A Brief History of Anger: The Gathering Storm

Seeking to understand the divide between science and religion

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

A Brief History of Anger: The Gathering Storm

#1  Postby RageaholicsAnonymous » Sep 27, 2013 6:22 am

This is my new blog dedicated to combating anger and hatred with peace, love and understanding. This article discusses the lingering effects of history's hardest learned lessons. Seeking to explain the divide between science and religion, it delves into the history of modern Europe and the projection of anger onto the supernatural.

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Link removed by staff as an antispam measure. It is permissable to link to blogs in the signature line. kiore
RageaholicsAnonymous

Name: Jason Molnar

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: A Brief History of Anger: The Gathering Storm

#2  Postby MrFungus420 » Sep 29, 2013 4:59 am

The divide between science and religion is easy to explain.

Science is about reality, religion is about fantasy.
Atheism alone is no more a religion than health is a disease. One may as well argue over which brand of car pedestrians drive.
- AronRa
MrFungus420

Print view this post

#3  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 29, 2013 9:23 am

Why do I get the feeling this is yet another attempt at the 'Why are you angry with god" canard?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby chairman bill » Sep 29, 2013 10:19 am

I'm angry with fuckwits telling me I'm angry at god
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby kennyc » Sep 29, 2013 10:38 am

What they said.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby hackenslash » Sep 29, 2013 11:45 am

I can't find that much to argue with, TBH. It's a bit accomodationist, which is my only possible grounds for gripe, but the general message is reasonable enough.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Greyman » Sep 29, 2013 12:39 pm

hackenslash wrote:I can't find that much to argue with, TBH. It's a bit accomodationist, which is my only possible grounds for gripe, but the general message is reasonable enough.
It is a bit hard to find the message though. The blog post just rambles on from point to point without clear direction. It's just streaming thought presented in a great wall of text.

It really could benefit from being broken down properly into paragraphs; for a start. Points need to be made pointedly; and not be lost in the forest. A little organisation goes a long way towards clarity.
"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit." - T. Tick.
Greyman

Name: Graham

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby hackenslash » Sep 29, 2013 12:50 pm

True enough.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby kennyc » Sep 29, 2013 12:57 pm

I think the message is sort of "why can't we all get along?"

I have no issue with 'peace' and trying to get along, but I do have an issue with (religious) beliefs flying in the face of no evidence to support them. That in itself is disruptive to rational skeptical scientific inquiry. This places them in conflict regardless of the desire for peace.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby HomerJay » Sep 29, 2013 3:51 pm

Furthermore, working in an Emergency Department for the last four years has also given insight into the disconnection between spirituality and science. It is my humble opinion that both are equally lacking the strengths of the other.

This is just completely daft.

What spiritual comforts could we reasonably expect from a tool to discover facts about the world?

This isn't a disconnect, it's someone projecting their wish (dressed up as spirituality) upon science, to provide them with a security blanket.
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Calilasseia » Oct 02, 2013 7:27 pm

To the OP: I'll tell you why there's a divide between science and religion, in far less space.

Religion erects assertions purporting to dictate how reality behaves, regardless of whether or not reality agrees with this, including dictating what we should observe. Science performs the relevant observations, and demonstrates that the observational data falisfies several of the assertions erected by religion. Because supernaturalists don't like having their pet mythologies demonstrated to be wrong, they react by trying to hand-wave away any science that doesn't genuflect before their pet mythologies, particularly when that science renders their pet magic entities superfluous to requirements and irrelevant.

You can also throw in to the mix, a gigantic case of intellectual penis envy on the part of supernaturalists, because science has not only documented the existence of entities and phenomena, that the authors of the pet mythologies of supernaturalists were incapable of even fantasising about, but has placed those entities and phenomena within precise, usefully predictive quantitative frameworks, of a sort that mythology cannot even hope to dream of matching.

In short, the divide between religion and science consists of "science works, mythology doesn't", followed by supernaturalists throwing a strop over this.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities