The Kosher Light Switch

Light switch can be operated on Shabbat

Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Paganism, Taoism etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: The Kosher Light Switch

#21  Postby Blackadder » Apr 16, 2015 9:02 pm

No wonder the Jewish God of the Old Testament is so fucking angry all the time. He makes a few simple rules and then the Yews spend the next six thousand years finding loopholes in them. No wonder he has occasional outbursts of apocalyptic violence. How the hell is an omnipotent and omniscient deity supposed to keep up with the latest developments in electrical switchgear? He's got every atom in the universe to manage. Yahweh has shit to deal with. And he doesn't need some kippah-wearing clever dick playing tricks with circuit breakers and interrupting his all-knowing train of thought.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby NamelessFaceless » Apr 16, 2015 9:56 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
NamelessFaceless wrote:But seriously, can you imagine how many of the world's problems could be solved if the amount of brain power that went into figuring out how to get around these stupid rules were applied elsewhere. It's actually depressing. :roll:

I didn't think brain power was limited in that manner? I was always under the impression that using your brain improved its power, rather than causing it to dwindle :think:.

Ok, well maybe I should have said "time and energy." Just seems like they could be doing something better with their time.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Ironclad » Apr 17, 2015 12:25 am

Star Trek swoosh doors, that's what they need. As do I. And one can already say, Lights, and LO there be light. :smoke:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#24  Postby epepke » Apr 17, 2015 8:10 am

Ironclad wrote:Star Trek swoosh doors, that's what they need. As do I. And one can already say, Lights, and LO there be light. :smoke:

When I told this to my girlfriend, she said, "why don't they just get a clapper?" I guess it's too much work.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby NineBerry » Apr 17, 2015 11:45 am

epepke wrote:
But if someone want's you to flick their light switch for them, you should at least get a tip.

Nope. No money transactions on Sabbath!
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#26  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Apr 18, 2015 10:54 am

Ironclad wrote:Star Trek swoosh doors, that's what they need. As do I. And one can already say, Lights, and LO there be light. :smoke:

The elevator video says that at least some Jews find the idea of an electronic eye or sensor reacting to them and causing something to happen is breaking the no fire rule. Of course the video then goes on to ignore that and just shows them using the elevator that has been set in auto movement mode because of them and does not explain at any point if it has the normal door sensor. So a clapper or any kind of sensor reacting to them would be out of the question it seems.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Clive Durdle » Apr 18, 2015 12:23 pm

it might be good practice, like Sudoku.

Might not a society honed over centuries to get people to think and argue and discuss use precisely these methods?

Maybe everyone should do similar stuff? It should not be difficult to devise experiments about this - it sounds like we have a group who are already doing this.

What is interesting is some groups seem to become institutionalised in playing these games and this causes problems.
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby NineBerry » Apr 18, 2015 2:28 pm

DarthHelmet86 wrote:

The elevator video says that at least some Jews find the idea of an electronic eye or sensor reacting to them and causing something to happen is breaking the no fire rule. Of course the video then goes on to ignore that and just shows them using the elevator that has been set in auto movement mode because of them and does not explain at any point if it has the normal door sensor. So a clapper or any kind of sensor reacting to them would be out of the question it seems.

It's at the end of the video. They have six seconds to enter or leave before the door starts to close and they would trigger the mechanism.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#29  Postby laklak » Apr 18, 2015 3:13 pm

How utterly stupid. "People who live by ancient laws..." So don't live by ancient laws you fucking imbecile.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#30  Postby tolman » Apr 18, 2015 3:24 pm

Surely, they're living by modern loopholes?
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#31  Postby Onyx8 » Apr 18, 2015 3:35 pm

So if they get caught in the door as it closes, does it just close on them anyway? No, it opens again unless they have found a way around the safety mechs, which would put the hotel at liability.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#32  Postby epepke » Apr 19, 2015 12:41 am

NineBerry wrote:
epepke wrote:
But if someone want's you to flick their light switch for them, you should at least get a tip.

Nope. No money transactions on Sabbath!

They will gladly pay on Tuesday for a light switch-on today.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Thorham » Apr 19, 2015 1:08 am

They're not allowed to turn on the lights on their sabbath? Oh lord :roll:
Thorham

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#34  Postby epepke » Apr 19, 2015 2:32 am

Thorham wrote:They're not allowed to turn on the lights on their sabbath? Oh lord :roll:

http://www.e-reading.club/chapter.php/7 ... acter.html
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#35  Postby epepke » Apr 19, 2015 6:05 am

Clive Durdle wrote:

Might not a society honed over centuries to get people to think and argue and discuss use precisely these methods?

Yup. That is, they might.

Maybe everyone should do similar stuff? It should not be difficult to devise experiments about this - it sounds like we have a group who are already doing this.

Yeah.

What is interesting is some groups seem to become institutionalised in playing these games and this causes problems.

Is this a problem? The fact that some Orthodox and/or Hassidic Jews will give some of their money to people who are clever enough to figure out things like this seems to me a good thing. More money for smart people. Less money for idiots.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby Blackadder » Apr 19, 2015 6:37 am

epepke wrote:
Clive Durdle wrote:

Yup. That is, they might.

Yeah.

Is this a problem? The fact that some Orthodox and/or Hassidic Jews will give some of their money to people who are clever enough to figure out things like this seems to me a good thing. More money for smart people. Less money for idiots.

The main thing they appear to have figured out in six thousand years is that God is a Jewish lawyer and not a very good one.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Clive Durdle » Apr 19, 2015 8:39 am

But what if we based our education systems on these methods? I propose the results will be impressive! How many Nobel prizes was it?
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38  Postby epepke » Apr 20, 2015 9:31 am

Clive Durdle wrote:But what if we based our education systems on these methods? I propose the results will be impressive! How many Nobel prizes was it?

Not entirely a silly suggestion. Of course, part of it is the sheer amount of education. Over here, Jews go to school every day, and then they go to Hebrew school later every day.

Really, though. There's a saying that Christians pray while kneeling, Muslims pray while bending over, and Jews pray while shaking their fists in the air. Except amongst Hassidim and more serious Orthodox Jews, יהוה isn't all that well liked. Even amongst those who believe in him, which is far from everybody, there is a recognition that he really can be a bit of an asshole, but what are you going to do? He's family.

I'm an atheist. A lot of my Goyische friends tell me that means I'm not a very good Jew. A lot of my Jewish friends tell me that means I'm a great Jew. There might be something to that.

If I weren't an atheist, and someone asked me if I believed in God, I'd take a page from Don Marquis and reply, "Of course I do not believe in him. If you knew him as well as I do, you would not believe in him either."
Last edited by epepke on Apr 21, 2015 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Varangian » Apr 20, 2015 5:30 pm

Rayman's Raving Rabbis...

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Other Religions & Belief Systems