Understanding Homophobia

Its causes and possible cures

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#241  Postby surreptitious57 » Oct 31, 2017 3:40 pm

Until society accepts gays unconditionally the same way it does straights then those that have gay tendencies or are gay may wish to suppress or deny their sexuality even if they have no problem with it themselves. If it was completely open about the entire spectrum of sexuality this would not be a problem. Unfortunately it is not completely open which is why some feel the need to suppress or deny their sexuality and I am surprised you do not know this
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#242  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 31, 2017 3:44 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:
Cos it wasn't their 1 wife's pussy.

And why would they object to it being their 1 husband's butthole?

Cos they were prudes?

Yes, but why does 1 husband's butthole not fit into the prudish landscape while 1 wife's pussy does?

I don't know; but I know the definition of a prude and they don't like sexual deviation from monogamous heterosexual marriage of any kind. Tell me SAM; don't you think it's a little weird that they would be so "repulsed" by homosexuality and yet not repulsed by stoning adulterers? You'll be asking me next why polygamy didn't fit into the prudish landscape...they were prudes innit.
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#243  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 31, 2017 3:45 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Can you explain why some people aren't repulsed by homosexuality and others are? I can.
Are you going to address this SAM?
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#244  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 31, 2017 3:46 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:

Cos they were prudes?

I must say, KIR, how impressed I am with the way you're piling it in with these valuable insights from the social sciences.

Like trawling through molasses, but it feels like I'm getting somewhere. Am I getting somewhere?

Yeah, maybe it's time to put the asses back in molasses. Kids are taught, emphatically sometimes, that it's a 'dirty place' if only to avoid kids getting digestive ailments from ingesting too much E. coli or whatever it is. Is it any wonder, after that, if the butthole doesn't immediately offer itself up (sorry for the imagery) as a proper sexual playground? So, yeah, 'repulsive', in a word. As authors purporting to be experts have written, the anus did not evolve as a locus of sexual activity.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Oct 31, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Germaine D. Scutcheon
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#245  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 31, 2017 3:49 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:Unfortunately it is not completely open which is why some feel the need to suppress or deny their sexuality and I am surprised you do not know this

There is no evidence nor logical rational behind this statement AFAIK. Also most homosexuals realise their orientation in their teens.....people just feel it innit...there's no denying it!....where is the evidence or rational that sexuality can be or is ever repressed from consciousness?
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#246  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 31, 2017 3:50 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:Can you explain why some people aren't repulsed by homosexuality and others are? I can.

Uh, because some folks are into it and some aren't? Some have gotten over their repulsion and some haven't?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#247  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 31, 2017 3:51 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:Am I getting somewhere?

No.....you're only hope is to get over yourself and accept that I am correct.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#248  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 31, 2017 3:52 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:

Some have gotten over their repulsion and some haven't?

And how did they do that SAM?
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#249  Postby Thommo » Oct 31, 2017 3:56 pm

Keep It Real wrote:

Your.
Thommo

Print view this post

#250  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 31, 2017 3:57 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:

Cos they were prudes?

Yes, but why does 1 husband's butthole not fit into the prudish landscape while 1 wife's pussy does?

I don't know;

So you don't know, but being repulsed by it is completely out of the question. Interesting.

but I know the definition of a prude and they don't like sexual deviation from monogamous heterosexual marriage of any kind.

Instead of stating the obvious over and over, you might want to consider why that is the case instead of just taking it as a given, some random belief that just popped up out of absolutely nowhere.

Tell me SAM; don't you think it's a little weird that they would be so "repulsed" by homosexuality and yet not repulsed by stoning adulterers?

Why would it be weird? Adulterers are bad by prude standards, right? So they're getting what they deserve. Also, don't know exactly what it's like over where you are, but over here there's not nearly as much concern with violence in the media as there is with sex.

You'll be asking me next why polygamy didn't fit into the prudish landscape...they were prudes innit.

Yes, but "they're a prude" is not an explanation of anything. Unless you know WHY something is prudish or it isn't, you're just saying some word over and over.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#251  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 31, 2017 3:58 pm

Thommo wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:

Your.

That sums it up nicely.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#252  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 31, 2017 3:59 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:

Some have gotten over their repulsion and some haven't?

And how did they do that SAM?

By realizing that nobody has to give any shit at all whether they like it or not? Or they have some experience of it so it doesn't seem so exotic/other?
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#253  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 31, 2017 4:02 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Thommo wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:

Your.

That sums it up nicely.

Correct I don't give much of a fuck about spelling. Never have; never will. As long as the semantics are preserved who really gives a fuck? Are you seriously suggesting you think I'm stupid? SERIOUSLY!?
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#254  Postby Thommo » Oct 31, 2017 4:03 pm

I think it's not at all uncommon for straight men to heartily dislike the thought of men having sex with men, not to want to see it, think about it or having anything to do with it. I wouldn't be surprised if plenty of gay men felt reciprocally.

I don't honestly see anything contentious in that at all, it's just not particularly polite to tell people that you deeply dislike the thought of their sexual preference, that you'd as much talk about it or witness it as watch your fat, wrinkled, sweaty grandparents get it on, or something. You get along with people better by ignoring it.
Thommo

Print view this post

#255  Postby Thommo » Oct 31, 2017 4:04 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Thommo wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:

Your.

That sums it up nicely.

Correct I don't give much of a fuck about spelling. Never have; never will. As long as the semantics are preserved who really gives a fuck? Are you seriously suggesting you think I'm stupid? SERIOUSLY!?

Actually, I was just answering a question you asked in another thread:-

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post2 ... l#p2593904

Take that feeling you've got now, imagine that the former girlfriend felt that way. Or, I dunno, maybe you're just a player hater and jealous of our superior spelling skills or something.

I guess either conclusion is fine.
Thommo

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#256  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 31, 2017 4:10 pm

Thommo wrote:I think it's not at all uncommon for straight men to heartily dislike the thought of men having sex with men, not to want to see it, think about it or having anything to do with it. I wouldn't be surprised if plenty of gay men felt reciprocally.

I don't honestly see anything contentious in that at all, it's just not particularly polite to tell people that you deeply dislike the thought of their sexual preference, that you'd as much talk about it or witness it as watch your fat, wrinkled, sweaty grandparents get it on, or something. You get along with people better by ignoring it.

Yeah, but the Greeks!
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#257  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 31, 2017 4:11 pm

Roman men were free to enjoy sex with other males without a perceived loss of masculinity or social status, as long as they took the dominant or penetrative role.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#258  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 31, 2017 4:12 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Thommo wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:

Your.

That sums it up nicely.

No, accidentally misspelling isn't indicative of one being stupid. But it is indicative of one being careless and not taking the time to really consider what they're typing.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#259  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 31, 2017 4:15 pm

Thommo wrote:
Thommo wrote:

Actually, I was just answering a question you asked in another thread:-

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post2 ... l#p2593904

Take that feeling you've got now, imagine that the former girlfriend felt that way. Or, I dunno, maybe you're just a player hater and jealous of our superior spelling skills or something.

I guess either conclusion is fine.

Nope - I wasn't hating, Thommo, I was just kicking off because I'm so frustrated by people in this threads wilful blinkered reluctance to see sense and constant accusations at me that I am being thick/blinkered/stupid.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#260  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 31, 2017 4:17 pm

it has been found that Ancient Egyptian society was familiar with homosexuality as a cultural norm and practice, manifested in various artifacts and historical evidence.

https://raseef22.com/en/culture/2017/04/12/many-faces-homosexuality-ancient-egypt/
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience