Why Can't I stop?

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Why Can't I stop?

#1  Postby Clive Durdle » Aug 02, 2014 1:07 pm

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... 9zbQ1bQAbI

Are we thinking about OCD backwards?

05 August 2014 by Claire Gillan

Everyone knows that thoughts cause actions which cause habits. What if this is the wrong way round?

HAVE you ever wondered why you ended up at the office on a Sunday morning, when you were supposed to be heading to the supermarket? Why you find it so difficult to drive on the other side of the road when you are abroad? Or why you called your new partner by your old partner's name? These slips let us know that habits have been taking care of a lot of our actions without us knowing.

Such trivial errors seem a small price to pay for the benefit habits bring – freeing up brainpower to devote to non-repetitive tasks. But what if they weren't the only price? What if, without our knowledge, habits were shaping our beliefs and attitudes? My work is revealing the surprising power of habits.

I think this is onto something critically important.

Religions are often described as having two facets, the rituals and the beliefs - orthodoxy and orthopraxis.

What if the worries the thoughts the explanations are "just so" stories to explain obvious dissonances?

Maybe the power of religions and I think similar things like OCD is to do with fooling the mind into thinking thought is primary?

Is Descartes turning in his grave?
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Why Can't I stop?

#2  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 02, 2014 4:47 pm

One problem here - OCD is a medical condition, habits are not.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Clive Durdle » Aug 02, 2014 7:27 pm

Why is that a problem?
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby laklak » Aug 02, 2014 10:25 pm

Biggest difference is there are good habits.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Goldenmane » Aug 03, 2014 12:14 am

Clive Durdle wrote:http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22329800.200-are-we-thinking-about-ocd-backwards.html#.U9zbQ1bQAbI

Everyone knows that thoughts cause actions which cause habits. What if this is the wrong way round?

HAVE you ever wondered why you ended up at the office on a Sunday morning, when you were supposed to be heading to the supermarket? Why you find it so difficult to drive on the other side of the road when you are abroad? Or why you called your new partner by your old partner's name? These slips let us know that habits have been taking care of a lot of our actions without us knowing.

Such trivial errors seem a small price to pay for the benefit habits bring – freeing up brainpower to devote to non-repetitive tasks. But what if they weren't the only price? What if, without our knowledge, habits were shaping our beliefs and attitudes? My work is revealing the surprising power of habits.

Religions are often described as having two facets, the rituals and the beliefs - orthodoxy and orthopraxis.

What if the worries the thoughts the explanations are "just so" stories to explain obvious dissonances?

Maybe the power of religions and I think similar things like OCD is to do with fooling the mind into thinking thought is primary?

I haven't read the article quoted yet, and may be behind on the work it refers to, but I'll chime in with the caveat that I might be talking bollocks.

The power of habits, as referenced above, fits with my own understanding of how the 'conscious mind' may well be merely illusory, an ongoing 'just-so' story the brain generates in response to being unable to physically model itself in coherence with its model of its experience.

Descarte isn't turning in his grave, because he's fucking dead, and likely food for worms, and his ideas were fun nonsense.
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

http://goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com/
Goldenmane

Print view this post

#6  Postby jamest » Aug 03, 2014 1:00 am

Clive Durdle wrote:http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22329800.200-are-we-thinking-about-ocd-backwards.html#.U9zbQ1bQAbI

Arse gravy... as hack would say. Where's the critical analysis of naive realism and/or materialism, as a habitual pattern of thought? That's right, it's fucking non-existent. /thread
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#7  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 03, 2014 3:22 pm

Clive Durdle wrote:Why is that a problem?

As laklak said, there are good habits, which are generally a benefit, not a problem. Also, it means that the origin of OCD is not the same as that of habits. Learned habits must have appeared as command instincts disappeared (probably in the mammal-like reptiles, but not sure), because without either, you are vulnerable either to predators that don't behave as your instincts would need if you are to evade them, or to having to think too long and hard to figure out how to evade them. Both are serious survival issues, but they are different.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Steve » Aug 03, 2014 3:32 pm

Reference samskara. This idea is ancient.
As your desire is, so is your will.
As your will is, so is your deed.
As your deed is, so is your destiny
Blue Mountain Center of Meditation
Steve
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#9  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 03, 2014 3:51 pm

Steve wrote:Reference samskara. This idea is ancient.

What idea? Obiously not the idea that having habits is the same as having OCD.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Steve » Aug 03, 2014 8:39 pm

DavidMcC wrote:

No, the idea that the habits make the person, not the other way around. That is what samskara's are - habits. There are good ones and bad ones, and if you are someone super special you get to dispense with them completely, but that is not much help to those not super special.
As your desire is, so is your will.
As your will is, so is your deed.
As your deed is, so is your destiny
Blue Mountain Center of Meditation
Steve
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#11  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 05, 2014 6:22 pm

Steve wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

No, the idea that the habits make the person, not the other way around. That is what samskara's are - habits. There are good ones and bad ones, and if you are someone super special you get to dispense with them completely, but that is not much help to those not super special.

No-one is "super special", Steve. Our habits are powerful, as is consistent with their evolution.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience