Criticism of Richard Dawkins

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Criticism of Richard Dawkins

#1  Postby Gawd » Mar 05, 2010 10:50 pm

[1] You don't speak to the "common people" enough.
[2] No, I don't want to speak the Queen's English.
[3] For a militant atheist, you sure have thin skin.
Gawd
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

Re: Criticism of Richard Dawkins

#2  Postby Gurdur » Mar 06, 2010 12:20 am

Gawd wrote:[1] You don't speak to the "common people" enough.

Extremely valid criticism.

In the UK/USA Snobbery Wars, I wish to remain neutral. I see good things on all forms of English, and in other languages.

But here, one serious question please: can you please give links or so on to explain how Dawkins comes over on this particular aspect (Queen's English)? I wish to blog about this, and I have no idea what it is he is doing to make people angry on that aspect.

True, and his thinking first before acting would have saved everyone a hell of a lot of grief, including him.
Gurdur

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby cateye » Mar 06, 2010 12:33 am

Gurdur wrote:here, one serious question please: can you please give links or so on to explain how Dawkins comes over on this particular aspect (Queen's English)? I wish to blog about this, and I have no idea what it is he is doing to make people angry on that aspect.

I think it may have to do with the fact that he speaks it? Dunno, his english always strikes me as very elegant oxford english - that alone might be enough to upset anyone outside of england ;) (and I'm only partially joking here, I really think it has to do with the way he speaks)
Don't belong. Never join. Think for yourself. Peace.

cateye

Male

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Mephistopheles » Mar 06, 2010 12:37 am

Or to the theists enough. Or to the educated enough. In fact, you pretty much have no appeal wherever you go.

I do, but not with your nasal whine. Timbre is more important than accent in determining how much I don't hate you.

And a rubber sword.
Mephistopheles

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby obscured by clouds » Mar 06, 2010 12:45 am

Or to sum it up for those that know the issues...

He is a dick.

Simple. He is a dick, nothing wrong with that in its self and I don't mean that as a personal attack. However I would not give him the time of day and really couldn't care about him as a person but his arguments are valid.

All I am saying is, even if I could, I would not want to drink a beer with him and just to chill. Cause he is a dick and dicks kill my buzz so be off with you. He has shown me that twice with his handling of the Forum. He is not a pleasant person, unless of course you have a few Phd's and speaks Latin with a very nice upper class accent.
OBC world summer tour! LA ~ May 8, Thrasho De Mayo / Saint Vitus ~ West Coast Tour, Seattle, Protland, SF, LA, San Diego, Las Vegas June 25 - July 1 / July 4th weekend LA / Scotland, Oct? / Come and say hi if you live near! (more TBA)
obscured by clouds

Name: Mr. Obscured By Clouds

Print view this post

#6  Postby MoonLit » Mar 06, 2010 1:18 am

:cheers:

I'll still buy his books, because I do enjoy them. I'm just not really that into the man himself anymore. :(
Image Image Image Image
Click the eggs please!
MoonLit
RS Donator

Name: Andi
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 06, 2010 1:33 am

He's out of touch... at least when it comes to recognizing that minds making up an online community are no different (in spirit) than people at a cafe or any other meeting places. I just don't get how he can't see the importance open (but moderated) forums has on any movement.
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Gawd » Mar 06, 2010 6:27 am

Gurdur wrote:

In the UK/USA Snobbery Wars, I wish to remain neutral. I see good things on all forms of English, and in other languages.

But here, one serious question please: can you please give links or so on to explain how Dawkins comes over on this particular aspect (Queen's English)? I wish to blog about this, and I have no idea what it is he is doing to make people angry on that aspect.

Dawkins comes over as a snob because:
[1] He speaks with a hooty-tooty upper class accent.
[2] He never wears "simple clothing" like jeans and a t-shirt. Seriously, check out the images of Dawkins in Google: http://images.google.ca/images?um=1&hl= ... q=&start=0
[3] Dawkins always wears a suit or an Oxford boy type sweater.
[4] He doesn't show much emotion other than his "Outrage".
[5] I've never heard or read Dawkins swear.
Gawd
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby Har » Mar 06, 2010 6:40 am

I've never heard or read Dawkins swear.

Does this count? :coffee:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOyP44Xu5FA[/youtube]
Har

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Gawd » Mar 06, 2010 7:52 am

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle! I finally hear Dawkins say a swear word. But, it doesn't bode well for Dawkins' snotty quotient when people find it noteworthy to make a video of him saying "fuck off" as if that is so out of character for Dawkins'. Where was this Dawkins in "Outrage"?
Gawd
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby arabella trefoil » Mar 06, 2010 12:39 pm

I don't have any issues with Dawkins. He is a product of his background and education. Dawkins' background (including the accent and his upper class Britishness) is actually an asset when he takes on Amurrican creationists. It's hard for me to explain what I mean, but he can get away with stuff no American can. Americans like to think we are a classless society. This is not really so.

On the subject of the internet, there I believe Dawkins has issues. I don't think he has any understanding of internet communities, blogs, etc. He probably looks at his "forum" from a skewed academic point of view. I'm betting he relies on his techies to help him make decisions. This, as we know, is missing the point. The techinical aspects of running a blog are quite separate from the underlying understanding of what on on- line community is, how it functions, and why it's important.

Dawkins may understand the butterfly pinned to the board, the bird in the dissecting tray, but he doesn't see them fly. This "internet blindness" is not uncommon in people of his background. He is limited to seeing the internet as a way to send out top-down information. He thinks of it as a form of newspaper. Comments should be like letters to the editor, reviewed and approved. Believe it or not, many newspapers in the United States had problems understanding what it means to be part of the internet community. The New York Times (which is losing money fast) caught on far too late.

As long as Dawkins has his loyal band of techies advising him and cocooning him, he'll never get it. The yeast, the ferment of online communities is messy and uncontrollable. Kind of like the way the earth was when life originated. Fortunately for the spread of ideas, the internet is a big place. We will have to form our own warm pools, or if you like underwater vents to keep the movement evolving.

I almost feel sorry for Dawkins. He's going to become a coelacanth.
arabella trefoil

Female

Print view this post

#12  Postby Moonwatcher » Mar 06, 2010 3:32 pm

obscured by clouds wrote:

Or to sum it up for those that know the issues...

He is a dick.

Outside of the current dispute over the forums, my only issue is that, while I personally rather enjoy seeing him bash religion again and again and again and again, his caustic approach simply isn't going to change anybody's mind. If anything, his approach will likely just make someone even more stubbornly adhere to what they already believe. He's basically preaching to the already converted. Again, I say that as someone who enjoys his bashing style and yet, on a practical level. think it changes hardly anyone's mind.
We're holograms projected by a scientist riding on the back of an elephant in a garden imagined by a goose in a snow globe on the mantel of a fireplace imagined in a book in the dreams of a child sleeping in his mother's lap.
Moonwatcher

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby Berthold » Mar 06, 2010 3:41 pm

cateye wrote:Dunno, his english always strikes me as very elegant oxford english - that alone might be enough to upset anyone outside of england ;) (and I'm only partially joking here, I really think it has to do with the way he speaks)

You mean the fact that one can actually understand every word when he lectures? Personally, I don't mind that (and surely I'm from outside of England :grin: ).
Berthold

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#14  Postby cateye » Mar 06, 2010 3:45 pm

Berthold wrote:
cateye wrote:Dunno, his english always strikes me as very elegant oxford english - that alone might be enough to upset anyone outside of england ;) (and I'm only partially joking here, I really think it has to do with the way he speaks)

You mean the fact that one can actually understand every word when he lectures? Personally, I don't mind that (and surely I'm from outside of England :grin: ).

Yes, but you're from austria. People from scotland or ireland might have a different take on that ;) Also, imagine the uproar in Austria if the chancelor would speak with a very articulate Berlinian accent :naughty2:

cateye

Male

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Emmeline » Mar 06, 2010 3:46 pm

I have to speak as I find and I found him to be a kind person. He sent me several supportive messages when I was an admin and also phoned me at home to offer support to me through something very difficult. That's why I believe his apology is sincere and I continue to wish him and the Foundation well.
Emmeline

Print view this post

#16  Postby Imp » Mar 06, 2010 3:48 pm

Moonwatcher wrote:Outside of the current dispute over the forums, my only issue is that, while I personally rather enjoy seeing him bash religion again and again and again and again, his caustic approach simply isn't going to change anybody's mind. If anything, his approach will likely just make someone even more stubbornly adhere to what they already believe. He's basically preaching to the already converted. Again, I say that as someone who enjoys his bashing style and yet, on a practical level. think it changes hardly anyone's mind.

Really? Ever visited the Converts' Corner on his website?
Even creationism evolves - Mr P (Grizby)
:offtopic:

THWOTH wrote:Devil spawn kitty killer! :mad:
Imp
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Berthold » Mar 06, 2010 3:57 pm

cateye wrote:Also, imagine the uproar in Austria if the chancelor would speak with a very articulate Berlinian accent :naughty2:

Yeah; I suppose in your place they might drown him in stale beer. :grin:
Berthold

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#18  Postby cateye » Mar 06, 2010 4:00 pm

Berthold wrote:
cateye wrote:Also, imagine the uproar in Austria if the chancelor would speak with a very articulate Berlinian accent :naughty2:

Yeah; I suppose in your place they might drown him in stale beer. :grin:

But... we don't have a chancelor, we're not even part of Germany! :tongue:

cateye

Male

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Berthold » Mar 06, 2010 4:15 pm

I meant, analogously, of course, the prime minister. :)
Berthold

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#20  Postby SpiritualNotReligius » Mar 06, 2010 4:17 pm

Imp wrote:
Moonwatcher wrote:Outside of the current dispute over the forums, my only issue is that, while I personally rather enjoy seeing him bash religion again and again and again and again, his caustic approach simply isn't going to change anybody's mind. If anything, his approach will likely just make someone even more stubbornly adhere to what they already believe. He's basically preaching to the already converted. Again, I say that as someone who enjoys his bashing style and yet, on a practical level. think it changes hardly anyone's mind.

Really? Ever visited the Converts' Corner on his website?

I just did and Imp is right, it is the "already converted". Note where they all discuss how they thought thus and such. One says his book but even more so Harris and Hitchens helped make the final decision.

The devout person will definitely not get anything from his caustic approach as Imp said.

I've long held that we make heroes and saints too easily out of others when it is really ourselves who we should be thanking. I was the one who was looking for answers, looking for truth years ago. The books that I read after that just filled in the cracks.

The same is true for those who convert to religions. They are looking already and some people's books, or words are the catalyst maybe but not the reason.
SpiritualNotReligius

Print view this post

Next

Return to General Discussion