Does E.T. Intelligence Exist? A Buddhist Perspective

Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Paganism, Taoism etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Does E.T. Intelligence Exist? A Buddhist Perspective

#1  Postby darwin2 » Oct 14, 2011 1:56 pm

Does E.T. Intelligence exist? Buddhists say yes. Buddhist scriptures contain many references to other intelligent beings existing in our universe. Many scientists believe that intelligent life is abundant throughout our universe. The size of our universe is mind boggling. Our universe contains trillions and trillions of stars, solar systems and planets. I can’t believe intelligent life exists only on our planet. Such a reality would be a terrible waste of space.

Do Buddhists believe other universes and dimensions exist that also contain intelligent beings? Some cosmological theories like the Multiverse and Parallel Universes suggest other universes exist and that there may be an infinite number of universes with an infinite number of intelligent beings. Buddhist scriptures support this possibility.

Are E.T. intelligent beings more morally and technologically evolved than us humans or less evolved than us? Buddhists believe many would be light years ahead of us morally and technologically while some are less evolved than us. Regarding technological development, we humans have populated this planet for a very short time and it is only in the last Century that we began to develop radio astronomy and radio astronomy is one of the characteristics of a maturing technological civilization. Some of these E.T. intelligent beings are probably thousands, millions and billions of years more technologically advanced than humans and if these civilizations developed radio astronomy thousands, millions and billions of years ago, it is mind boggling to think of their current technological status.

What physical form will E.T. intelligence have? Buddhism takes no position on this issue. I believe its physical form will vary and will be an outcome of the natural selection and artificial selection processes that occur on its planet.

Have E.T. intelligent beings contacted us in the past and are they contacting us now? Buddhists are open to this possibility. I believe there are some indications that E.T. intelligent beings may have contacted us in the past and presently some NASA photos and videos open up the possibility that they may be still observing us now. If in fact E.T. intelligent beings have frequently visited our planet in the past and if in fact they presently are visiting our planet and observing us, why then have they not directly contacted us? I think the answer may be this. Our planet is occupied by too many intelligent beings that are still morally, emotionally and scientifically immature and not ready for an encounter with technologically advanced E.T. intelligent beings. Our civilization has been plagued with wars, exploiting of the weak by the powerful, torture, divisiveness. etc for over 5,000 years of recorded history. I believe they have avoided direct contact with us because of our primitive and violent nature. I don’t blame them. “Earth is the insane asylum of the universe” and what intelligent being enjoys visiting insane asylums.

As a Buddhist I frequently ask myself how many intelligent beings exist in our universe and in the COSMOS that includes all universes and dimensions that currently exist. Buddhism states that E.T. intelligent beings exist but the number is so high that it is incalculable. To address this question, I have calculated the following estimate:

CALCULATION FOR THE ESTIMATED NUMBER

OF INTELLIGENT BEINGS IN OUR UNIVERSE AND THE COSMOS

In calculating this very conservative estimate I have used the following formula:

(a + b)c × d= e

“a” stands for the number of intelligent beings presently living on our planet. This is a known variable and presently there are approximately 6.5 billion intelligent beings on our planet.

“b” stands for the number of intelligent beings living in our solar system excluding Earth. Evidence seems to indicate there are no other intelligent beings other than those on Earth in our solar system. Thus b will equal 0.

“c” stands for the number of solar systems in our Milky Way Galaxy that presently have intelligent beings. Our Milky Way Galaxy presently has approximately 400 billion stars. If one out of 400 million stars in our Galaxy presently has a solar system with intelligent beings than 1000 stars in our Galaxy have intelligent beings in their solar systems. I think 1000 stars is a reasonable estimate although I believe it is too low a figure. Some of these intelligent beings will be light years ahead of us in technology and moral development and some will not be as developed as us. If our solar system that presently has 6.5 billion intelligent beings is a typical and reasonable average for other solar systems then the number of intelligent beings in the Milky Way would be 1000 times 6.5 billion or 6.5 trillion. Therefore c would equal 1000 solar systems in our Milky Way Galaxy that have intelligent life.

“d.” stands for the number of galaxies in our universe. Some scientists estimate the number of galaxies in our universe to be in the hundreds of billions. I will use 150 billion galaxies because I have seen some scientists use this estimate and that number seems like a reasonable scientific estimate. Therefore d will equal 150 billion galaxies
“e” stands for the approximate number of intelligent beings in our universe. If our Milky Way is an average typical galaxy then we can multiply its estimated population of 6.5 trillion intelligent beings by 150 billion galaxies and that will give us the approximate number of intelligent beings in our universe.

Now putting in the numbers in our equation we get

(a + b)c × d= e

(6,500,000,000 + 0)1000 × 150, 000,000,000=975,000,000, 000,000,000,000

I estimate that there are approximately 975,000 trillion intelligent beings in our universe. However I believe this figure is too low and that the actual figure is much higher than this. As a Buddhist I believe we are interconnected to each and every one of these intelligent beings and they are all our brothers and sisters.

How many intelligent beings exist in the COSMOS? Since Buddhist believe there are an infinite number of universes in the COSMOS, there are an infinite number of intelligent beings existing there and we are interconnected to all of them and they are all our brothers and sisters.

At this moment in time the above estimate is not objectively provable. It is only intended to give an appreciation of how abundant intelligent life is in our universe. I believe in the scientific method. Science is self-correcting and ultimately will find the correct answer.

I believe the odds are high that E.T. intelligence exists in our universe. However as of the present there is no concrete evidence that meets acceptable scientific standards to prove this belief. This may change soon as SETI the worldwide organization for the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence has a well funded and a very sophisticated high tech program that uses radio astronomy to search for E.T. intelligence. Each year the equipment gets more sophisticated and powerful. Hopefully in the near future, we will make our first contact with E.T. intelligent beings. Because of the vast distances that exist in space this contact will probably be a one way communication. Then shortly after our first contact is made, it is possible that we may also start making contact with many more E.T. intelligent beings. I hope none have learned anything about the history of the human species occupying our planet Earth, “the insane asylum of the universe.” Hopefully there are altruistic civilizations in our universe who want to share their advanced technology with other civilizations and have made their history and knowledge available to all civilizations that have reached at least the stages of radio astronomy. Hopefully, “despite the insanity of its civilization”, planet Earth will make the contact list. Although deciphering their messages might be difficult at first, I believe we will find a Rosetta Stone in their transmissions that will help translate their messages and enable us to comprehend what they are telling us. When we decipher their messages, I truly believe it will reveal that the above estimate of 975,000 trillion Intelligent beings was an overly conservative estimate and that the real figure is many times that amount. This possibility is compatible with Buddhism.
darwin2

Name: George Killoran

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Does E.T. Intelligence Exist? A Buddhist Perspective

#2  Postby rJD » Oct 14, 2011 2:05 pm

Welcome back George. :tinfoil: :party:
I was "jd" in RDF, and am still in Rationalia.com

"Wooberish" - a neologism for woo expressed in gibberish, spread the "meme".

rJD
RS Donator

Name: John
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3  Postby darwin2 » Oct 14, 2011 6:18 pm

rJD wrote:Welcome back George. :tinfoil: :party:

Thank you. This is a great website.
darwin2

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Zadocfish2 » Oct 25, 2011 8:10 pm

I think I'm going to like you.
User formerly known as Falconjudge.

I am a Christian.
Zadocfish2

Name: Justin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby THWOTH » Dec 16, 2011 11:23 pm

darwin2 wrote:Does E.T. Intelligence exist? Buddhists say yes. Buddhist scriptures contain many references to other intelligent beings existing in our universe. Many scientists believe that intelligent life is abundant throughout our universe. The size of our universe is mind boggling. Our universe contains trillions and trillions of stars, solar systems and planets. I can’t believe intelligent life exists only on our planet. Such a reality would be a terrible waste of space.

Do Buddhists believe other universes and dimensions exist that also contain intelligent beings? Some cosmological theories like the Multiverse and Parallel Universes suggest other universes exist and that there may be an infinite number of universes with an infinite number of intelligent beings. Buddhist scriptures support this possibility.

Are E.T. intelligent beings more morally and technologically evolved than us humans or less evolved than us? Buddhists believe many would be light years ahead of us morally and technologically while some are less evolved than us. Regarding technological development, we humans have populated this planet for a very short time and it is only in the last Century that we began to develop radio astronomy and radio astronomy is one of the characteristics of a maturing technological civilization. Some of these E.T. intelligent beings are probably thousands, millions and billions of years more technologically advanced than humans and if these civilizations developed radio astronomy thousands, millions and billions of years ago, it is mind boggling to think of their current technological status.

What physical form will E.T. intelligence have? Buddhism takes no position on this issue. I believe its physical form will vary and will be an outcome of the natural selection and artificial selection processes that occur on its planet.

Have E.T. intelligent beings contacted us in the past and are they contacting us now? Buddhists are open to this possibility. I believe there are some indications that E.T. intelligent beings may have contacted us in the past and presently some NASA photos and videos open up the possibility that they may be still observing us now. If in fact E.T. intelligent beings have frequently visited our planet in the past and if in fact they presently are visiting our planet and observing us, why then have they not directly contacted us? I think the answer may be this. Our planet is occupied by too many intelligent beings that are still morally, emotionally and scientifically immature and not ready for an encounter with technologically advanced E.T. intelligent beings. Our civilization has been plagued with wars, exploiting of the weak by the powerful, torture, divisiveness. etc for over 5,000 years of recorded history. I believe they have avoided direct contact with us because of our primitive and violent nature. I don’t blame them. “Earth is the insane asylum of the universe” and what intelligent being enjoys visiting insane asylums.

As a Buddhist I frequently ask myself how many intelligent beings exist in our universe and in the COSMOS that includes all universes and dimensions that currently exist. Buddhism states that E.T. intelligent beings exist but the number is so high that it is incalculable. To address this question, I have calculated the following estimate:

In calculating this very conservative estimate I have used the following formula:

(a + b)c × d= e

“a” stands for the number of intelligent beings presently living on our planet. This is a known variable and presently there are approximately 6.5 billion intelligent beings on our planet.

“b” stands for the number of intelligent beings living in our solar system excluding Earth. Evidence seems to indicate there are no other intelligent beings other than those on Earth in our solar system. Thus b will equal 0.

“c” stands for the number of solar systems in our Milky Way Galaxy that presently have intelligent beings. Our Milky Way Galaxy presently has approximately 400 billion stars. If one out of 400 million stars in our Galaxy presently has a solar system with intelligent beings than 1000 stars in our Galaxy have intelligent beings in their solar systems. I think 1000 stars is a reasonable estimate although I believe it is too low a figure. Some of these intelligent beings will be light years ahead of us in technology and moral development and some will not be as developed as us. If our solar system that presently has 6.5 billion intelligent beings is a typical and reasonable average for other solar systems then the number of intelligent beings in the Milky Way would be 1000 times 6.5 billion or 6.5 trillion. Therefore c would equal 1000 solar systems in our Milky Way Galaxy that have intelligent life.

“d.” stands for the number of galaxies in our universe. Some scientists estimate the number of galaxies in our universe to be in the hundreds of billions. I will use 150 billion galaxies because I have seen some scientists use this estimate and that number seems like a reasonable scientific estimate. Therefore d will equal 150 billion galaxies
“e” stands for the approximate number of intelligent beings in our universe. If our Milky Way is an average typical galaxy then we can multiply its estimated population of 6.5 trillion intelligent beings by 150 billion galaxies and that will give us the approximate number of intelligent beings in our universe.

(a + b)c × d= e

I estimate that there are approximately 975,000 trillion intelligent beings in our universe. However I believe this figure is too low and that the actual figure is much higher than this. As a Buddhist I believe we are interconnected to each and every one of these intelligent beings and they are all our brothers and sisters.

How many intelligent beings exist in the COSMOS? Since Buddhist believe there are an infinite number of universes in the COSMOS, there are an infinite number of intelligent beings existing there and we are interconnected to all of them and they are all our brothers and sisters.

At this moment in time the above estimate is not objectively provable. It is only intended to give an appreciation of how abundant intelligent life is in our universe. I believe in the scientific method. Science is self-correcting and ultimately will find the correct answer.

I believe the odds are high that E.T. intelligence exists in our universe. However as of the present there is no concrete evidence that meets acceptable scientific standards to prove this belief. This may change soon as SETI the worldwide organization for the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence has a well funded and a very sophisticated high tech program that uses radio astronomy to search for E.T. intelligence. Each year the equipment gets more sophisticated and powerful. Hopefully in the near future, we will make our first contact with E.T. intelligent beings. Because of the vast distances that exist in space this contact will probably be a one way communication. Then shortly after our first contact is made, it is possible that we may also start making contact with many more E.T. intelligent beings. I hope none have learned anything about the history of the human species occupying our planet Earth, “the insane asylum of the universe.” Hopefully there are altruistic civilizations in our universe who want to share their advanced technology with other civilizations and have made their history and knowledge available to all civilizations that have reached at least the stages of radio astronomy. Hopefully, “despite the insanity of its civilization”, planet Earth will make the contact list. Although deciphering their messages might be difficult at first, I believe we will find a Rosetta Stone in their transmissions that will help translate their messages and enable us to comprehend what they are telling us. When we decipher their messages, I truly believe it will reveal that the above estimate of 975,000 trillion Intelligent beings was an overly conservative estimate and that the real figure is many times that amount. This possibility is compatible with Buddhism.

Do you exist?

;)
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby darwin2 » Dec 18, 2011 2:22 pm

THWOTH wrote:
darwin2 wrote:Does E.T. Intelligence exist? Buddhists say yes. Buddhist scriptures contain many references to other intelligent beings existing in our universe. Many scientists believe that intelligent life is abundant throughout our universe. The size of our universe is mind boggling. Our universe contains trillions and trillions of stars, solar systems and planets. I can’t believe intelligent life exists only on our planet. Such a reality would be a terrible waste of space.

(a + b)c × d= e

(a + b)c × d= e

Do you exist?

Yes I do exist.

;)
darwin2

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby THWOTH » Dec 18, 2011 4:06 pm

darwin2 wrote:
THWOTH wrote:Do you exist?

Yes I do exist.

;) How do you know? ;)

darwin2 wrote:At this moment in time the above estimate is not objectively provable. It is only intended to give an appreciation of how abundant intelligent life is might be given certain sets of circumstances and certain assumptions about our universe. I believe in the scientific method. Science is self-correcting and ultimately will find the correct answer.

FTFY :D I think the scientific enquiry to confirm or falsify your hypothesis is going to be a very long research project indeed. ;)
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby darwin2 » Dec 19, 2011 3:18 pm

THWOTH wrote:
darwin2 wrote:
THWOTH wrote:Do you exist?

Yes I do exist.

;) How do you know? ;)

I know because I am engaged in a dialogue with you and I am aware of this reality.

darwin2 wrote:At this moment in time the above estimate is not objectively provable. It is only intended to give an appreciation of how abundant intelligent life is might be given certain sets of circumstances and certain assumptions about our universe. I believe in the scientific method. Science is self-correcting and ultimately will find the correct answer.

FTFY :D I think the scientific enquiry to confirm or falsify your hypothesis is going to be a very long research project indeed. ;)

I agree that it is possible that it may take a very long research project. However I have strong confidence in the SETI project and my belief that our universe is abundant with inteligent life. I am optimistic that our first contact with ET will be soon,
darwin2

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 20, 2011 8:09 am

darwin2 wrote:
I agree that it is possible that it may take a very long research project. However I have strong confidence in the SETI project and my belief that our universe is abundant with inteligent life. I am optimistic that our first contact with ET will be soon,

I am optimistic about our contact with extraterrestrial life soon, but not of it being intelligent.

Incidentally, can you point me to the literature where Buddhism posits intelligent beings of natural origin. I can't seem to find any references.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 20, 2011 8:12 am

Incidentally, Buddhists are open to many things, but living in a nation of Buddhists, I wouldn't quite express them as 'being open' to the possibilities you suggest, only in contrast to strictly fundamentalist Abrahamicists who think the universe was made for them.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby byofrcs » Dec 20, 2011 8:14 am

darwin2 wrote:Does E.T. Intelligence exist? Buddhists say yes. Buddhist scriptures contain many references to other intelligent beings existing in our universe. ......

Citation needed.

They didn't happen to point out which star systems these are in or are these Texas Sharpshooter Buddhists ?
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 20, 2011 12:35 pm

I called a friend (ex-student) who was a Theravada Buddhist monk for 25 years to ask him about this and he said he's never heard anything like it. The only thing he could think of was of a suggestion of some kind of spiritual beings existing beyond the expanse of the world, but these aren't physical beings and they don't exist either on a planet, or really even in this universe/plane of existence.

Now I definitely want some citations!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby cavarka9 » Dec 20, 2011 12:42 pm

Spearthrower wrote:I called a friend (ex-student) who was a Theravada Buddhist monk for 25 years to ask him about this and he said he's never heard anything like it. The only thing he could think of was of a suggestion of some kind of spiritual beings existing beyond the expanse of the world, but these aren't physical beings and they don't exist either on a planet, or really even in this universe/plane of existence.

you take one monks word who says he has not heard such thing?
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
cavarka9

Name: prajna

India (in)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 20, 2011 1:38 pm

cavarka9 wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:I called a friend (ex-student) who was a Theravada Buddhist monk for 25 years to ask him about this and he said he's never heard anything like it. The only thing he could think of was of a suggestion of some kind of spiritual beings existing beyond the expanse of the world, but these aren't physical beings and they don't exist either on a planet, or really even in this universe/plane of existence.

you take one monks word who says he has not heard such thing?

*cough*

Spearthrower wrote:Incidentally, can you point me to the literature where Buddhism posits intelligent beings of natural origin. I can't seem to find any references.

*cough cough*

Spearthrower wrote:Now I definitely want some citations!

*cough cough cough*

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby darwin2 » Dec 20, 2011 4:11 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
darwin2 wrote:

I am optimistic about our contact with extraterrestrial life soon, but not of it being intelligent.

Incidentally, can you point me to the literature where Buddhism posits intelligent beings of natural origin. I can't seem to find any references.

In the Lotus Sutra there are many references to incalculable numbers of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas in an incalculable number of Buddhist worlds. Although there is no evidence that would meet acceptable scientific standards to prove such beings or such worlds do exist, as a Buddhist I am open to accepting this possibility as a reality.

As to the second issue concerning literature where Buddhism posits intelligent beings of natural origin, are you talking about other worlds where intelligent beings evolve in a similar way humans have evolved? If this is what you are asking I can’t give you an answer because I am not well read on the Sutras. I have only read several Sutras that pertain to Judo ShinShu Buddhism the sect of Buddhism I have been lay ordained in.
darwin2

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby darwin2 » Dec 20, 2011 4:24 pm

Spearthrower wrote:Incidentally, Buddhists are open to many things, but living in a nation of Buddhists, I wouldn't quite express them as 'being open' to the possibilities you suggest, only in contrast to strictly fundamentalist Abrahamicists who think the universe was made for them.

I know too many Abrahamicists who think the universe was made for them. They ignorantly reject science. However Buddhism is not that way. Buddhists are very open people and believe in the scientific method. In his book “Inner Peace” His Holiness the Dalai Lama states on pages 183-184 “In general, Buddhists accept whatever is acknowledged to be a fact. Now Buddhists believe in rebirth. But let’s imagine that thanks to various types of research, science one day came to a definite conclusion that rebirth does not exist; then, if that were utterly proven we would have to accept it, and we would accept it. Basically, the Buddhist attitude on any subject is one that is in accord with the known facts.” I think this supports my contention that Buddhists would be open to the possibilities I suggest.
darwin2

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby darwin2 » Dec 20, 2011 4:45 pm

byofrcs wrote:
darwin2 wrote:Does E.T. Intelligence exist? Buddhists say yes. Buddhist scriptures contain many references to other intelligent beings existing in our universe. ......

Citation needed.

They didn't happen to point out which star systems these are in or are these Texas Sharpshooter Buddhists ?

The eighth vow of Amida Buddha states,
"If, when I attain Buddhahood, humans and devas in my land should not possess the faculty of knowing the thoughts of others, at least those of all sentient beings living in a hundred thousand kotis of nayutas of Buddha-lands, may I not attain perfect Enlightenment."
A hundred thousand kotis of nayutas means an incalculable number of worlds in the Cosmos and all sentient beings means an incalculable number of intelligent beings occupying these worlds

As far as I know Buddhist scriptures do not point out which star systems these are in.
darwin2

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby darwin2 » Dec 20, 2011 4:51 pm

I gave you an excellent quote from the Dalai Lama in a previous post to you. That should clear the air that Buddhists are open to the possibilities I suggested.
darwin2

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 20, 2011 4:56 pm

Buddha-lands:

http://godsdirectcontact.com/relatedtop ... eland.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_land

The pure realms are all accessible through experiential meditation and trance sadhana.

Spearthrower wrote:The only thing he could think of was of a suggestion of some kind of spiritual beings existing beyond the expanse of the world, but these aren't physical beings and they don't exist either on a planet, or really even in this universe/plane of existence.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#20  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 20, 2011 4:59 pm

darwin2 wrote:

I gave you an excellent quote from the Dalai Lama in a previous post to you. That should clear the air that Buddhists are open to the possibilities I suggested.

As I already said, I don't think your sentence has any meaning. It's not that Buddhists are open or closed to E.T. - but rather that nothing in Buddhism informs them either way. Generally though, Buddhists have very little ideological doctrines to demand that they view Earth as special. Buddha effectively instructed that if evidence contradicted a belief, that the belief should be thrown out. That doesn't actually mean that occurs in every individual, as you'd know if you come and visit this nation of 65million plus Buddhists! :)

I think it might be clearer if you said 'Buddhism is open to the possibilities suggested' - it might seem like nitpicking from afar, but on the ground it makes a world of difference.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Next

Return to Other Religions & Belief Systems