A true feminist must support Abortion and Vice.

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: A true feminist must support Abortion and Vice.

#41  Postby McNulty » Jan 03, 2014 3:14 am

hackenslash wrote:
Yes, freedom of choice is a great thing.

It certainly is, although how many of these women have been given any REAL choice?

Assuming they are not forced then they still have a choice.

Either hooking or a min wage job or welfare - see, that's a choice.

What is so wrong with that?
McNulty
Banned Sockpuppet

Zimbabwe (zw)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby McNulty » Jan 03, 2014 3:18 am

THWOTH wrote:
McNulty wrote:F
For me the questions revolve around the notion of personal ownership. Do we have a right to own our own bodies and to do with them what we wish? I would affirm that we do, ...........

When it comes to sex-work, I can see no reason why it cannot comprise a kind of mutual contract entered into freely for the benefit of the parties concerned, essentially no different than purchasing any other goods or services. That the goods in question is the time of the sex-worker, and that the services are sexual, does not seem particular contentious, as long as remains a mutual exchange entered into freely by autonomous individuals.

Thanks for the long and interesting post. :)
McNulty
Banned Sockpuppet

Zimbabwe (zw)
Print view this post

#43  Postby MrFungus420 » Jan 06, 2014 10:02 am

Pebble wrote:
scott1328 wrote:

True, but how many MacDonald's and Wal-Mart workers are there by choice?

I think most would differentiate selling your 'labour' for demeaning wages from selling your 'body' for the same. Doesn't make the former right.

How do you differentiate selling your "labour" from selling your "body"?

It's my body that is doing the labour.

The only difference that I can see is that sex is automatically disqualified from being considered "labour".
Atheism alone is no more a religion than health is a disease. One may as well argue over which brand of car pedestrians drive.
- AronRa
MrFungus420

Print view this post

#44  Postby Pebble » Jan 06, 2014 8:27 pm

MrFungus420 wrote:
Pebble wrote:
scott1328 wrote:

True, but how many MacDonald's and Wal-Mart workers are there by choice?

I think most would differentiate selling your 'labour' for demeaning wages from selling your 'body' for the same. Doesn't make the former right.

How do you differentiate selling your "labour" from selling your "body"?

It's my body that is doing the labour.

The only difference that I can see is that sex is automatically disqualified from being considered "labour".

Technically you are right, but as I wrote, I think 'most people' would differentiate.
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#45  Postby colubridae » Jan 06, 2014 9:22 pm

laklak wrote:Hooker or Loving "age ain't nothing but a number" Wife?

Where did you get that photo of me and my wife (number 7)?
"You can fuck the fuck off, you fucking fucker" - L. Salander
colubridae

Print view this post

#46  Postby OlivierK » Jan 06, 2014 10:04 pm

McNulty wrote:For reasons of consistency, it is my view that a feminist must support Abortion and full legalisation of female to male sex work.

This is because the choice must remain with the woman. To me, this seems perfectly correct, however many feminists disagree with the second point.

How can that be?

Support for legalisation of sex work is high amongst feminists in my experience :dunno:

Of course there are potential harms in sex work, but it is those harms that should be specifically legislated for. Some argue that this is not possible, or effective, and that a blanket prohibition on sex work is appropriate in the same way that there is a blanket prohibition on driving at 200kmh in most countries, despite the ability of many drivers to do so safely. It's not a view I agree with, but I can respect it if it's honestly argued.

The experience of countries, such as my own, that have decriminalised prostitution, is that various associated harms are reduced, in particular by weakening the link between sex work and organised crime. Decriminalisation of sex work is not a panacea that removes all harms, but it seems to be a rational starting point for harm reduction. There are very few people in Australia campaigning for sex work to be recriminalised. Most people I've discussed this with are sexual health workers, and they think legalisation of sex work has been a hugely positive thing for the women and men who work in the industry.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#47  Postby proudfootz » Jan 14, 2014 2:27 am

True feminists must ignore what non-feminists assert they must do or think.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities