The god Thor

Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Paganism, Taoism etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: The god Thor

#21  Postby katja z » Mar 13, 2010 5:14 pm

Moonwatcher wrote:
Anyway, from reading Thor comics, I read some Norse mythology and indicated maybe Thor could be real. My parents explained he was just made up. I asked how they knew that. They said, "Well, have you ever seen him? Does he do anything?"
I said, "Not anymore but maybe its just like the Bible. At a certain point, he just doesn't do obvious things anymore. Maybe it's that magic stuff just stopped being done at some point just like with "God"."
My mother had this look on her face like, 'Trapped in my own logic' and said, "That's different."
Of course, I said, "Why?"
I think she just said something about how I'd understand whan I was older and walked away.

:rofl: Excellent argument, especially the "Why?"

And have you? Understood when you were older I mean? ;)
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Sphynxcat » Mar 13, 2010 5:23 pm

Oops - post deleted for going into wrong topic. Silly arse!
Author of 'Dreamshade', one weird and wild fantasy epic: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/15916
Sphynxcat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby cursuswalker » Mar 24, 2010 10:37 am

Ciarin wrote:I believe in Thor(Thunor), but I'm not Christian. If you believe in Thor it most likely means you follow a different religion than Christianity. So what's up with the question? Just trying to point out to Christians that they are "atheist" towards other gods? That's called Monotheism.

No, it is called atheism with regard to specified gods.
Image http://www.caerabred.org/

Space Corps Directive 723. 'Terraformers are expressly forbidden from recreating Swindon.'
cursuswalker

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby cursuswalker » Mar 24, 2010 10:38 am

Melhael wrote:
Ciarin wrote:I believe in Thor(Thunor), but I'm not Christian. If you believe in Thor it most likely means you follow a different religion than Christianity. So what's up with the question? Just trying to point out to Christians that they are "atheist" towards other gods? That's called Monotheism.

That's a bit weird: taking a god from a polytheistic pantheon and worshipping just him? Isn't that rather a type of polytheism? Like they did in Greece, or Rome or Egypt where they worshipped a local deity in priority but still acknowledge the existence of others?

(I can remember the exact term for that, I'm afraid...)

Henotheism :)

Space Corps Directive 723. 'Terraformers are expressly forbidden from recreating Swindon.'
cursuswalker

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby cursuswalker » Mar 24, 2010 10:40 am

katja z wrote:
Moonwatcher wrote:
Anyway, from reading Thor comics, I read some Norse mythology and indicated maybe Thor could be real. My parents explained he was just made up. I asked how they knew that. They said, "Well, have you ever seen him? Does he do anything?"
I said, "Not anymore but maybe its just like the Bible. At a certain point, he just doesn't do obvious things anymore. Maybe it's that magic stuff just stopped being done at some point just like with "God"."
My mother had this look on her face like, 'Trapped in my own logic' and said, "That's different."
Of course, I said, "Why?"
I think she just said something about how I'd understand whan I was older and walked away.

:rofl: Excellent argument, especially the "Why?"

And have you? Understood when you were older I mean? ;)

Brilliant!

Trapped by her own athorism :lol: :lol:

cursuswalker

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Ciarin » Mar 24, 2010 6:06 pm

cursuswalker wrote:

Which is called monotheism.
Ciarin

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby The_Metatron » Mar 24, 2010 6:16 pm

Moonwatcher wrote:
cursuswalker wrote:Do any Christians here believe in the existence of the god Thor?

I'm an atheist and I don't believe in Thor (redundant statement) but he's my favorite mythical god. His way of dealing with things is very- blunt. Nor does he have a later segment of the holy book where he suddenly becomes the opposite of what he started out being.

Have to agree with this. Irresistible force. Unstoppable justice.

Good myth, as myths go.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Mycernius » Mar 24, 2010 7:36 pm

I wonder if his popularity is due to the Marvel comics?
As a god he is pretty cool, and from what I have read about him he was popular with the peasants as a god to wroship. Odin was a bit too serious and his worship demanded human sacrifice.
Looking over mythology the gods of the past are easier to related to than the monotheistic ones today. Allah and Yahweh are too distant and very demanding and their followers are too damn serious and intolerant. Ones like Thor, Apollo, Isis, Horus, Athena, et al seem more, well, human. If they existed they'd be the ones who would like to invite to a party. Who would want Allah at a party? Just sit there and tell you not to do this and that, being disapproving of anything you did, chuck people out he didn't like eventually get chucked out by you at which point he would call you an infidel and get his mates to blow your party up. Miserable git.
Mycernius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Rollerlocked » Mar 24, 2010 8:17 pm

Thor comics have better stories than the bible, especially Thor comics by Walt Simonson.
"The last superstition of the human mind is the superstition that religion in itself is a good thing."
-Samuel Putnam
Rollerlocked

United States (us)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Moonwatcher » Mar 24, 2010 10:44 pm

Mycernius wrote:I wonder if his popularity is due to the Marvel comics?
As a god he is pretty cool, and from what I have read about him he was popular with the peasants as a god to wroship. Odin was a bit too serious and his worship demanded human sacrifice.
Looking over mythology the gods of the past are easier to related to than the monotheistic ones today. Allah and Yahweh are too distant and very demanding and their followers are too damn serious and intolerant. Ones like Thor, Apollo, Isis, Horus, Athena, et al seem more, well, human. If they existed they'd be the ones who would like to invite to a party. Who would want Allah at a party? Just sit there and tell you not to do this and that, being disapproving of anything you did, chuck people out he didn't like eventually get chucked out by you at which point he would call you an infidel and get his mates to blow your party up. Miserable git.

