Dead Sea Scrolls

Scrolls Dead Sea

Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Paganism, Taoism etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Dead Sea Scrolls

#21  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 27, 2015 11:05 am

duvduv wrote:I can only imagine, but I'm not a moderator to do anything about it.

Who is breaking the FUA?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby duvduv » Jul 27, 2015 7:04 pm

Does anybody want to get back onto the purpose of this thread??
duvduv

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 27, 2015 7:12 pm

duvduv wrote:Does anybody want to get back onto the purpose of this thread??

Which is what, you regaling us with your opinions about a topic, while at the same time dismissing those of others?

You have your own blog? There is where you get to say if other people get an opinion.

Not here.

Sent from my piece of crap iPad 1 using Tapatalk HD
"In the face of overwhelming odds, I'm left with only one option: I'm gonna have to science the shit out of this."

Astronaut Mark Watney, logging about his status of being stranded on Mars, in Andy Weir's book, The Martian
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby duvduv » Jul 27, 2015 8:13 pm

I don't understand. I started a thread to discuss the Scrolls and views about them. Where did I go wrong?!
duvduv

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 27, 2015 8:30 pm

You got some views. Maybe not to your liking. That happens from time to time on an open forum.
"In the face of overwhelming odds, I'm left with only one option: I'm gonna have to science the shit out of this."

Astronaut Mark Watney, logging about his status of being stranded on Mars, in Andy Weir's book, The Martian
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 28, 2015 5:24 am

When you try to reintroduce a subject that has been flogged to death dont expect to get the response you expected.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#27  Postby duvduv » Aug 05, 2015 2:09 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:When you try to reintroduce a subject that has been flogged to death dont expect to get the response you expected.

Who decides which subjects should be eliminated and which should be continued? Have you looked at the list of forum topics lately and seen how many appear ridiculous to many people, and you attack a thread on the Dead Sea Scrolls that are STILL under investigation, almost 70 years after their first discovery?
duvduv

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 05, 2015 2:25 am

It looks like it's your fellow forum members who are deciding whether and how to continue beating that dead horse.

Does it bother you that you're not getting the response you sought? It shouldn't. You would do well to consider where you are. I speak only for myself, but it seems a commonly held opinion here that Bronze Age scribblings aren't of much use.

I'm sure there are other parts of the internet where you will find the interest you seek.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#29  Postby duvduv » Aug 05, 2015 3:02 am

Yea, you're right.... Let's get back to talking about favorite TV programs and desserts.....
duvduv

United States (us)
Print view this post

#30  Postby duvduv » Oct 04, 2015 6:55 pm

After reviewing the topography of the Qumran caves and their inaccessibility, it seems to be pretty clear that whoever were storing the scrolls and artifacts in them was especially interested in making access very difficult for apparently precious texts. However, why would it seem they would hide scrolls that had differing religious teachings?

And it is interesting to note that the emergence of the Teacher of Righteousness (correctly should be Teacher of Justice - a modern Jewish term for rabbinical judges Moreh Tzedek) was 329 years after the destruction of the Temple. If the author(s) of the Damascus Document and Habakuk Pesher counted according to traditional Jewish chronology, the destruction of the Temple was in 425 BCE and not 587. Thus, the events of the Teacher would be in the time of Herod and his priest son-in-law Simon.Makes for a whole different scenario. Personally, I have never been sure the DD was actually a sectarian non-pharisee document at all.
duvduv

United States (us)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Alan B » Oct 04, 2015 7:52 pm

duvduv wrote:However, why would it seem they would hide scrolls that had differing religious teachings?

Maybe whoever did it was a historian and wanted to hedge his bets.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby duvduv » Oct 16, 2015 7:27 pm

I thought this was an interesting thread, especially to examine different angles about it. I guess folks don't feel that way.......
duvduv

United States (us)
Print view this post

#33  Postby duvduv » Oct 22, 2015 10:47 pm

I still would like to discuss these points, which are not usually discussed anywhere that I have found so far after about 20 years of being interested in such things.

After reviewing the topography of the Qumran caves and their inaccessibility, it seems to be pretty clear that whoever were storing the scrolls and artifacts in them was especially interested in making access very difficult for apparently precious texts. However, why would it seem they would hide scrolls that had differing religious teachings?

And it is interesting to note that the emergence of the Teacher of Righteousness (correctly should be Teacher of Justice - a modern Jewish term for rabbinical judges Moreh Tzedek) was 329 years after the destruction of the Temple. If the author(s) of the Damascus Document and Habakuk Pesher counted according to traditional Jewish chronology, the destruction of the Temple was in 425 BCE and not 587. Thus, the events of the Teacher would be in the time of Herod and his priest son-in-law Simon. Makes for a whole different scenario. Personally, I have never been sure the DD was actually a sectarian non-pharisee document at all.
duvduv

United States (us)
Print view this post

#34  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 22, 2015 11:06 pm

You do realize you're wanting to discuss nothing other than old copies of myths? It's like arguing over Grimm's or Disney's versions of a fairy tale.

What's the point?

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#35  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 22, 2015 11:11 pm

Although, I can say unequivocally that Collodi's original version of Pinnochio is far more interesting than what Disney did with it. But Collodi's original isn't always so kid friendly.

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby duvduv » Oct 23, 2015 12:43 am

The_Metatron, I am having great difficulty understanding why a moderator of a forum on religion would go so far to discourage or downplay any interest in analyzing the historical context and origin of the DSS or anything else? It really doesn't fit the role of a moderator at all. The issues I raised are not addressed by professional scholars. Why does that in particular bother you more than, let's say, the myriad of idiotic threads all over the RationalSkepticism board?!! :what:
duvduv

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Other Religions & Belief Systems