Reincarnation Myth or Possible?

Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Paganism, Taoism etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Reincarnation Myth or Possible?

#61  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 05, 2014 9:06 pm

MarkHei wrote:I read a lot about your skeptical views on a subject I have a little history behind and I find your analysis to be lazy on these subjects. Rather than just be doubters, you need to look at the evidence with an open mind. Many of you seem to have an attitude of being afraid of humiliation vs finding the truth.

Present the evidence then!
Assertions won't prove anything.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#62  Postby MarkHei » Apr 06, 2014 2:20 am

MarkHei

Name: Mark Heideman

United States (us)
Print view this post

#63  Postby MarkHei » Apr 06, 2014 4:58 am

MarkHei

United States (us)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 06, 2014 10:19 am

Evidence Mark not anecdote and assertions.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#65  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 06, 2014 10:41 am

That is all he can come up with. Another thread!
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#66  Postby campermon » Apr 06, 2014 10:43 am

@Mark

Show me an example of a consciousness that can exist without a physical substrate.

:coffee:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#67  Postby MarkHei » Apr 06, 2014 10:29 pm

Consciousness doesn't exist when our bodies are gone. Consciousness exists when we are born. What happens in between death and rebirth is an intermediate period of emptiness. Understanding emptiness is what motivates Buddhists to seek enlightenment. You're not interested.
MarkHei

United States (us)
Print view this post

#68  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 06, 2014 10:31 pm

MarkHei wrote:Consciousness doesn't exist when our bodies are gone. Consciousness exists when we are born. What happens in between death and rebirth is an intermediate period of emptiness. Understanding emptiness is what motivates Buddhists to seek enlightenment. You're not interested.

Bend a spoon, man. It could be the scoop of the day.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#69  Postby MarkHei » Apr 06, 2014 10:44 pm

Nothing but sarcasm from the skeptic community. Maybe we should call you the Doubter Society as you don't take paranormal phenomenon seriously or objectively.
MarkHei

United States (us)
Print view this post

#70  Postby fluttermoth » Apr 06, 2014 10:57 pm

Mark, I don't want you to feel like I'm stalking you, but I really would like clarification from on you on this;

fluttermoth wrote:
MarkHei wrote:
If you are reincarnated as a sex slave in a brothel you might ask what you did in a past life that brought you here

So...what you're basically say here is, if someone is enslaved, or sexually abused, or some other abhorrent thing happens to them, it's their fault and that they're being punished for something they did in a previous life, that they're unlikely to remember, is that right?
fluttermoth

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#71  Postby laklak » Apr 07, 2014 12:58 am

MarkHei wrote:Nothing but sarcasm from the skeptic community. Maybe we should call you the Doubter Society as you don't take paranormal phenomenon seriously or objectively.

No,I don't take it seriously, any more than I take leprechauns or unicorns seriously. Or trolls, for that matter. Or an old pair of socks. I can't speak for everyone else here, but I'd wager the majority would agree with me.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Apr 07, 2014 1:16 am

MarkHei wrote:Nothing but sarcasm from the skeptic community. Maybe we should call you the Doubter Society as you don't take paranormal phenomenon seriously or objectively.

Suppose I claimed that I am Albert Einstein? Would you accept that at face value?
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#73  Postby MarkHei » Apr 07, 2014 2:22 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:

Suppose I claimed that I am Albert Einstein? Would you accept that at face value?

If you were two years old and you told me you were Albert Einstein I would ask a few more questions.
MarkHei

United States (us)
Print view this post

#74  Postby MarkHei » Apr 07, 2014 2:30 am

I was born a few months after JFK was shot. Bow to your knees.
MarkHei

United States (us)
Print view this post

#75  Postby MarkHei » Apr 07, 2014 2:39 am

fluttermoth wrote:Mark, I don't want you to feel like I'm stalking you, but I really would like clarification from on you on this;

fluttermoth wrote:
MarkHei wrote:
If you are reincarnated as a sex slave in a brothel you might ask what you did in a past life that brought you here

So...what you're basically say here is, if someone is enslaved, or sexually abused, or some other abhorrent thing happens to them, it's their fault and that they're being punished for something they did in a previous life, that they're unlikely to remember, is that right?

Yes, that is what I am suggesting MAY be true.

Ok lets clear this up.

You can be reborn as anybody in the next life. If you are born a white boy in a nice family you're going to probably think differently than the little girl who was born in a brothel. To that little girl she is living in a Buddhist society like Thailand for example. They believe in reincarnation. The people there believe they are in a certain class or in a certain place in life because of their past life. Like it or not. Now am I cruel for expressing this? If it bothers you, do something. Find a charity that helps sex slaves. The problem is real. You can exclaim your disgust but that does nothing.
MarkHei

United States (us)
Print view this post

#76  Postby MarkHei » Apr 07, 2014 3:38 am

"If science can disprove reincarnation, Tibetan Buddhism would abandon reincarnation... but it's going to be mighty hard to disprove reincarnation."

The Dali Lama
MarkHei

United States (us)
Print view this post

#77  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 07, 2014 4:17 am

MarkHei wrote:
Darwinsbulldog wrote:

If you were two years old and you told me you were Albert Einstein I would ask a few more questions.

Why 2 years old?
Why not 1 year old or 20?
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#78  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 07, 2014 4:17 am

MarkHei wrote:I was born a few months after JFK was shot. Bow to your knees.

Are you just trolling now? What are trying to say here?
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#79  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 07, 2014 4:18 am

MarkHei wrote:"If science can disprove reincarnation, Tibetan Buddhism would abandon reincarnation... but it's going to be mighty hard to disprove reincarnation."

The Dali Lama

He also said this:

“If scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims.”

― Dalai Lama XIV, The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#80  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 07, 2014 4:26 am

MarkHei wrote:
fluttermoth wrote:Mark, I don't want you to feel like I'm stalking you, but I really would like clarification from on you on this;

fluttermoth wrote:
MarkHei wrote:

Yes, that is what I am suggesting MAY be true.

Ok lets clear this up.

You can be reborn as anybody in the next life. If you are born a white boy in a nice family you're going to probably think differently than the little girl who was born in a brothel. To that little girl she is living in a Buddhist society like Thailand for example. They believe in reincarnation. The people there believe they are in a certain class or in a certain place in life because of their past life. Like it or not. Now am I cruel for expressing this? If it bothers you, do something. Find a charity that helps sex slaves. The problem is real. You can exclaim your disgust but that does nothing.

Still no evidence for reincarnation I see.
Just more fallacious appeals to emotion and popularity. :nono:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Other Religions & Belief Systems