I've known people who were in Asatru who vehemently denied it and few who never read Marvel and others who bitch about the differences between Marvel and the myths (Loki was not Thor's brother, etc.), but I suspect the Marvel influence was there for a lot of them.
We're holograms projected by a scientist riding on the back of an elephant in a garden imagined by a goose in a snow globe on the mantel of a fireplace imagined in a book in the dreams of a child sleeping in his mother's lap.
Moonwatcher

Male

Print view this post

#31  Postby cursuswalker » Mar 24, 2010 10:48 pm

Ciarin wrote:
cursuswalker wrote:

And can also be called atheism with regard to specified gods, in that they see no evidence for the existence of those gods and therefore conclude that they do not exist (and are in fact manifestations of Satan).

cursuswalker

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Ciarin » Mar 25, 2010 2:00 am

I think Marvel did a comic on Thor cause he's so awesome and popular.
Ciarin

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#33  Postby MrMiyagi » Mar 25, 2010 2:06 am

The God of Thunder rode one night
Upon his favourite filly,
"I'm Thor!", he cried,
his horse replied
"You forgot your thaddle, thilly!"

</derail>
I'd choose Heaven for the weather and Hell for the company...
MrMiyagi

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Ciarin » Mar 26, 2010 9:24 am

cursuswalker wrote:
Ciarin wrote:
cursuswalker wrote:

And can also be called atheism with regard to specified gods, in that they see no evidence for the existence of those gods and therefore conclude that they do not exist (and are in fact manifestations of Satan).

Calling monotheism atheism reminds me of when people say atheism is a belief. It's a pointless trick.

regardless christians don't believe in Thor so the question is still rather ridiculous. and I wonder if this thread should be in the christian forum since that was the intended audience.
Ciarin

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#35  Postby katja z » Mar 26, 2010 9:53 am

MrMiyagi wrote:The God of Thunder rode one night
Upon his favourite filly,
"I'm Thor!", he cried,
his horse replied
"You forgot your thaddle, thilly!"

</derail>

:rofl: :clap: :clap:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby jparada » Mar 26, 2010 10:32 am

Ciarin wrote:
cursuswalker wrote:
Ciarin wrote:
cursuswalker wrote:

Calling monotheism atheism reminds me of when people say atheism is a belief. It's a pointless trick.

regardless christians don't believe in Thor so the question is still rather ridiculous. and I wonder if this thread should be in the christian forum since that was the intended audience.

The first people who called Christians atheists were pagans, Hellenic pagans specifically. They did so because Christians denied the existence of the Hellenic gods.
jparada

Colombia (co)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Ciarin » Mar 26, 2010 5:26 pm

jparada wrote:
Ciarin wrote:

The first people who called Christians atheists were pagans, Hellenic pagans specifically. They did so because Christians denied the existence of the Hellenic gods.

I think you mean roman pagans, but I really don't think what ancient pagans called christians really matters today. They're not actually atheist. And I'm wondering why atheists would even want to equate themselves with christians anyway.

Christians are monotheists. They believe in one god. We already have labels for theists who believe in one god or many gods, I really don't get the purpose of calling a monotheist an atheist just because he believes in one god rather than many. Does this mean pantheists and deists are atheist too? Does that mean everyone is atheist since people don't believe in every single god? If so, what's the point of having the word "atheist" if everyone is atheist?

Yea this definitely mirrors when people call atheism a belief or a religion. You're stretching the meaning of a word so you can include your opposition in your group.
Ciarin

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38  Postby cursuswalker » Mar 26, 2010 6:25 pm

Ciarin wrote:
cursuswalker wrote:
Ciarin wrote:
cursuswalker wrote:

It's a VETY useful trick when christians ask you how you "can" bre an atheist. Especially when you add the cmapaign by Thorosts to get lightning conductors removed from buildings, as they impeded his divine will. Totally fictional by the way.

cursuswalker

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#39  Postby jparada » Mar 26, 2010 11:05 pm

Ciarin wrote:
jparada wrote:
Ciarin wrote:

I think you mean roman pagans, but I really don't think what ancient pagans called christians really matters today. They're not actually atheist. And I'm wondering why atheists would even want to equate themselves with christians anyway.

Christians are monotheists. They believe in one god. We already have labels for theists who believe in one god or many gods, I really don't get the purpose of calling a monotheist an atheist just because he believes in one god rather than many. Does this mean pantheists and deists are atheist too? Does that mean everyone is atheist since people don't believe in every single god? If so, what's the point of having the word "atheist" if everyone is atheist?

Yea this definitely mirrors when people call atheism a belief or a religion. You're stretching the meaning of a word so you can include your opposition in your group.

sorry, but from the point of view of paganism, Christianity IS atheist. Pagan belief systems hold the existence of every god claimed as true, and show a trend towards reinterpreting the deities of alien systems in terms of their own. Exclusivist monotheistic religions such as the abrahamic ones reject ALL deities except their own, that makes them atheistic on the eyes of a pagan. Some other people just go one God further, and are fittingly called atheists by monotheists.
jparada

Colombia (co)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Ciarin » Mar 27, 2010 12:57 am

jparada wrote:
Ciarin wrote:
jparada wrote:
Ciarin wrote:

sorry, but from the point of view of paganism, Christianity IS atheist. Pagan belief systems hold the existence of every god claimed as true, and show a trend towards reinterpreting the deities of alien systems in terms of their own. Exclusivist monotheistic religions such as the abrahamic ones reject ALL deities except their own, that makes them atheistic on the eyes of a pagan. Some other people just go one God further, and are fittingly called atheists by monotheists.

You're not sorry. And I'm pagan,. from my point of view christians are monotheist. My pagan belief system does NOT hold the existence of every god claimed as true.

FYI, there are atheist pagans and monotheist pagans. Paganism != polytheism
Ciarin

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Other Religions & Belief Systems