Understanding Homophobia

Its causes and possible cures

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Understanding Homophobia

#1  Postby Keep It Real » May 28, 2015 9:02 am

After posting in another thread it seems to me there is a large environmental component in sexual orientation formation. Would not a Darwinian organism wish to avoid exposure to possibly transmissible homosexuality memes? I'm not homophobic but I think it is understandable. I don't know why I'm not homophobic. It seems understandable to me.
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 3323
Age: 36
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Understanding Homophobia

#2  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 28, 2015 9:11 am

First of all, I wish people would drop the adjective Darwinian.
Yes Darwin gave us the origin of species and the foundation of ToE, but the science has moved on since then.
Secondly, I don't think homophobia is actually a thing in and of itself, but rather an expression of a general fear/dislike in humans for things being alien/different.
Last edited by Thomas Eshuis on May 28, 2015 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 27119
Age: 28
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#3  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 28, 2015 9:12 am

Also wtf are transmissible homosexuality memes?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 27119
Age: 28
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#4  Postby Keep It Real » May 28, 2015 9:18 am

guess.
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 3323
Age: 36
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#5  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 28, 2015 9:18 am

Keep It Real wrote:guess.

No, tell.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 27119
Age: 28
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#6  Postby Keep It Real » May 28, 2015 9:22 am

This thread's gonna drop like Hiroshima.
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 3323
Age: 36
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#7  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 28, 2015 9:24 am

Keep It Real wrote:This thread's gonna drop like Hiroshima.

If you're not being serious about this, then yes.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 27119
Age: 28
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Understanding Homophobia

#8  Postby Keep It Real » May 28, 2015 9:26 am

What do you think are the causes of non religious homophobia Mr Eshuis?
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 3323
Age: 36
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#9  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 28, 2015 9:29 am

Keep It Real wrote:What do you think are the causes of non religious homophobia Mr Eshuis?

I already mentioned that in my first post: a general fear instinct in humans of the alien, in this case manifesting as homophobia because the notion is so strange and incomprehensible to the homophobe that he instinctively dislikes it.
This is excluding of course self-hating homosexuals, which is mostly due to societal norms and pressure.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 27119
Age: 28
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#10  Postby Keep It Real » May 28, 2015 9:33 am

And do you think it possible that somebody might fear/despise the idea of becoming a homosexual because that would mean they could no longer experience procreative intercourse?
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 3323
Age: 36
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#11  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 28, 2015 9:35 am

Keep It Real wrote:And do you think it possible that somebody might fear/despise the idea of becoming a homosexual because that would mean they could no longer experience procreative intercourse?

I think that might happen to people growing up in a culture where procreative intercourse is given a semi-sacred status.
Gay people can still procreate by the way.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 27119
Age: 28
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#12  Postby Keep It Real » May 28, 2015 9:37 am

aaah but not experience procreative intercourse - the act of intercourse is excluded.
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 3323
Age: 36
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#13  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 28, 2015 9:39 am

Keep It Real wrote:aaah but not experience procreative intercourse - the act of intercourse is excluded.

Eh how exactly do you experience procreative sex?
What makes it susbtantially different as an experience?
AFAIK, people don't experience that they've just become impregnated/impregnated someone.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 27119
Age: 28
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#14  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » May 28, 2015 9:44 am

People have non-procreative intercourse every time they successfully use contraception.
User avatar
Rachel Bronwyn
 
Name: a certain type of girl
Posts: 11390
Age: 29
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#15  Postby Keep It Real » May 28, 2015 9:45 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:People have non-procreative intercourse every time they successfully use contraception.

It feels like procreative intercourse though.
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 3323
Age: 36
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Understanding Homophobia

#16  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » May 28, 2015 9:55 am

Sure doesn't when a condoms being used.
User avatar
Rachel Bronwyn
 
Name: a certain type of girl
Posts: 11390
Age: 29
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#17  Postby Keep It Real » May 28, 2015 9:56 am

Not fair! That's a distortion.
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 3323
Age: 36
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#18  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 28, 2015 10:32 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:People have non-procreative intercourse every time they successfully use contraception.

Not to mention there's more ways to have sex than jut penis in vagina.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 27119
Age: 28
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#19  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » May 28, 2015 11:02 am

And straight people have sex more ways than just penis in vagina. Straight sex is not just intercourse.
User avatar
Rachel Bronwyn
 
Name: a certain type of girl
Posts: 11390
Age: 29
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Understanding Homophobia

#20  Postby Shrunk » May 28, 2015 11:19 am

Keep It Real wrote:What do you think are the causes of non religious homophobia Mr Eshuis?


Gay people? Is that your point? :eh:
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
User avatar
Shrunk
 
Posts: 25965
Age: 52
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest