Why are there 20 times more male than female convicts?

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Why are there 20 times more male than female convicts?

#21  Postby NuclMan » Sep 16, 2014 12:45 pm

patriksveti wrote:I never said at any point that the differences are greater than similarities. We are all homo sapiens. But there are people who deny the existence of ANY differences. One of which is the difference in incarceration tendencies. Similar to pregnancy tendencies....

So, this statement and the assertions that follow, are meant to inform the reader that you think they are more alike than different?

There is no reason whatsoever to think that males and females are the same.

WTF is a tendency toward pregnancy? :what:
NuclMan

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby patriksveti » Sep 16, 2014 2:10 pm

WTF is a tendency toward pregnancy? :what:

It is called sarcasm...

But yeah, I obviously have to repeat myself - males and females are different, both are human beings.
patriksveti

Croatia (hr)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Fallible » Sep 16, 2014 2:42 pm

patriksveti wrote:I never said at any point that the differences are greater than similarities. We are all homo sapiens. But there are people who deny the existence of ANY differences. One of which is the difference in incarceration tendencies. Similar to pregnancy tendencies....

I've never met anyone who thinks there are no differences between the sexes. Who are these people?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#24  Postby orpheus » Sep 16, 2014 7:50 pm

Fallible wrote:

I've never met anyone who thinks there are no differences between the sexes. Who are these people?

:popcorn: (Uncle Orph'sTM popcorn: "Everybody likes Uncle Orph's. Everybody.")

:twisted:
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby laklak » Sep 16, 2014 8:10 pm

Fallible wrote:

Trannies?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#26  Postby lucek » Sep 16, 2014 8:40 pm

laklak wrote:
Fallible wrote:

Trannies?

First learn about people before you assume what they think. Next really.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby igorfrankensteen » Sep 26, 2014 11:20 pm

Fallible wrote:

Really. Age 41, and you've never met anyone who thinks there are no differences between the sexes? Interesting. I am a fifth of a century your senior, and the generation I was a part of, was PACKED with people at least claiming to believe that everything was NURTURE. No NATURE involved with sexual differences at all. Did they really all die out or fade away in that short a time?

It was all political of course.

Same thing today, lots of people claiming to believe that someone is or isn't inherently something, so that they can gain political or social advantage over them. That's what all the generality prejudices are about.

These days, rather than demanding that there's no difference between the sexes, in order to promote gender equality under the law and in social situations (which was why people in my era lied to themselves about this), the effort is being forced in the other direction, declaring that there ARE huge inherent differences, but it's so that INEQUALITIES under the law can be excused, and has nothing at all to do with discovering or recognizing factual information.

Kind of ironic, really. One set of people lying to reinforce what ought to be true, and another set of people promoting facts, in order to support oppression.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Fallible » Sep 27, 2014 7:55 am

igorfrankensteen wrote:
Fallible wrote:

Really. Age 41, and you've never met anyone who thinks there are no differences between the sexes?

Correct. That is in fact what I said.

Interesting. I am a fifth of a century your senior, and the generation I was a part of, was PACKED with people at least claiming to believe that everything was NURTURE. No NATURE involved with sexual differences at all. Did they really all die out or fade away in that short a time?

I have no idea, because I can't work out what you're saying. How does this refute what I said?

It was all political of course.

Same thing today, lots of people claiming to believe that someone is or isn't inherently something, so that they can gain political or social advantage over them. That's what all the generality prejudices are about.

These days, rather than demanding that there's no difference between the sexes, in order to promote gender equality under the law and in social situations (which was why people in my era lied to themselves about this), the effort is being forced in the other direction, declaring that there ARE huge inherent differences, but it's so that INEQUALITIES under the law can be excused, and has nothing at all to do with discovering or recognizing factual information.

Kind of ironic, really. One set of people lying to reinforce what ought to be true, and another set of people promoting facts, in order to support oppression.

I don't understand how people insisting someone is or isn't inherently something, or something to do with NATURE, shows there are or were people who see no difference between the sexes. I mean in the vast majority of cases, even a cursory glance will tell anyone with half a brain that there are quite a few differences.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 27, 2014 8:06 am

You're last couple of posts are absurdly obtuse Fallible; it's obvious the remark was that some people think there are no psychological differences between the sexes.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#30  Postby Fallible » Sep 27, 2014 8:20 am

They're not 'absurdly obtuse' at all. I think you're inserting a distinction that wasn't there in the beginning, then blaming me for not doing the same.

[...]But there are people who deny the existence of ANY differences. One of which is the difference in incarceration tendencies. Similar to pregnancy tendencies....

I didn't capitalise that, it's there in the original. And I suppose you could attempt to pass off ''pregnancy tendencies'' as a psychological difference, but I'm not sure that would go well.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 27, 2014 8:23 am

You really think somebody would claim some people think there are no physical differences between the sexes? Do me a favour.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#32  Postby Fallible » Sep 27, 2014 8:29 am

I really think that someone will still not believe that someone has in fact said something, even when their very words are reproduced to be read again. That was the whole fucking point of my original post. Patriksveti was vastly overstating his case (he did it twice, actually) and using sloppy reasoning, so I challenged him to come back and support his claims. He never did. You are basically letting him off the hook of needing to support his claims by just assuming he meant something else and acting like he said that instead and going after the person who tries to pin his sloppiness down. Well done.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#33  Postby kennyc » Sep 27, 2014 10:41 am

Clearly we need to arrest more females. This is outrageous!
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 11, 2020 8:04 pm

Thread necromancy, I know, however this came up in probation this evening - one of the facilitators said the difference between male/female crime rates is caused by things like the saying "man up." We were in a group of 11 with only one female. Although I suppose she might be partly right in a round about way I took issue with this and got the facilitator to admit there are lots of theories and no definitive single answer as of yet. That facilitator had failed in working out what 6-2 is (she deduced "5") at the start of the meeting so....possibly not the smartest penny dropping. I'm going to be nice to her next week no matter what she says.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#35  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 11, 2020 8:29 pm

Here's my current theory on the cause of the disparity:

(most) women are happy to do what authority figures (ie the law) tell them, no questions asked.

(all too many) men can't stand being told what to do by authority figures (ie the law) and will often do the polar opposite purely out of spite.

Edit: exchanged "(most)" for (all too many)
Last edited by Keep It Real on Feb 11, 2020 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 11, 2020 8:54 pm

That's an unsurprisingly goonish view of it. Might want to put a bit more "work" into this "theory" of yours.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Fallible » Feb 11, 2020 9:28 pm

Well what do you know. Another pile of absolute shit coiled down presumably to prompt replies. There, you’ve got one.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 11, 2020 9:31 pm

You know what they say about being presumptive Fallible : D
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#39  Postby Fallible » Feb 11, 2020 9:38 pm

I see you’ve said some words.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 11, 2020 9:47 pm

Did you notice how the last few posts in this thread from 2014 were of you and I arguing? There was a (brief) time where we got along for a few months IIRC around a year ago...before that "stupid c***" meltdown. Unfortunately I doubt we'll ever be there again, which is sad, I guess.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience