YEEAAHH!!!! :D

Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Paganism, Taoism etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: YEEAAHH!!!! :D

#21  Postby BlackBart » May 01, 2010 10:20 am

Ironclad wrote:Considering there's a limited number to ascend to heaven.. why don't they keep their secret and up their chances? I would!

There's a quota!?
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Varangian » May 01, 2010 10:24 am

amyonyango wrote:But what are they actually hoping to achieve? I'd be interested to know the stats on JW successful doorstep conversions.

From what ex-JWs here, on RDF and on other sites have said, the missionaries got lucky when visiting someone in some sort of crisis. Preying on the weak, so to speak...

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Alan B » May 01, 2010 11:15 am

BlackBart wrote:
Ironclad wrote:Considering there's a limited number to ascend to heaven.. why don't they keep their secret and up their chances? I would!

There's a quota!?

Oh, yeah. 144,000. Originally it was only men, then as women began to have more say it now includes women. So much for 'God's Word'.
I'm not sure that they still stick to this crap but when I asked a couple of JWs over a year ago if they will be part of the 144,000, they were a bit confused... Perhaps they didn't expect a non-JW to know these things - rather like Mormons special underpants - they don't admit to it because it will make them look stupid.

No chance of that, though, not with 'God's Word' behind them. :crazy:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby BlackBart » May 01, 2010 12:50 pm

Alan B wrote:
BlackBart wrote:

There's a quota!?

Oh, yeah. 144,000. Originally it was only men, then as women began to have more say it now includes women. So much for 'God's Word'.
I'm not sure that they still stick to this crap but when I asked a couple of JWs over a year ago if they will be part of the 144,000, they were a bit confused... Perhaps they didn't expect a non-JW to know these things - rather like Mormons special underpants - they don't admit to it because it will make them look stupid.

No chance of that, though, not with 'God's Word' behind them. :crazy:

So heaven is roughly the size of Peterborough? Who knew? :lol:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby amyonyango » May 01, 2010 2:49 pm

About 6 months ago was the last time I actually had a discourse with them. Their blind faith made me choke on my coffee:

Me: But how do you know the end of the world is coming?
JW: Because the bible tells us.
Me: But how do you know that the bible is true?
JW: Because it is the word of god.
Me: How do you know that the bible is the word of god?
JW: Because it tells us in the bible.
Me: OK....I think one of the babies needs her nappy changing... BYE!
Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.
amyonyango
RS Donator

Name: Amy
Female

England (eng)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Red_Nucleus » May 01, 2010 7:16 pm

We used to live on a farm where we were irritated by JWs regularly - one couple in particular. One night, my Dad gets called out to attend a domestic (he's a cop) and guess who the guilty party is??? As soon as she recognised him, the woman starts trying to proselytise at the top of her voice which only gave my already ticked-off father more reason to get his scary on. No violence ensued, but the man was told by one his academy instructors that he has 'crazy eyes'.....

Needless to say, we didn't recieve any further visits.

My partner's last housemate used to just hang a piece of paper that simply said "FUCK OFF - YOU'RE NOT WELCOME" on the front doorwhenever he got wind that they were coming. I can't wait til they come knocking at the new place. Even if I don't get the chance to use them as my own personal chew toys, I just want to see the reaction to my current housemate - a proud, flag waving (there's one over the fireplace, I kid you not) gay hippy whose henna'd dreads reach his thighs. Much fun to be had.
Non Serviat!

Better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to open your mouth...and quote the bible.
Red_Nucleus

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Jörmungandr » May 03, 2010 1:33 pm

I actually just got my first ever JW's myself, at work! I was all excited and prepared to verbally "duke it out" with them, but unfortunately my opening remark ended the situation. They gave me their blah blah Biblical literature hoodoo, and I simply said, with a smile "I don't believe in fairy tales, sorry". Maybe I should have feigned interest, but then, I am at work. :)
TRIGGER WARNING
Jörmungandr

United States (us)
Print view this post

#28  Postby babel » May 03, 2010 1:55 pm

They visited once. Asked, as mentioned above, how they were going to decide who of JW would be granted access to the blessed afterlife and who wouldn't, as the number of places was limited. It has been 9 years since then and never heard from them. I don't mind, as I value my morning coffee.
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Other Religions & Belief Systems