Understanding Homophobia

Its causes and possible cures

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#201  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 31, 2017 2:47 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Na - there's stigma attached to gay sex cos of the fucking bible -

I don't think so. There's a stigma attached to it because people are repulsed by it, which is why it ended up making it into the Bible. The Bible made it worse, for sure. But the authors didn't just randomly decide it was bad.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14223
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Understanding Homophobia

#202  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 31, 2017 2:49 pm

They weren't repulsed by it in ancient Greece....
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#203  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 31, 2017 2:51 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:Na - there's stigma attached to gay sex cos of the fucking bible -

I don't think so. There's a stigma attached to it because people are repulsed by it, which is why it ended up making it into the Bible. The Bible made it worse, for sure. But the authors didn't just randomly decide it was bad.

Do me a favour SAM you're telling me you can't think of anything else in the bible denoted bad seemingly at random?
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#204  Postby surreptitious57 » Oct 31, 2017 2:53 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
I am not sure repression of homosexual desires exists at all

I can categorically state that it absolutely does exist unfortunately
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
 
Posts: 10191

Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#205  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 31, 2017 2:54 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:
I am not sure repression of homosexual desires exists at all

I can categorically state that it absolutely does exist unfortunately

Erm...and on what are you basing that opinion please?
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#206  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 31, 2017 2:56 pm

Keep It Real wrote:They weren't repulsed by it in ancient Greece....

Some weren't.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14223
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#207  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 31, 2017 2:57 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:They weren't repulsed by it in ancient Greece....

Some weren't.

Evidence any were?
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 39

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Understanding Homophobia

#208  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 31, 2017 2:58 pm

Keep It Real wrote:All my posts in this thread up until this one the other day were the results of my not thinking clearly because I was zombied out on antipsychotics. I retract them all and ask that everybody please ignore them. Thanks.


So, uh, what is it you claim suddenly to be thinking clearly about? If you're thinking clearly, then SAM has provided everything you need to drop your theory about where the stigma originates. Saying there's a stigma attached to homosexuality because there's a stigma attached to homosexuality doesn't explain how people are repulsed by it.

But let's think about that. There are situations, like what goes on in slaughterhouses, that are horrific, for example due to a conviction about the sentience of livestock and so on, but that are not repulsive without an accompanying conditioning of some kind. Your parents can teach you to be disgusted by all sorts of things, or they can teach you how rationally to be careful without instilling unreasoning fear in you, or you can have enough innate intelligence not to panic about ordinary phenomena.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Oct 31, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
User avatar
Cito di Pense
 
Name: Fay Smask
Posts: 29349
Age: 23
Male

Country: The Heartland
Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#209  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 31, 2017 2:59 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:Na - there's stigma attached to gay sex cos of the fucking bible -

I don't think so. There's a stigma attached to it because people are repulsed by it, which is why it ended up making it into the Bible. The Bible made it worse, for sure. But the authors didn't just randomly decide it was bad.

Do me a favour SAM you're telling me you can't think of anything else in the bible denoted bad seemingly at random?

Not off the top of my head. There are some bizarre stories in the Bible that to me seem pretty clearly rules contrived based on a single person's experience. But maybe you've got an example or two of rules you think don't relate to anything that existed prior?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14223
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#210  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 31, 2017 2:59 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:They weren't repulsed by it in ancient Greece....

Some weren't.

Evidence any were?

Not everyone was gay?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14223
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#211  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 31, 2017 3:02 pm

Here you go, from Wikipedia:

One such scholar is Bruce Thornton, who argues that insults directed at pederastic males in the comedies of Aristophanes show the common people's dislike for the practice.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14223
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#212  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 31, 2017 3:03 pm

Cito di Pense wrote: If you're thinking clearly, then SAM has provided everything you need to drop your theory about where the stigma originates. Saying there's a stigma attached to homosexuality because there's a stigma attached to homosexuality doesn't explain why people are repulsed by it.

