Reincarnation Myth or Possible?

Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Paganism, Taoism etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Reincarnation Myth or Possible?

#81  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Apr 07, 2014 5:18 am

MarkHei wrote:
Darwinsbulldog wrote:
MarkHei wrote:Nothing but sarcasm from the skeptic community. Maybe we should call you the Doubter Society as you don't take paranormal phenomenon seriously or objectively.

Suppose I claimed that I am Albert Einstein? Would you accept that at face value?

If you were two years old and you told me you were Albert Einstein I would ask a few more questions.

Well, that's a start. Can you see that a claim is not necessarily true? Belief is not a factor here, evidence is. You would want some pretty hard evidence to believe my claim that I am AE.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#82  Postby MarkHei » Apr 07, 2014 5:30 am

What if your daughter claimed she was Anne Frank and then told you details only Anne Frank would know at the time she was first able to speak? Then later that same girl turns into a great writer and is published at the age of 12. She then tells her story that she is Anne Frank in another life. Would you dismiss it?
MarkHei

Name: Mark Heideman

United States (us)
Print view this post

#83  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 07, 2014 5:33 am

MarkHei wrote:What if your daughter claimed she was Anne Frank and then told you details only Anne Frank would know at the time she was first able to speak? Then later that same girl turns into a great writer and is published at the age of 12. She then tells her story that she is Anne Frank in another life. Would you dismiss it?

As anecdotes told by parents, who might believe in reincarnation regardless of what their daughter really says? Yes, Dismissed.

People telling me stories about reincarnation just means to me that they're ambitious storytellers.

Ever hear about that game of 'telephone'. It's about transmission of stories, and the amplification of distortions.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#84  Postby MarkHei » Apr 07, 2014 5:50 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
MarkHei wrote:What if your daughter claimed she was Anne Frank and then told you details only Anne Frank would know at the time she was first able to speak? Then later that same girl turns into a great writer and is published at the age of 12. She then tells her story that she is Anne Frank in another life. Would you dismiss it?

As anecdotes told by parents, who might believe in reincarnation regardless of what their daughter really says? Yes, Dismissed.

People telling me stories about reincarnation just means to me that they're ambitious storytellers.

Ever hear about that game of 'telephone'. It's about transmission of stories, and the amplification of distortions.

The Parents didn't believe her. The father was very angry of what her daughter said. She held it in for years. But the mother believed her after the visit to the Anne Frank house and the girl was able to identify pictures that were missing on the wall and steps outside the building that had been removed.
MarkHei

United States (us)
Print view this post

#85  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Apr 07, 2014 5:59 am

If my daughter told me she was Anne frank she would be wrong by definition. The fact that she is a great writer has nothing to do with her status as Anne Frank. What details did this daughter know that could only be known to Anne frank? By definition, if only Anne Frank knew about X or Y or Z, then there can be no confirmation of such "facts". HTH.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#86  Postby MarkHei » Apr 07, 2014 6:41 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:

If my daughter told me she was Anne frank she would be wrong by definition. The fact that she is a great writer has nothing to do with her status as Anne Frank. What details did this daughter know that could only be known to Anne frank? By definition, if only Anne Frank knew about X or Y or Z, then there can be no confirmation of such "facts". HTH.

She had nightmares as a child about steps coming up the stairs and told her mother her name was Anne Frank at an early age, spoke about it constantly until she realized it was getting her in trouble. She kept to herself until the visit to Amsterdam on a family vacation. She told her parents they were not far and she took them on a walk to the Anne Frank house. She told them the stairs were different. When she went upstairs she said there were pictures missing on the walls. The staff told the mother they had taken them down to be framed because the tourists were stealing them.

She later published a book at age 12 and she has a similar physical appearance to Anne Frank.
MarkHei

United States (us)
Print view this post

#87  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 07, 2014 6:50 am

MarkHei wrote:
Darwinsbulldog wrote:

She had nightmares as a child about steps coming up the stairs

So what?

MarkHei wrote:and told her mother her name was Anne Frank at an early age, spoke about it constantly until she realized it was getting her in trouble.

Again, so what?

MarkHei wrote:She kept to herself until the visit to Amsterdam on a family vacation. She told her parents they were not far and she took them on a walk to the Anne Frank house. She told them the stairs were different. When she went upstairs she said there were pictures missing on the walls. The staff told the mother they had taken them down to be framed because the tourists were stealing them.

She later published a book at age 12 and she has a similar physical appearance to Anne Frank.

And?
None of that proves she's Anne Frank's reincarnation.
At best it proves she has an active imagination, at worse ít's a fabricated story.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#88  Postby LucidFlight » Apr 07, 2014 7:06 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Ever hear about that game of 'telephone'.

I love that show.

"You're no Northling, Johnstone."
"Dry curries!"
"A barista always places bets."
"Velour more goalies."
"Winter is calming."
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#89  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 07, 2014 7:15 am

LucidFlight wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Ever hear about that game of 'telephone'.

I love that show.

"You're no Northling, Johnstone."
"Dry curries!"
"A barista always places bets."
"Velour more goalies."
"Winter is calming."

Note to self: Must find out more about this.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#90  Postby MrFungus420 » Apr 07, 2014 7:16 am

MarkHei wrote:Nothing but sarcasm from the skeptic community. Maybe we should call you the Doubter Society as you don't take paranormal phenomenon seriously or objectively.

Show us a paranormal phenomenon.
Atheism alone is no more a religion than health is a disease. One may as well argue over which brand of car pedestrians drive.
- AronRa
MrFungus420

Print view this post

#91  Postby MrFungus420 » Apr 07, 2014 7:19 am

MarkHei wrote:"If science can disprove reincarnation, Tibetan Buddhism would abandon reincarnation... but it's going to be mighty hard to disprove reincarnation."

The Dali Lama

Proving that the Dali Lama is NOT a great thinker and that he IS subject to committing logical fallacies to support his religious beliefs...just like creationists.
Atheism alone is no more a religion than health is a disease. One may as well argue over which brand of car pedestrians drive.
- AronRa
MrFungus420

Print view this post

#92  Postby Paul » Apr 07, 2014 7:48 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:None of that proves she's Anne Frank's reincarnation.
At best it proves she has an active imagination, at worse ít's a fabricated story.

and how convenient that she is the 'reincarnation' of Anne Frank, who's story is well known and who's house has been preserved as it was during the war, and not some other, unknown nobody amongst the billions of possibilities.
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#93  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 07, 2014 7:56 am

Paul wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:None of that proves she's Anne Frank's reincarnation.

and how convenient that she is the 'reincarnation' of Anne Frank, who's story is well known and who's house has been preserved as it was during the war, and not some other, unknown nobody amongst the billions of possibilities.

There were changes made to it to allow the public access. I wonder if she knows them.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#94  Postby Mike_L » Apr 07, 2014 8:19 am

MarkHei wrote:She had nightmares as a child about steps coming up the stairs and told her mother her name was Anne Frank at an early age, spoke about it constantly until she realized it was getting her in trouble. She kept to herself until the visit to Amsterdam on a family vacation. She told her parents they were not far and she took them on a walk to the Anne Frank house. She told them the stairs were different. When she went upstairs she said there were pictures missing on the walls. The staff told the mother they had taken them down to be framed because the tourists were stealing them.

Anne Frankenstein? :ask:
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#95  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 07, 2014 3:18 pm

Mike_L wrote:
MarkHei wrote:She had nightmares as a child about steps coming up the stairs and told her mother her name was Anne Frank at an early age, spoke about it constantly until she realized it was getting her in trouble. She kept to herself until the visit to Amsterdam on a family vacation. She told her parents they were not far and she took them on a walk to the Anne Frank house. She told them the stairs were different. When she went upstairs she said there were pictures missing on the walls. The staff told the mother they had taken them down to be framed because the tourists were stealing them.

Anne Frankenstein? :ask:

Those changes were well documented.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#96  Postby Paul » Apr 07, 2014 3:23 pm

Shame Anne Frank (the real one) didn't document her previous life, it might have given us some insight into why she had to suffer the way she did. Or not.
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#97  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 07, 2014 3:29 pm

Paul wrote:

Shame Anne Frank (the real one) didn't document her previous life, it might have given us some insight into why she had to suffer the way she did. Or not.

I wonder if that girl would like to tell us about her relationship with Peter. Now there is a challenge because the vital points have always been hidden.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#98  Postby MarkHei » Apr 07, 2014 4:25 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Paul wrote:

I wonder if that girl would like to tell us about her relationship with Peter. Now there is a challenge because the vital points have always been hidden.

Why don't you watch her interview or read her book? Skeptics are supposed to do research. It's hard work! You signed up for it. Now instead of hypothesis you should be investigating with an open mind. Otherwise it's just an exercise for your non profit status.
MarkHei

United States (us)
Print view this post

#99  Postby Onyx8 » Apr 07, 2014 4:44 pm

Why do you keep assuming people have not watched the interview? I did, and found it unconvincing. She told a story and there is no way to discover whether her story is true or not.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#100  Postby BlackBart » Apr 07, 2014 4:50 pm

MarkHei wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Paul wrote:

Why don't you watch her interview or read her book?

It's on the reading list. Currently number #250 of evidenceless assertions before Doris Stokes and after Cottingley Fairies.

Skeptics are supposed to do research.

We're not going to rush off and research any old anecdote that some random Internet guy asserts is fact! :lol:

It's hard work!

I tell you what. You do the hard work. Then you can pwn us when you show us your shiny Nobel medal, how's that?

You signed up for it.

No, I signed up for the laughing at pointing at the pathetic attempts at shifting the burden of proof. :lol:

Now instead of hypothesis you should be investigating with an open mind.

Er, what? :what:

Otherwise it's just an exercise for your non profit status.

What did that even mean?
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Other Religions & Belief Systems