6-year old beauty queen retires

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

6-year old beauty queen retires

#1  Postby TMB » Jul 23, 2011 4:14 am

This clip looks at the most successful toddler pageant queen, who is retiring and setting her sights on something bigger. What combination of parent and child behavior is required to devlop this kind of profile and ambition to make themselves in this image. Should kids be subject to their parents ambitions in this way, given that kids have not been allowed to evolve a balanced view of life and parents who do this can be likened to those who overfeed their kids on junk food and sweets. The US has more than their fair share of kids whose parents have provided no parameters to their kids eating habits, just as the parents of this pageant queen are allowing the pursuit of the superficial to become a vehicle to this kids stardom, and by proxy theirs. It will be interesting to fast forward and se where this mon and daughter combination end up.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/year-beauty-qu ... d=14058438
TMB

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: 6-year old beauty queen retires

#2  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 28, 2011 3:02 am

Nauseating.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby bdcarlitosway » Jul 28, 2011 4:33 am

Spearthrower wrote:Nauseating.

+1
Life becomes much easier when you master the skill of farting silently
bdcarlitosway

Male

Guatemala (gt)
Print view this post

#4  Postby laklak » Jul 28, 2011 4:36 am

Jesus, she looks like the bastard love child of Miss Piggy and Tammy Faye Baker.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#5  Postby tolman » Aug 26, 2011 10:20 am

TMB wrote:What combination of parent and child behavior is required to devlop this kind of profile and ambition to make themselves in this image.

Leaving the parents to one side for a moment, I can't help wondering if there are many adults other than pushy parents involved in the juvenile beauty queen scene.

If so, would they be less creepy than the parents, or more creepy?
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#6  Postby Paul G » Aug 26, 2011 10:22 am

Money grabbing, so maybe slightly less creepy.
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Animavore » Aug 26, 2011 10:57 am

I don't even think she's particularly pretty. I hope she's prepared for a hard downfall.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Scarlett » Aug 26, 2011 11:09 am

"Shaking my booty!", her mother needs a kick on the booty!

I've watched the Toddlers and Tiaras programme a couple of times, out of some morbid curiosity. It's grotesque, these tiny little girls plastered in make-up, shaking their little bums for the grown ups. Some of the little girls are absolutely gorgeous, some aren't the bonniest wee things at all but they all look exactly the same once all the slap goes on. And the parents are nightmares, they actually hot-house those kids into performing like little monkeys. The frustration they show when the child doesn't perform too well is very obvious, and it's very obvious that it upsets the child.

To bring up a girl to be judged on her looks at such a young age must be quite damaging. As Ani said, this wee one isn't a particularly pretty child. She may well not grow to be the most attractive little person on the planet, which is okay until her mummy places such a high value on looking cute and gorgeous.
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby james1v » Aug 26, 2011 11:17 am

These kids should be out playing with their friends. Its bonkers. :scratch:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Aug 26, 2011 11:23 am

What sort of person decides to take up the job of rating 6 year old girls?
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Animavore » Aug 26, 2011 11:29 am

Ihavenofingerprints wrote:What sort of person decides to take up the job of rating 6 year old girls?

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#12  Postby igorfrankensteen » Sep 09, 2011 11:22 am

For the sake of having this be more than a simple, standard bashing of all things "child beauty pageant," I want to point out that there ARE children who literally spring from the womb desirous of doing what ever it takes to have the worlds attention focused on themselves. It's actually illustrative of what human nature is really all about, in that respect.

Now, there IS no way for an onlooker to easily tell the difference between the children who are victims of egotistical parents, and those who are themselves caught up in the drive to be the center of attention, and it's harder still to know within the latter group, which ones are DIRECTLY interested in what they are doing, and the ones who are just copying stuff they've seen on TV, or mimicking mom (or dad).

I suspect that child beauty pageants got started from the CHILDREN wanting to do them originally, as part of living out a fantasy, just as male kids often form "armies" and go to "war," or form "teams' and duke it out on the playing fields. The parents cater to the kids as part of helping them develop skills to use later in life.

And don't think that child beauty contestants gain NOTHING from doing what they do, even if they never win anything directly from it. The socialization skills, and the recognition of the connection between work and practice and accomplishment are HUGE good things that these people can take away with them. As with all childhood endeavors, there are some who are actually hurt by the process, but that by itself doesn't mean that the whole enterprise is bad or wrong, any more than the fact that team sports can permanently screw up some children's psyche, makes THAT developmental program a bad thing.

Finally, I take issue with the (I think hypocritical) people who posted here, cutting on this child for not being attractive enough. They should take a good long look in a philosophical mirror, and wake up to the fact that THEY are choosing to take the PURELY HARMFUL side, in SUPPORT of the beauty-pageant nonsense they are pretending to criticize.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby The_Metatron » Sep 09, 2011 11:46 am

igorfrankensteen wrote:For the sake of having this be more than a simple, standard bashing of all things "child beauty pageant," I want to point out that there ARE children who literally spring from the womb desirous of doing what ever it takes to have the worlds attention focused on themselves. It's actually illustrative of what human nature is really all about, in that respect.

Who cares if there are such children? Does that somehow make that superficial behavior desirable? There ARE children who would happily eat nothing but chips (French fried potatoes), too. That doesn't mean we need to let them, nay, encourage them to do so.
igorfrankensteen wrote: Now, there IS no way for an onlooker to easily tell the difference between the children who are victims of egotistical parents, and those who are themselves caught up in the drive to be the center of attention, and it's harder still to know within the latter group, which ones are DIRECTLY interested in what they are doing, and the ones who are just copying stuff they've seen on TV, or mimicking mom (or dad).

I suspect that child beauty pageants got started from the CHILDREN wanting to do them originally, as part of living out a fantasy, just as male kids often form "armies" and go to "war," or form "teams' and duke it out on the playing fields. The parents cater to the kids as part of helping them develop skills to use later in life.

You suspicions are wrong. Child beauty pageants started as a tourism marketing gimmick.
igorfrankensteen wrote: And don't think that child beauty contestants gain NOTHING from doing what they do, even if they never win anything directly from it. The socialization skills, and the recognition of the connection between work and practice and accomplishment are HUGE good things that these people can take away with them. As with all childhood endeavors, there are some who are actually hurt by the process, but that by itself doesn't mean that the whole enterprise is bad or wrong, any more than the fact that team sports can permanently screw up some children's psyche, makes THAT developmental program a bad thing.

Finally, I take issue with the (I think hypocritical) people who posted here, cutting on this child for not being attractive enough. They should take a good long look in a philosophical mirror, and wake up to the fact that THEY are choosing to take the PURELY HARMFUL side, in SUPPORT of the beauty-pageant nonsense they are pretending to criticize.

Bullshit. That is not a beautiful kid.

Fucking beauty pageants. Celebrated boobery on multiple levels.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Scarlett » Sep 09, 2011 12:18 pm

igorfrankensteen wrote:

You can take issue as much as you like, but the parents of this child have made attractiveness an extremely important quality in this child's life, therefore if the child turns out to be less than attractive she'll suffer the consequences of this. How do you think it will feel for a young girl to grow up, being judged as long as she can remember by how fucking cute she is, when in fact as she grows she becomes less than cute. Some very cute children grow up to have enormous noses, bad acne, their whole face shapes change, they may become obese or overweight.

Now, none of this SHOULD matter, ideally a child will grow up to have inner beauty, and not give a shit what people look like. None of it does matter unless you want a life as a model, or beauty queen, or Hollywood glamour girl.

This girl? She's potentially going to have all sorts of issues. Like it or not she's not a particularly attractive child, ok the make-up, fake tan, eyelashes and wigs make her look exactly like the other little girls in the pageant but remove all that and she's an average, slightly overweight little girl. That's not enough.
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Varangian » Sep 09, 2011 12:37 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oabGaaCLZ5g[/youtube]

This movie, which is on the subject of beauty pageants for kids (among other things) is pure win. The trailer doesn't contain any spoilers.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Teague » Sep 09, 2011 4:10 pm

only closet pedophiles watch this kind of thing. Disgusting.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby lordshipmayhem » Sep 09, 2011 6:11 pm

Please please PLEASE tell me that the "bigger and better" thing she's going for is a degree in astrophysics or something, instead of more entertainment/beauty pageant shit. :nono:
"It is not science that is arrogant: science can be defined as ‘humility before the facts’ — it is those who refuse to submit to testing and make unsubstantiated claims that are arrogant. Arrogant and unjust." - Stephen Fry
lordshipmayhem

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby TMB » Sep 10, 2011 5:34 am

Igorfrankensteen, you said,

For the sake of having this be more than a simple, standard bashing of all things "child beauty pageant," I want to point out that there ARE children who literally spring from the womb desirous of doing what ever it takes to have the worlds attention focused on themselves. It's actually illustrative of what human nature is really all about, in that respect.

All children spring out of the womb utterly selfish, only interested in their own survival and needs. As they mature, they realise that overt selfishness comes at a price as competition with others produces winners and losers. Parents have choices about either nurturing selfish behaviour to produce adults that are takers in all their relationships, and give very little back to their family of society. Or they can teach them some sense of social responsibility, recognising that individuals also have needs, but need to accept some give and take with others. The parents of children like this are chenneling them in ways that I consider counter productive to society. I also consider it counter productive to teach you children to be lazy, and expect a welfare state to support them while they don’t work. Vanity to this degree on a child of 4 is child abuse, just as it would be if you let them endlessly eat sweets or smoke cigarettes, or watch TV 12 hours a day. Parents are expected to have better judgement than a 4 year old child, but it seems in some cases, they don’t. Why are you excusing this behaviour?

Now, there IS no way for an onlooker to easily tell the difference between the children who are victims of egotistical parents, and those who are themselves caught up in the drive to be the center of attention, and it's harder still to know within the latter group, which ones are DIRECTLY interested in what they are doing, and the ones who are just copying stuff they've seen on TV, or mimicking mom (or dad).

All living things will behave in any way that serves their selfish interests, and while there are differences in talents and ambition, parents should be capable of channelling these in more positive ways, in the interests of the children and society.

We have societies of cannibals, head hunters, cosmetic junkies. Trust me adults did not foster the opportunity for these kids they could equally be doing charity work in an Aids community, practicing a sport or academics with dedication. Anyone who thinks a 4 year old dreamed this all up by themselves has a mind equivalent to a 4-year old.

And don't think that child beauty contestants gain NOTHING from doing what they do, even if they never win anything directly from it. The socialization skills, and the recognition of the connection between work and practice and accomplishment are HUGE good things that these people can take away with them.

What about the actual content of the behaviour. I could make the same argument for kids that grow up selling and doing drugs, as they learn how to manipulate, working hard in crime and related anti social behaviour can also pay dividends. There are many crime bosses who fit this profile well, hard work bring rewards even for bank robbers, drug dealers and murderers. No-one question that these beauty pageants do not teach kids how to use cosmetic appearance to manipulate others (as their parents also do, or who work hard painting their nail, shaving their 4 year old legs, dyeing their hair, all this is certainly hard work. Learning to walk on high heels is a real skill. The question I ask. Are they useful skills for the child and society? Should parents be choosing things to do at 4 years old usually reserved for teenagers?

As with all childhood endeavors, there are some who are actually hurt by the process, but that by itself doesn't mean that the whole enterprise is bad or wrong, any more than the fact that team sports can permanently screw up some children's psyche, makes THAT developmental program a bad thing.

Any team exercise is designed with the groups interests in mid, just as its possible for individuals to compete and benefit. This would apply to children attending school. There is a high degree of indoctrination in academic skills, because society wants to produce compliant, law abiding and productive citizens. Likewise with sport, but this also gives them some physical outlets, allows competition, and also produces winners and losers. The process of physical looks and sexuality to measure social success will be happening to them as teenagers, why begin it at the age of 4.? Do we really want a 4 year old to be judged by their artificial boobs and bum, and makeup. At the very least, judge them for what they truly have, rather than their false accessories. The mechanism of false accessories causes enough issues for teen and adult women as it is, why create these dependencies at age 4?

We do get judged on our looks, and like it or not, looks are a critical part of our social success and status, especially for women. If anyone enters a beauty pageant they are asking to be judged officially, and un officially on their looks. These pageants are designed to see how good a kid looks, just as are adult beauty pageants. If they do not want to be judged on their looks, then don’t enter competitions designed to judge them on their looks. If you don’t have the innate physical beauty, but rely upon artificial breasts, bottoms, hair, eyelashes, lip color, skin texture and color, then you are creating a prison for yourself. And when people look behind these and see you for what you truly are, then the little princesses will have to toughen up. Sadly these comments should be directed to the parents, children of this age are in no position to make considered judgements, and while their parents don’t appear to be capable either, they should still be held responsible.

Adult women and teenagers already have issues with the artificial props of cosmetics and clothes to present themselves differently to the way they truly look, should we not at least give a 4 or 6 year old kid a few more years of freedom?
TMB

Print view this post

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities