Hindu Monotheism

Hinduism and Monotheism

Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Paganism, Taoism etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Hindu Monotheism

#21  Postby surreptitious57 » Jul 11, 2018 6:10 pm

Tritarianism is easily one of the most ridiculous ideas ever. Three Gods makes sense as does one God. What does not make
any sense whatsoever is three Gods in one God. And yet this is what apparently passes for logic within the Catholic Church
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
 
Posts: 10074

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Hindu Monotheism

#22  Postby laklak » Jul 11, 2018 7:43 pm

Hindus have the Trimurti, the trinity of Brahma the Creator, Vishnu the Preserver, and Shiva the Destroyer. All are aspects of the One God, Brahman. They're three, but one. How does that differ from the Catholic Trinity, logically speaking? Looks like the same nonsense to me. SSDD.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 19344
Age: 65
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: Hindu Monotheism

#23  Postby Animavore » Jul 11, 2018 7:55 pm

There's 3-in-1 toothpaste. It's not a difficult concept.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 42582
Age: 40
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Hindu Monotheism

#24  Postby laklak » Jul 11, 2018 8:01 pm

Tripods spring to mind. When you touch one of the legs, are you not touching the tripod? The legs are the tripod and the tripod is the legs. Remove one leg and it is no longer a tripod.

Deepity.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 19344
Age: 65
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: Hindu Monotheism

#25  Postby Alan B » Jul 11, 2018 8:10 pm

Image
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
User avatar
Alan B
 
Posts: 9433
Age: 83
Male

Country: UK (Birmingham)
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Hindu Monotheism

#26  Postby lpetrich » May 19, 2019 7:35 pm

I think that a problem with understanding Hindu monotheism is that many of us are most familiar with the Abrahamic kind -- all deities are fictional beings or devils except the One True God -- exclusive monotheism.

Hindu monotheists believe in a different sort: inclusive monotheism, where all gods are aspects of a single big god.

Greco-Roman polytheists believed in inclusive polytheism, where their gods are worshipped under different names and in different ways by different people. One can see this in Romans identifying their deities with Greek ones, and in Apuleius's "The Golden Ass", where Isis claims that she is worshipped as numerous deities. Abrahamic exclusivism was very odd to them.
lpetrich
 
Posts: 730
Age: 58
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Hindu Monotheism

#27  Postby Blackadder » May 19, 2019 9:01 pm

The rest of the world likes its fuckwittery in rather bland mono-flavours. Indians, on the other hand, like to combine many different flavours of fuckwittery, reflecting its wonderfully diverse cultures and languages, to create complex and vibrant crocks of shit.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
User avatar
Blackadder
RS Donator
 
Posts: 3638
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Hindu Monotheism

#28  Postby Svartalf » May 20, 2019 9:16 am

Animavore wrote:I spoke to a Hindu chappy about this year's ago. Apparently all these other little gods are manifestations of the One god - in his view. Given how diverse Hinduism seems to be; other Hindus may disagree.

Yeah, weirdly enough many Indians devote themselves to One God, often Vishnu or Shiva (I don't know about Brahma), but they keep honoring the lesser ones as aspects of the One.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
User avatar
Svartalf
 
Posts: 898
Age: 49
Male

Country: France
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Hindu Monotheism

#29  Postby Svartalf » May 20, 2019 9:18 am

jamest wrote:I looked into Hinduism once. Rationally, the concept of monotheism allows for no 'little Gods' at all. Just delusional ideas of other Gods. Thus, fuck Hinduism.

You know, it's exactly the same with Chretinity... there's ONE god, that is Triune with the Son and the Holy Ghost, but worshippers still go on praying to angels and saints for intercession as those are closer to us and may have the ear of the One above.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
User avatar
Svartalf
 
Posts: 898
Age: 49
Male

Country: France
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Hindu Monotheism

#30  Postby Svartalf » May 20, 2019 9:21 am

surreptitious57 wrote:Tritarianism is easily one of the most ridiculous ideas ever. Three Gods makes sense as does one God. What does not make
any sense whatsoever is three Gods in one God. And yet this is what apparently passes for logic within the Catholic Church

In case you hadn't noticed, rationality and religion have no ties together, the greatest minds of the middle ages tried to reconcile the concept of the One God being actually triune, and all failed miserably.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
User avatar
Svartalf
 
Posts: 898
Age: 49
Male

Country: France
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Hindu Monotheism

#31  Postby Alan B » May 20, 2019 10:20 am

laklak wrote:Hindus have the Trimurti, the trinity of Brahma the Creator, Vishnu the Preserver, and Shiva the Destroyer. All are aspects of the One God, Brahman. 'snip'

In the far off days of limited knowledge, I can understand how certain aspects of nature were a mystery and it was natural to assume that 'something' or 'someone' was responsible for the facts of life and death and natural events.
This, of course, fell into the hands of an emerging priestly caste which formalised these beliefs as a means of control. Once these beliefs were written down and converted to formal worship, (of whatever deity), a permanent mind-set in the individual was created.
This permanent mind-set (based on false or lack of knowledge) will reject any attempts at change due to the expanded knowledge base we have today - even to the point, in some cases, of killing the proponents of change.

I think this applies to many religions and sects of today.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
User avatar
Alan B
 
Posts: 9433
Age: 83
Male

Country: UK (Birmingham)
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Hindu Monotheism

#32  Postby Spearthrower » May 20, 2019 10:43 am

Alan B wrote:They wore the red mark on their foreheads which I believe is Hindu and not Christian...


The bindi is mostly cultural. It can have religious significance, but that significance wouldn't be in contradiction to any Christianic beliefs that an Indian were to hold.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 23447
Age: 43
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Hindu Monotheism

#33  Postby Spearthrower » May 20, 2019 10:47 am

lpetrich wrote:I think that a problem with understanding Hindu monotheism is that many of us are most familiar with the Abrahamic kind -- all deities are fictional beings or devils except the One True God -- exclusive monotheism.

Hindu monotheists believe in a different sort: inclusive monotheism, where all gods are aspects of a single big god.



This is right, except where it's wrong! :)

It's just not possible to put Hinduism into a single satisfactory box.

Some Hindus have the vehicle god formulation, avatars or expressions of the over-god... others see those gods as distinct entities under the over-god.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 23447
Age: 43
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Hindu Monotheism

#34  Postby Spearthrower » May 20, 2019 10:49 am

jamest wrote:I looked into Hinduism once. Rationally, the concept of monotheism allows for no 'little Gods' at all. Just delusional ideas of other Gods. Thus, fuck Hinduism.



What's Satan?

What's Gabriel?

What's the Holy Ghost?

What's Jesus?

Thus, fuck Christianity, amirite?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 23447
Age: 43
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Hindu Monotheism

#35  Postby Svartalf » May 20, 2019 11:18 am

well, of course fuck chretinity, it's absurdities piled up on a base of nonsense.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
User avatar
Svartalf
 
Posts: 898
Age: 49
Male

Country: France
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Hindu Monotheism

#36  Postby NineBerry » May 20, 2019 12:34 pm

duvduv wrote:Can anyone point me to explanations for how Hinduism reconciles pure monotheism as exemplified in these selections of the Vedas with adhering to worshiping of multiple types of deities? If they are aware there is just a single deity Ishwar("Brahman") what do they need all the other beliefs for?


The original Hinduism was the religion of Allah as taught to the early Hindus by Prophets sent to them by Allah. The original Hinduism taught pure monotheism. The parts of the Vedas that you quoted are remnants of this book given to the early Hindus by Allah through prophets. Everything that conflicts with pure monotheism was added later on.

And Allah knows best.
User avatar
NineBerry
RS Donator
 
Posts: 5779
Age: 41
Male

Country: nSk
Print view this post

Re: Hindu Monotheism

#37  Postby Svartalf » May 20, 2019 12:36 pm

NB, stop breaking my sarcasmeters or I'll have to charge you for the replacement.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
User avatar
Svartalf
 
Posts: 898
Age: 49
Male

Country: France
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Hindu Monotheism

#38  Postby laklak » May 20, 2019 3:43 pm

Allah, Jehovah, Jesus, Zoroaster, Baal, Moloch, Jupiter, Thor, et. al. are aspects of Brahman.

Prove me wrong.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 19344
Age: 65
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: Hindu Monotheism

#39  Postby Spearthrower » May 20, 2019 4:06 pm

laklak wrote:Allah, Jehovah, Jesus, Zoroaster, Baal, Moloch, Jupiter, Thor, et. al. are aspects of Brahman.

Prove me wrong.



Baboons have teeth and bite leopards unlike Legolas who shoots arrows at giant elephants, therefore you're wrong!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 23447
Age: 43
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Hindu Monotheism

#40  Postby laklak » May 20, 2019 4:08 pm

Damn, can't argue with that.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 19344
Age: 65
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Other Religions & Belief Systems

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest