How old is the Yazidi religion?

Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Paganism, Taoism etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

How old is the Yazidi religion?

#1  Postby Oeditor » Aug 09, 2014 12:24 pm

The first article i read about it was in the Telegraph and the author said it predated all the Abrahamic religions, being about 6000 years old. I suppose that dates it back to the beginning of the universe for the creationists: I wonder what Ken Ham makes of that?
They are scared of lettuce. They abhor pumpkins. They practise maybe the oldest religion in the world. And now, after at least 6,000 years, they are finally being exterminated, even as I write this.
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100282674/death-of-a-religion-isis-and-the-yezidi/
Then as the threatened genocide by ISIS became more widely known, an article in the Guardian described it as having been invented by a Muslim Sheikh only about 1000 years ago.
A historically misunderstood group, the Yazidis are predominantly ethnically Kurdish, and have kept alive their syncretic religion for centuries, despite many years of oppression and threatened extermination.

The ancient religion is rumoured to have been founded by an 11th century Ummayyad sheikh, and is derived from Zoroastrianism (an ancient Persian faith founded by a philosopher), Christianity and Islam. The religion has taken elements from each, ranging from baptism (Christianity) to circumcision (Islam) to reverence of fire as a manifestation from God (derived from Zoroastrianism) and yet remains distinctly non-Abrahamic. This derivative quality has often led the Yazidis to be referred to as a sect.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/07/who-yazidi-isis-iraq-religion-ethnicity-mountains
Can't both be right!
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: How old is the Yazidi religion?

#2  Postby Animavore » Aug 09, 2014 12:29 pm

Their calender seems to begin about 6,000 years ago.

According to the Yezidi calendar, April 2012 marked the beginning of their year 6,762 (thereby year 1 would have been in 4,750 BC in the Gregorian calendar).

But their founder died in the 12th century.

The origin of the Yazidi religion is now usually seen by scholars as a complex process of syncretism, whereby the belief system and practices of a local faith had a profound influence on the religiosity of adherents of the 'Adawiyya Sufi order living in the Yezidi mountains, and caused it to deviate from Islamic norms relatively soon after the death of its founder, Shaykh 'Adī ibn Musafir, who is said to be of Umayyad descent. He settled in the valley of Laliş (some thirty-six miles north-east of Mosul) in the early 12th century. Şêx Adî himself, a figure of undoubted orthodoxy, enjoyed widespread influence. He died in 1162, and his tomb at Laliş is a focal point of Yazidi pilgrimage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yazidi#Origins

So the Torygraph is the incorrect one.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby kiore » Aug 09, 2014 12:37 pm

As they incorporate the Koran into their holy books they are effectively 'new' as far as Abramhamic faiths are concerned.
And yes their founder even more recent, suspect they are being confused with Zoroastrians in the 'oldest' category.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#4  Postby chairman bill » Aug 09, 2014 1:07 pm

it was born out of a sun-worshipping religion, and is a syncretic mix of that & Sufi-style Islam. The sun-worshipping bit goes a long way back.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Blood » Aug 09, 2014 2:25 pm

You wouldn't say, for example, Methodism was a "new religion" because they only started in the 18th Century. It's just a breakaway sect of the larger branch of Christianity. I suspect that the Yazidi religion is the same. The religious mind hates novelty; entirely "new" religions are rare.
"One absurdity having been granted, the rest follows. Nothing difficult about that."
- Aristotle, Physics I, 185a
Blood

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby trubble76 » Aug 09, 2014 4:09 pm

Oeditor wrote:The first article i read about it was in the Telegraph and the author said it predated all the Abrahamic religions, being about 6000 years old. I suppose that dates it back to the beginning of the universe for the creationists: I wonder what Ken Ham makes of that?
They are scared of lettuce. They abhor pumpkins. They practise maybe the oldest religion in the world. And now, after at least 6,000 years, they are finally being exterminated, even as I write this.
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100282674/death-of-a-religion-isis-and-the-yezidi/
Then as the threatened genocide by ISIS became more widely known, an article in the Guardian described it as having been invented by a Muslim Sheikh only about 1000 years ago.
A historically misunderstood group, the Yazidis are predominantly ethnically Kurdish, and have kept alive their syncretic religion for centuries, despite many years of oppression and threatened extermination.

The ancient religion is rumoured to have been founded by an 11th century Ummayyad sheikh, and is derived from Zoroastrianism (an ancient Persian faith founded by a philosopher), Christianity and Islam. The religion has taken elements from each, ranging from baptism (Christianity) to circumcision (Islam) to reverence of fire as a manifestation from God (derived from Zoroastrianism) and yet remains distinctly non-Abrahamic. This derivative quality has often led the Yazidis to be referred to as a sect.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/07/who-yazidi-isis-iraq-religion-ethnicity-mountains
Can't both be right!

It seems odd to me that they attribute circumcision to Islam. Surely Judaism holds that dubious honour?
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby RealityRules » Aug 09, 2014 11:16 pm

Zoroaster is credited with being the founder of monotheism. It's interesting he was based in what we now know as Afghanistan in the 5th/6th C BCE/BC when many of the Jewish texts, as we know them today, were being formulated nearby during the Jewish 'Babylonean exile'.
RealityRules

Name: GMak

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Blood » Aug 11, 2014 12:08 am

"Monotheism" is a word invented in the 16th century CE, I think. It's overused. Judaism is not monotheistic; according to the original text of Deuteronomy YHWH was one of the 70 sons of El-Elyon, the idea being that El-Elyon created a god for every nation.
"One absurdity having been granted, the rest follows. Nothing difficult about that."
- Aristotle, Physics I, 185a
Blood

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Zwaarddijk » Aug 17, 2014 1:30 pm

RealityRules wrote:Zoroaster is credited with being the founder of monotheism. It's interesting he was based in what we now know as Afghanistan in the 5th/6th C BCE/BC when many of the Jewish texts, as we know them today, were being formulated nearby during the Jewish 'Babylonean exile'.

It's also interesting how polytheistic the texts of early zoroastrianism are!
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Zwaarddijk » Aug 17, 2014 1:31 pm

Blood wrote:"Monotheism" is a word invented in the 16th century CE, I think. It's overused. Judaism is not monotheistic; according to the original text of Deuteronomy YHWH was one of the 70 sons of El-Elyon, the idea being that El-Elyon created a god for every nation.

Where does the "original text of Deuteronomy" state anything like that? Just nowhere. You're adding bits to the text that are not there. That's not a very rational approach to evidence-based reasoning, is it?

(Also, fun how you use a rather peculiar semantic fallacy - just because the original version of Judaism sometime back in the mist of times - and in this case, an original version you seem to have made up out of thin air* - wasn't monotheistic, doesn't mean Judaism as we know it isn't monotheistic either.)

* Do get me right here - I think monotheistic Judaism did develop out of the polytheistic Israelite religion, and the transition probably is slightly after the first exile, with remants hanging around until the end of the second temple even - however, I do think we should take care that we don't make scenarios up out of thin air.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Zwaarddijk » Aug 17, 2014 1:37 pm

trubble76 wrote:
Oeditor wrote:The first article i read about it was in the Telegraph and the author said it predated all the Abrahamic religions, being about 6000 years old. I suppose that dates it back to the beginning of the universe for the creationists: I wonder what Ken Ham makes of that?

Can't both be right!

It seems odd to me that they attribute circumcision to Islam. Surely Judaism holds that dubious honour?

It's likely muslims have pushed circumcision on them - something the Jews are quite a bit less likely to have done. Get it? What is being attributed here is not who came up with an idea, but by what vector it has reached Yazidism. Positing a Judaic element is superfluous and occam's razor therefore cuts the Jews out of this picture.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Return to Other Religions & Belief Systems