one truly doesn't mind if one is in fact gay. Many people aren't there yet however IMO. It's strange because the idea of repression is Freudian in origin and many of his theories have been ditched..I am not aware of any reliable evidence for the existence of repressed sexual orientation..I don't know if he ever said sexual orientation could be repressed but I believe that idea primarily survives in modern culture because that idea supports gays in that homophobia is largely buried/muted/neutered because to admit to it or act on it is to be judged to be a repressed gay - the last thing the homophobe wants. Could be wrong :dunno:
Last edited by Keep It Real on Oct 31, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#194  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 31, 2017 2:10 pm

Thommo wrote:I have several older male relatives who are homophobic. I know exactly how they describe the source of their homophobia.

The bottom line is the thought of the act disgusts them.

That's been my experience with older relatives as well, both male and female. Whether they're harboring latent homosexual urges, or whether they secretly fear they harbor those urges even though they've never experienced them, I can't say. But it seems unlikely.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14253
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#195  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 31, 2017 2:12 pm

I wonder if they find watching/imagining non-human animals having sex disgusting.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 39

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Understanding Homophobia

#196  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 31, 2017 2:20 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:Hm, well the idea of fearing you have a desire that you don't have seems strange to me, and I doubt that many people experience that fear based solely on the fact that they find gay sex repulsive. But maybe others have had this experience?

But because there is this popular idea in current culture that homosexual desires can be repressed and that one can be in denial to the point that one is completely unaware of their true, buried orientation. People don't know that they don't harbour hidden homosexual desires; and watching gay images/accepting homosexuality is perfectly fine or imagining homosexuality is frightening/repulsive/disgusting to them because they fear that being exposed to/tolerating/accepting such things will "bring out their true gay orientation". This isn't a problem if one truly doesn't mind if one is in fact gay. Many people aren't there yet however IMO. It's strange because the idea of repression is Freudian in origin and many of his theories have been ditched..I am not aware of any reliable evidence for the existence of repressed sexual orientation..I don't know if he ever said sexual orientation could be repressed but I believe that idea primarily survives in modern culture because that idea supports gays in that homophobia is largely buried/muted/neutered because to admit to it or act on it is to be judged to be a repressed gay - the last thing the homophobe wants. Could be wrong :dunno:


Wait; let me get this straight (no pun intended): There's a stigma attached to gay sex because there's a stigma attached to gay sex. Have I about summed it up for ya?

The repression is about the stigma, but that is not a deep psychiatric insight. You can dress it up all you like from there, including being repelled by thinking about it because of the stigma.

Or you can say how much or how little you are sexually stimulated by the prospect of sex with various genders. Consensually, of course.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
User avatar
Cito di Pense
 
Name: Fay Smask
Posts: 29356
Age: 23
Male

Country: The Heartland
Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#197  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 31, 2017 2:25 pm

Na - there's stigma attached to gay sex cos of the fucking bible - and we're still suffering fallout from it I'm afraid and you know of course that homosexuality was illegal in the west until very recently. Gay was an insult when I was growing up, and I hear it still from time to time. I've heard of modern primary school children chasing each other around the playground shouting "you're gay!" "No you're gay!"

I'm not sure repression of homosexual desires exists at all TBH Cito.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#198  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 31, 2017 2:36 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Na - there's stigma attached to gay sex cos of the fucking bible


Why don't you leave that to the people who read the bible? It's not illegal any more where you live, and although you have to listen to those sorts of people, you don't have to kowtow to them if gay sex is what you really crave.

That doesn't, however, seem to be the main point you're trying to make in this thread, and is quite distant from where you started out:

Keep It Real wrote:After posting in another thread it seems to me there is a large environmental component in sexual orientation formation. Would not a Darwinian organism wish to avoid exposure to possibly transmissible homosexuality memes? I'm not homophobic but I think it is understandable. I don't know why I'm not homophobic. It seems understandable to me.


Or maybe it isn't, and you're publicly trying to come to terms with something. You do know why you're not homophobic. At the very least, it's because you don't believe in religious strictures against homosexuality.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
User avatar
Cito di Pense
 
Name: Fay Smask
Posts: 29356
Age: 23
Male

Country: The Heartland
Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#199  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 31, 2017 2:41 pm

All my posts in this thread up until this one the other day were the results of my not thinking clearly because I was zombied out on antipsychotics. I retract them all and ask that everybody please ignore them. Thanks.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#200  Postby surreptitious57 » Oct 31, 2017 2:42 pm

The anal sex argument is somewhat fallacious because not all gay men actually have
it but I think homophobes would be no less homophobic even if no gay men had anal
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
 
Posts: 10193

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest