Violence and Sexuality

Is there a relationship?

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Violence and Sexuality

#1  Postby Keep It Real » May 19, 2017 10:53 am

So the alpha male annihilates his competitors with the threat/realisation of violence. Looking at chimps; once he is too old to fight well he is deposed from access to females. Need a heterosexual male embrace violence as a part of life? I've been listening to Wu-Tang Clan 36 chambers and it's so fucking violent....they revel in it...there is a strong current in music which embraces violence imo...and since music obviously stimulates the mind in a sexual way (particularly beat/rhythmic music) is the violence present in grime/hip hop associated with that sexual message? Am I being a bit of a Freud (It's all about sex) or is the violence really where it's at? Seeking alpha...beep beep beep motherfuckers ;)
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician.
"Who want's activism?" PMSL 'till I dehydrate and die in the desert - somebody.
https://soundcloud.com/sciteks
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Violence and Sexuality

#2  Postby surreptitious57 » May 19, 2017 11:10 am

Sex can be violent [ in both senses ] and violence can be sexy. Equally sex can be non
violent [ again in both senses ] and violence can be unsexy. So nothing is set in stone
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#3  Postby Keep It Real » May 19, 2017 11:14 am

Yeah cool, but is there a positive correlation in main? Fuck is a pretty violent word afterall imo....hardly ever hear make love.
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » May 19, 2017 11:20 am

Depends who/what you're looking for.
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: a certain type of girl
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Keep It Real » May 19, 2017 11:22 am

What turns you on can be different from what your intellect tells you you're looking for however.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#6  Postby tuco » May 19, 2017 11:24 am

Freud was an abstinent.

And no there is no relation (correlation with what?) between sex and violence, unless for deviations.
tuco

Print view this post

#7  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » May 19, 2017 11:27 am

Keep It Real wrote:What turns you on can be different from what your intellect tells you you're looking for however.

Wasn't talking about what my intellect tells me I'm looking for.

Different things turn different women on.
Rachel Bronwyn

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Keep It Real » May 19, 2017 11:33 am

I'm not so sure...
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » May 19, 2017 11:36 am

As long as you know better than actual, real women!
Rachel Bronwyn

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby zulumoose » May 19, 2017 11:37 am

By nature sex is an act that implies roles of dominance and submission, so the parallels are always going to be there, and how far a relationship goes along with those implied roles and whether those roles are carried through to physical acts or are merely attitudes is up to the individual's tastes and culture/background/religion.

A good illustration of the fact that the implied physical dominance and sexual violence of the male is not something always frowned upon by the female is the "bodice ripper" genre of women's romantic fiction. A good percentage of women must fantasize about men tearing their clothes off.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Keep It Real » May 19, 2017 11:43 am

I wasn't really talking about that type of violence, although it's interesting and relevant. I was talking more about the fact it seems to me that violence capable/competent/proficient males are more attractive, and that violence in music fits well because of this inherent violent undercurrent.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#12  Postby tuco » May 19, 2017 11:46 am

Tearing clothes off is not violence, its passion *coughs*. Anyway, that is the problem with the OP since as usual subject is not defined clearly and everyone can improvise on the topic. No women, no men, no other animals prefer being subjected to violence. Before sex, after and at any other time. Violence is in nature last resort since its risky.
Last edited by tuco on May 19, 2017 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
tuco

Print view this post

#13  Postby zulumoose » May 19, 2017 11:46 am

"bodice ripper" genre of women's romantic fiction

Actually if you google images of these books nowadays, it seems if he is ripping her bodice it is only to get even, because his shirt is long gone!
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#14  Postby tuco » May 19, 2017 11:49 am

Keep It Real wrote:I wasn't really talking about that type of violence, although it's interesting and relevant. I was talking more about the fact it seems to me that violence capable/competent/proficient males are more attractive, and that violence in music fits well because of this inherent violent undercurrent.

Back to alpha male.

Indeed, look at chimps. If an alpha chimp could talk to other males into letting him being an alpha, you can bet he would not use violence to impress the females ;)
tuco

Print view this post

#15  Postby Nicko » May 19, 2017 11:52 am

What about if I've been an extremely naughty boy and need a powerful, confident woman to give me a well deserved spanking?

How does that fit into your little theory, KIR?
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Keep It Real » May 19, 2017 11:59 am

Nicko wrote:What about if I've been an extremely naughty boy and need a powerful, confident woman to give me a well deserved spanking?

How does that fit into your little theory, KIR?

It doesn't get you laid, unless your discretion was sleeping around that is...you're just reinforcing my point really that women want violent/naughty men...and that you're happy to be that.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#17  Postby zulumoose » May 19, 2017 12:04 pm

I think both men and women to some extent want to have reckless sex with the naughty/bad ones but marry the good ones. I don't pretend to know how commonly this desire remains in the fantasy world though.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#18  Postby tuco » May 19, 2017 12:19 pm

Oh the naughty/bad ones? The out of ordinary ones with perceived or real power and privilege? A bit of a Freud :)
tuco

Print view this post

#19  Postby Greyman » May 19, 2017 12:34 pm

If you must look to chimpanzee behaviour for anecdotes on sexuality and violence, then at least compare and contrast Pan paniscus with Pan troglodytes. Bonobos engage in far more social sexual behaviour than the much more aggressive robust chimpanzee. So there is some indication of a negative correlation.
"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit." - T. Tick.
Greyman

Name: Graham

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Calilasseia » May 19, 2017 12:52 pm

I'm aware of sexual violence in flies.

The hilariously named Coelopa frigida is noted for the fact that the female flies violently resist mating overtures. Paradoxically, the more violently the female resists, the more driven to pursue mating the male becomes.

Journal citation:

Female Mate Choice For Large Males In Several Species Of Seaweed Fly (Diptera: Coelopidae) by Caroline S. Crean, Derek W. Dunn, Thomas H. Day & André S. Gilburn, Animal Behaviour, 59: 121-126 (2000)
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience