Dalai Lama doesn't know how to increase compassion

and advocates violent feelings

Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Paganism, Taoism etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Dalai Lama doesn't know how to increase compassion

#1  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 08, 2014 4:25 pm

Presented with a golden opportunity to explain some of the many ways taught by Buddha to improve our compassion the Dalai Lama instead says that he doesn't really know how to. He also says he is liable to lose his temper and hit people.

I'm not a Buddhist but I have seen some benefit in it's teachings, and have viewed it as being helpful and less harmful than most religions. I like the way it's mostly atheistic in many ways, for example, and teaches compassion (or at least, it did!). Having this incompetent fuckwit as leader really lower's Buddhism's admittedly limited appeal even further. Time for a new pope Dailai Lama methinks.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Dalai Lama doesn't know how to increase compassion

#2  Postby Alan B » Jun 08, 2014 4:33 pm

I suppose that's what you get if you use magick mumbo-jumbo to choose a new leader, after all, Buddha himself wasn't chosen by anybody...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jun 08, 2014 4:42 pm

The only thing I can say that's positive about Buddhism is that it contains fewer dangerous and backwards ideas as some other religions out there. But in practice, it's still as divisive as any other religion and based entirely on conning (grieving and desperate) people out of their money, because you have no legitimate use to society. For all of its claims of lack of materialism, I've never seen a Buddhist temple without a collection box, and I've never seen monks turn up to someone's funeral for free. And you only have to ask a Sri Lankan Hindu or a Burmese Muslim just how likely Buddhists are to abhor violence. Like every other religion, it becomes another excuse for simple in-group/out-group thinking.

On the other hand, I think it's refreshing to see a religious leader who admits that his status gives him no special knowledge or input into questions of morality.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#4  Postby epepke » Jun 08, 2014 4:51 pm

It's kind of refreshing that he admits to it, but someone please get this guy a pinball machine so that he doesn't hit people. Surprisingly, Stern makes some rather good ones these days.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby minininja » Jun 08, 2014 4:53 pm

The annotations in that video seem to completely miss the point. The question was about how to increase compassion in someone else who is not very inclined to it. As far as I'm aware Buddhism doesn't make any claims on how to change other peoples' behaviour. I think it's perfectly reasonable that he admits he's not an expert in that area, - he's not a psychiatrist. But that whatever method you may attempt to make, it's likely to require patience.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 08, 2014 5:00 pm

minininja wrote:The annotations in that video seem to completely miss the point. The question was about how to increase compassion in someone else who is not very inclined to it. As far as I'm aware Buddhism doesn't make any claims on how to change other peoples' behaviour. I think it's perfectly reasonable that he admits he's not an expert in that area, - he's not a psychiatrist. But that whatever method you may attempt to make, it's likely to require patience.

Well, shouldn't his obvious answer be "introduce them to Buddhism - specifically this teaching etc"?
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Print view this post

#7  Postby Steve » Jun 08, 2014 5:03 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
minininja wrote:The annotations in that video seem to completely miss the point. The question was about how to increase compassion in someone else who is not very inclined to it. As far as I'm aware Buddhism doesn't make any claims on how to change other peoples' behaviour. I think it's perfectly reasonable that he admits he's not an expert in that area, - he's not a psychiatrist. But that whatever method you may attempt to make, it's likely to require patience.

Well, shouldn't his obvious answer be "introduce them to Buddhism - specifically this teaching etc"?

Don't be stupid. You have to discover your own truth. Please, a little respect?
As your desire is, so is your will.
As your will is, so is your deed.
As your deed is, so is your destiny
Blue Mountain Center of Meditation
Steve
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 08, 2014 5:05 pm

:lol:
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Print view this post

#9  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 08, 2014 6:39 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:The only thing I can say that's positive about Buddhism is that it contains fewer dangerous and backwards ideas as some other religions out there. But in practice, it's still as divisive as any other religion and based entirely on conning (grieving and desperate) people out of their money, because you have no legitimate use to society. For all of its claims of lack of materialism, I've never seen a Buddhist temple without a collection box, and I've never seen monks turn up to someone's funeral for free. And you only have to ask a Sri Lankan Hindu or a Burmese Muslim just how likely Buddhists are to abhor violence. Like every other religion, it becomes another excuse for simple in-group/out-group thinking.

On the other hand, I think it's refreshing to see a religious leader who admits that his status gives him no special knowledge or input into questions of morality.

I actually bought a book on Buddhism; I guess I was looking for a path of sorts. Unfortunately it turns out they pretty much teach belief in hell just like Chrislam. I stopped reading at that point TBH. I guess I have a slight soft spot for Buddhism because I was introduced to it as a child by my parents as being wholly peaceful. I also quite like meditation...but now think Buddhism is crazy...not quite evil yet though still. Maybe I've got a hangover indoctrination. One thing taught is to cherry pick - discard that which doesn't seem helpful. I guess that fits with most people's religious lives but still it just dilutes and invalidates the religion as a whole. I reckon I've got very little time for Buddhism but it's still sad when it's leader comes across as such a cretin.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Print view this post

#10  Postby Steve » Jun 08, 2014 7:20 pm

In response to the question posed to the Dalai Lama I would just say practice compassion. Compassion is hard, and like anything hard you only get good at it with constant practice. And the practice also teaches by demonstration. If someone is pleasant it evokes a pleasant response in the same way unpleasantness evokes an unpleasant response. So if you want a compassionate world respond to unpleasantness with compassion and pleasantries and you engage in the struggle. And if you are good at it you should seek out unpleasant people just for your own benefit. If they don't respond you get the opportunity to practice patience, another difficult thing that needs constant training.
Steve
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#11  Postby cavarka9 » Jun 09, 2014 1:27 am

Very informative, he learns!
Here, the scientists say that children are more malleable. Adults not so.

1hr:44 min
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
cavarka9

Name: prajna

India (in)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Steve » Jun 09, 2014 2:06 am

cavarka9 wrote:
Here, the scientists say that children are more malleable. Adults not so.

As you age you develop habits. Since they are not optional make the effort to make them good ones.
Steve
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Return to Other Religions & Belief Systems