The good bits of Scientology from atheists' perspectives

Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Paganism, Taoism etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: The good bits of Scientology from atheists' perspectives

#21  Postby John Platko » Mar 05, 2018 3:11 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:But who will start all the stupid threads about nothing? :waah:

I would but I gave that sort of thing up for lent.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 05, 2018 3:12 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:[b]
There are two types of people who threaten to leave a forum

Those who actually do and never ever return

Unless utilising a different IP and username :roll:
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#23  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 05, 2018 3:13 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:[b]
There are two types of people who threaten to leave a forum

Those who actually do and never ever return

Unless utilising a different IP and username :roll:
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#24  Postby surreptitious57 » Mar 05, 2018 3:20 pm

People who leave of their own free will do not need a different username or IP address

People who do return are not people who never return
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#25  Postby surreptitious57 » Mar 05, 2018 3:30 pm

You are still here even though it is past your own deadline

But just hang around for a bit to see if anything actually happens

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#26  Postby Fallible » Mar 05, 2018 3:47 pm

John Platko wrote:
Fallible wrote:Actually the ridiculous men from outer space getting blown up inside volcanoes spiel is only revealed once one reaches the higher OT levels.

OT-3, not so higher.

You said you liked how Hubbard made the back story ridiculous so it's easy for people to toss aside once they got far enough on the Bridge to not need that sort of construct anymore. It's the opposite of that. They only reveal it much later on the Bridge once they think you have invested too much money to jack it all in, when you are well into the OT levels.

They're scared they won't get people interested if they make it clear from the off. In the early stages, Scientology is advertised as pretty run of the mill self-help 'modules'. Only when they have you on the hook for $$$$$s do they pull out the big loony guns. You can search for videos of ex-members explaining the shock of having the lore revealed to them when they reached the requisite OT level.

You can drink the tech for free here.

In the 'Church' of Scientology, you only learn this stuff when you are far up the bridge, the opposite of what you said.

You can even get OT-VIII free online, or at least you could a while back.

In the Church of Scientology, you can't.

You're supposed to take that course onboard a special Scientology ship

I know. It's called the Freewinds. They sail you out into international waters where you can't get off, and then proceed to pump you for money.

but I found that it works just as well if you take in in the bathtub.

Who do you get to audit you in your bath tub?

Don't answer that.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#27  Postby John Platko » Mar 05, 2018 4:14 pm

Fallible wrote:
John Platko wrote:
Fallible wrote:Actually the ridiculous men from outer space getting blown up inside volcanoes spiel is only revealed once one reaches the higher OT levels.

OT-3, not so higher.

You said you liked how Hubbard made the back story ridiculous so it's easy for people to toss aside once they got far enough on the Bridge to not need that sort of construct anymore. It's the opposite of that. They only reveal it much later on the Bridge once they think you have invested too much money to jack it all in, when you are well into the OT levels.

By far enough I meant OT-7, and for the slow learners, OT-8. The important point is that, as I read the tech, the penny is supposed to drop and you're supposed to understand that it's a myth not a reality. But then again, I may be suppressive person. :dunno:

They're scared they won't get people interested if they make it clear from the off. In the early stages, Scientology is advertised as pretty run of the mill self-help 'modules'. Only when they have you on the hook for $$$$$s do they pull out the big loony guns. You can search for videos of ex-members explaining the shock of having the lore revealed to them when they reached the requisite OT level.

In the 'Church' of Scientology, you only learn this stuff when you are far up the bridge, the opposite of what you said.

Like I said, you get the good news about Xeno at OT-3, which isn't when you walk in the door, but it's a long way to the finish line from there. Obviously you have to go clear before you're ready for the heavy mental lifting required to deal with Xeno, Thetans, and such.

The Church likes to charge big bucks for that sort of thing. :scratch: I guess they're trying to recoup the investment they made in developing it. :dunno: But, these days one can get all the tech for free.

I know. It's called the Freewinds. They sail you out into international waters where you can't get off, and then proceed to pump you for money.

And if you find yourself on that ship and you're surprised to find a money pump shoved up you then :picard:

Don't answer that.

:evilgrin:
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Fallible » Mar 05, 2018 4:44 pm

John Platko wrote:
Fallible wrote:
John Platko wrote:

OT-3, not so higher.

By far enough I meant OT-7, and for the slow learners, OT-8. The important point is that, as I read the tech, the penny is supposed to drop and you're supposed to understand that it's a myth not a reality. But then again, I may be suppressive person. :dunno:

Almost certainly, aren't we all. Well, I definitely am. But no, they start out selling Scientology as self-help. Only when you've been reeled in do they unleash the loco.

Like I said, you get the good news about Xeno at OT-3, which isn't when you walk in the door, but it's a long way to the finish line from there.

No, it's not. Look at the chart. There are 22 'steps' to reach OT III, then only 5 after. There's a whole series of hoops to jump through before you reach Clear, and after Clear there's still an age to go before OT III.

I should probably mention here that nothing above OT VIII actually exists. Presumably Ron 'discarded his human body to continue his work' before he wrote those.

Obviously you have to go clear before you're ready for the heavy mental lifting required to deal with Xeno, Thetans, and such.

Oh, obviously, despite what you said about it being intentionally ridiculous so easier to discard. However even then, it's a further 8 steps on the bridge before they reveal the crazy.

The Church likes to charge big bucks for that sort of thing. :scratch: I guess they're trying to recoup the investment they made in developing it. :dunno: But, these days one can get all the tech for free.

Recoup the investment they made in developing it. Perhaps research that a bit more. :rofl: No one but you is talking about how one can get the 'tech'. I'm talking about the way the Church of Scientology runs their business.

And if you find yourself on that ship and you're surprised to find a money pump shoved up you then :picard:

...yes, and?

Don't answer that.

Seriously though, the problem with your insinuation that you can be a Scientologist by reading stuff on the internet is that dealing with those pesky engrams with incessant auditing is a central part of Scientology. It's not like religions where you can just read the books and say 'sounds good to me'. Clear is a finite state. You have to keep on and on rooting out your Crimes in order to maintain it.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#29  Postby John Platko » Mar 05, 2018 5:26 pm

Fallible wrote:
John Platko wrote:
Fallible wrote:
John Platko wrote:

OT-3, not so higher.

Almost certainly, aren't we all. Well, I definitely am. But no, they start out selling Scientology as self-help. Only when you've been reeled in do they unleash the loco.

Like I said, you get the good news about Xeno at OT-3, which isn't when you walk in the door, but it's a long way to the finish line from there.

No, it's not. Look at the chart. There are 22 'steps' to reach OT III, then only 5 after. There's a whole series of hoops to jump through before you reach Clear, and after Clear there's still an age to go before OT III.

I should probably mention here that nothing above OT VIII actually exists. Presumably Ron 'discarded his human body to continue his work' before he wrote those.

Obviously you have to go clear before you're ready for the heavy mental lifting required to deal with Xeno, Thetans, and such.

Oh, obviously, despite what you said about it being intentionally ridiculous so easier to discard.

It was a very fine line that L. Ron had to create. It had to be ridiculous enough so people could discard it when they were sufficiently mentally developed by the rest of the Tech but no so ridiculous that they would reject it when it was presented to them at OC-3. I guess that's what makes it worth the big bucks they like to charge for it.

However even then, it's a further 8 steps on the bridge before they reveal the crazy.

Recoup the investment they made in developing it. Perhaps research that a bit more. :rofl: No one but you is talking about how one can get the 'tech'. I'm talking about the way the Church of Scientology runs their business.

:scratch: I think it's very difficult to put a price on such things, they seem to be engaged in what the marketing types call value pricing.

...yes, and?

Don't answer that.

Seriously though, the problem with your insinuation that you can be a Scientologist by reading stuff on the internet is that dealing with those pesky engrams with incessant auditing is a central part of Scientology. It's not like religions where you can just read the books and say 'sounds good to me'. Clear is a finite state. You have to keep on and on rooting out your Crimes in order to maintain it.

I have the data on that, and my auto-auditing is as effective at achieving clear as Scientology auditing. Rest assured I float my needle daily and dissipate my charge. On going clear:

I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Fallible » Mar 05, 2018 5:36 pm

Bleh. Nope, it's still never as much fun as I think it's going to be watching you try.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#31  Postby BlackBart » Mar 05, 2018 5:40 pm

You should try teaching a Furby rude words instead. Much more entertaining.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Fallible » Mar 05, 2018 5:42 pm

I know what I'm doing tomorrowwww...
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#33  Postby John Platko » Mar 05, 2018 5:44 pm

Fallible wrote:Bleh. Nope, it's still never as much fun as I think it's going to be watching you try.

:eh: try what?

I love those Jason Beghe interviews.

But this guy is amazing:

I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#34  Postby BlackBart » Mar 05, 2018 5:45 pm

Fallible wrote:I know what I'm doing tomorrowwww...

:awesome:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Fallible » Mar 05, 2018 5:55 pm

John Platko wrote:
Fallible wrote:Bleh. Nope, it's still never as much fun as I think it's going to be watching you try.

:eh: try what?

Heh,
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby John Platko » Mar 05, 2018 7:21 pm

And no list of the good bits could leave out this piece of kit.

Every religion needs their holy cow!

And a demonstraton of how solo auditing is done:

I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#37  Postby surreptitious57 » Mar 05, 2018 9:32 pm

I see absolutely nothing good at all in Scientology. Look at how they treated John Travolta after his sixteen year old son died
He naturally wanted to leave after getting little emotional support from them but rather than let him go they threatened to tell the world that he was gay. As if anyone would have cared but still they would have done it. So never be surprised at the depths that some will go to just to protect their empire. It openly and systematically harasses anyone that tries to publicise anything true but negative about it. They use psychological tactics to get their way all of the time. Anyone who does that is not to be messed with. The last belief system I would ever want to join
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#38  Postby Fallible » Mar 05, 2018 9:47 pm

I could spend hours here just writing all the ways it's shit. Sexual and physical abuse of children, forced abortions, unlawful imprisonment, the policy of Fair Game, the total unimportance of family, parents taken from their children for months and years on Sea Org work, children made to sign billion year contracts, troubled kids sent to 'camp' to do hard labour, the policy that children are simply adults who are not full size and should be treated as such, the tenet that anything that happens to an individual is their own fault, the severely mentally ill to be removed from society, intimidation, frequent assaults by the COB on his staff, unethical selling, the fleecing of members to progress up the bridge, then the telling of those members that a comma was printed out of place somewhere in the material so they must do it all again (at their expense), the labelling of anyone who asks questions as SPs, the practice of filing KRs (Knowledge Reports) on friends, colleagues and family members suspected of committing suppressive acts, surveillance of people's homes, the policy of causing the 'professional decease' of any critics...must pause for breath.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#39  Postby surreptitious57 » Mar 05, 2018 9:49 pm

They threatened poor old Louis Theroux with legal action simply for filming them on public property. Geeky Louis who is
the most placid documentary film maker who ever lived although to be fair with them being American they did not know
who he was. Still guess who their lawyers were? Carter and Ruck. More people that one really should not be messing with
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#40  Postby Fallible » Mar 05, 2018 9:50 pm

I enjoyed watching him chase her off. She wasn't expecting him to know her name.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Other Religions & Belief Systems