Read the thread from where I started the other day again. You obviously haven't digested the information yet. No disrespect - social science isn't your bag as you said earlier.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#213  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 31, 2017 3:05 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:Here you go, from Wikipedia:

One such scholar is Bruce Thornton, who argues that insults directed at pederastic males in the comedies of Aristophanes show the common people's dislike for the practice.

hmmm...no sorry that's not enough to negate my explanation IMO. I'm repulsed by paedophilia too....and dislike could mean anything....hardly as powerful as revulsion/disgust.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#214  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 31, 2017 3:06 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:They weren't repulsed by it in ancient Greece....

Some weren't.

Evidence any were?

Not everyone was gay?

Evidence any ancient Greeks found homosexuality repulsive.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#215  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 31, 2017 3:06 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote: If you're thinking clearly, then SAM has provided everything you need to drop your theory about where the stigma originates. Saying there's a stigma attached to homosexuality because there's a stigma attached to homosexuality doesn't explain why people are repulsed by it.

Read the thread from where I started the other day again. You obviously haven't digested the information yet. No disrespect - social science isn't your bag as you said earlier.


Yeah, you wrote this:

Keep It Real wrote:Na - there's stigma attached to gay sex cos of the fucking bible


That's packed with valuable insights from the social sciences.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
User avatar
Cito di Pense
 
Name: Fay Smask
Posts: 29349
Age: 23
Male

Country: The Heartland
Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Understanding Homophobia

#216  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 31, 2017 3:08 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:Na - there's stigma attached to gay sex cos of the fucking bible -

I don't think so. There's a stigma attached to it because people are repulsed by it, which is why it ended up making it into the Bible. The Bible made it worse, for sure. But the authors didn't just randomly decide it was bad.

Do me a favour SAM you're telling me you can't think of anything else in the bible denoted bad seemingly at random?

Not off the top of my head. There are some bizarre stories in the Bible that to me seem pretty clearly rules contrived based on a single person's experience. But maybe you've got an example or two of rules you think don't relate to anything that existed prior?

No mixed fabrics? No labour on sundays? I'm no expert but I'm sure somebody who's actually read the bible could provide some more examples.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#217  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 31, 2017 3:08 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Some weren't.

Evidence any were?

Not everyone was gay?

Evidence any ancient Greeks found homosexuality repulsive.

That you think I need to provide this "evidence" otherwise nobody in Greece was repulsed by homosexuality is absurd :lol: If you think that nobody in Greece was repulsed by homosexuality, do your own homework and prove it. I'm under the working assumption that folks in Greece were normal human beings like everyone else in history, they were just socially more progressive in some ways, and only to certain degrees.
Last edited by SafeAsMilk on Oct 31, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14223
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#218  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 31, 2017 3:09 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote: If you're thinking clearly, then SAM has provided everything you need to drop your theory about where the stigma originates. Saying there's a stigma attached to homosexuality because there's a stigma attached to homosexuality doesn't explain why people are repulsed by it.

Read the thread from where I started the other day again. You obviously haven't digested the information yet. No disrespect - social science isn't your bag as you said earlier.


Yeah, you wrote this:

Keep It Real wrote:Na - there's stigma attached to gay sex cos of the fucking bible


That's packed with valuable insights from the social sciences.

Fine, keep your head in your ass. Nuff disrespect.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#219  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 31, 2017 3:11 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:That you think I need to provide this "evidence" otherwise nobody in Greece was repulsed by homosexuality is absurd

Why?
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#220  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 31, 2017 3:12 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
I don't think so. There's a stigma attached to it because people are repulsed by it, which is why it ended up making it into the Bible. The Bible made it worse, for sure. But the authors didn't just randomly decide it was bad.

Do me a favour SAM you're telling me you can't think of anything else in the bible denoted bad seemingly at random?

Not off the top of my head. There are some bizarre stories in the Bible that to me seem pretty clearly rules contrived based on a single person's experience. But maybe you've got an example or two of rules you think don't relate to anything that existed prior?

No mixed fabrics? No labour on sundays? I'm no expert but I'm sure somebody who's actually read the bible could provide some more examples.

I'm sure they could also provide reasons why those rules existed. Have you ever bothered to research why they may have had those rules, instead of assuming they're just random out of nowhere?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14223
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest