Thailand bans film over depictions of Buddhist monks

Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Paganism, Taoism etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Thailand bans film over depictions of Buddhist monks

#1  Postby NineBerry » Oct 13, 2015 11:15 am

A Thai horror film about Buddhist monks has been banned over fears it could "destroy" the kingdom's majority faith, authorities say.

The culture ministry on Tuesday objected to certain parts of the film Arbat, including a kissing scene and one where a monk is shown taking drugs.

The clergy have long been revered in overwhelmingly Buddhist Thailand but in recent years have been rocked by scandals, including gambling and prostitution, as well as corruption at the increasingly wealthy temples propped by donations from the faithful.

"The movie has some scenes that will destroy Buddhism. If it is shown, people's faith in Buddhism will deteriorate," Somchai Surachatri, spokesman for Thailand's National Office of Buddhism, told AFP news agency.

[...]

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/10/t ... 14630.html
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Thailand bans film over depictions of Buddhist monks

#2  Postby Arjan Dirkse » Oct 13, 2015 12:04 pm

There have been a few scandals in Thailand involving monks using drugs and prostitution. I guess the Thais are a bit sensitive about having their image tarnished. In many ways it's quite a conservative place.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Thai Buddhist monk horror film banned

#3  Postby DoctorE » Oct 14, 2015 9:12 am

Bangkok (AFP) - A Thai horror film about Buddhist monks has been banned over fears it could "destroy" the kingdom's majority faith, authorities said on Tuesday.

The Ministry of Culture has objected to certain parts of the film "Arbat" including a kissing scene and one where a monk is shown taking drugs.

The clergy have long been revered in overwhelmingly Buddhist Thailand but in recent years have been rocked by scandals including gambling and prostitution, as well as corruption at the increasingly wealthy temples propped by donations from the faithful.

"The movie has some scenes that will destroy Buddhism. If it is shown, people's faith in Buddhism will deteriorate," Somchai Surachatri, spokesman for Thailand's National Office of Buddhism, told AFP.

His office sits on the censorship committee at the culture ministry.

Continues: http://news.yahoo.com/thai-buddhist-mon ... 03514.html
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Re: Thai Buddhist monk horror film banned

#4  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 14, 2015 9:18 am

Firstly, how hilarious is it that these self-declared guardians of the faith actually suggest that a 2500 year old religious belief system could be destroyed by a single film. How weak are peoples' beliefs?

Secondly, it's entirely typical in this country for the authorities to sweep difficult things under the rug, and declare that the populace is too innocent/ignorant/naive/emotional to see the banned content. Over and over, this is what the junta and Culture Ministers state is the reason for limiting what they people they supposedly serve are allowed to conceive of.

Thirdly, given the increasing authoritarianism with the current junta, I expect that the report you've cited above will also be blocked very shortly, as will any other mention of it.

Watch Thailand closely over the next 2 years - if it carries on this trajectory, I wouldn't be surprised to see another Khmer Rouge style authoritarian dictatorship here.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 15, 2015 12:17 am

Arjan Dirkse wrote:There have been a few scandals in Thailand involving monks using drugs and prostitution. I guess the Thais are a bit sensitive about having their image tarnished. In many ways it's quite a conservative place.

You can see numerous mendicant monks in Pantip Plaza (a mall for hi-tech equipment) shelling out lots of cash, monks taking taxis, monks using i-phones... even if no monk ever was involved in a sex/drugs type scandal, people really should've wised up by now.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby laklak » Oct 15, 2015 4:47 am

I've been to Pantip, cool place. And I did see monks there. BIG change from when I grew up in BK in the early 60s, monks really were itinerant beggars back then.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Oct 15, 2015 5:45 am

Spearthrower wrote:Firstly, how hilarious is it that these self-declared guardians of the faith actually suggest that a 2500 year old religious belief system could be destroyed by a single film. How weak are peoples' beliefs?

Secondly, it's entirely typical in this country for the authorities to sweep difficult things under the rug, and declare that the populace is too innocent/ignorant/naive/emotional to see the banned content. Over and over, this is what the junta and Culture Ministers state is the reason for limiting what they people they supposedly serve are allowed to conceive of.

Thirdly, given the increasing authoritarianism with the current junta, I expect that the report you've cited above will also be blocked very shortly, as will any other mention of it.

Watch Thailand closely over the next 2 years - if it carries on this trajectory, I wouldn't be surprised to see another Khmer Rouge style authoritarian dictatorship here.

I hope you have an emergency escape plan mate! :thumbup:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 15, 2015 12:50 pm

laklak wrote:I've been to Pantip, cool place. And I did see monks there. BIG change from when I grew up in BK in the early 60s, monks really were itinerant beggars back then.

You do still see a few doing the morning rounds getting all the food jammed into one big pot... but they're far outweighed by the hipster monks! ;)

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 15, 2015 12:51 pm

Darwinsbulldog wrote:
I hope you have an emergency escape plan mate! :thumbup:

Whatever the case, I don't want to be here when the big guy dies. :whine:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Return to Other Religions & Belief Systems