Conspiracy theories: A social psychological study

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Conspiracy theories: A social psychological study

#1  Postby the_5th_ape » Oct 08, 2014 2:39 pm

Recent studies by psychologists and social scientists in the US and UK suggest that contrary to mainstream media stereotypes, those labeled “conspiracy theorists” appear to be saner than those who accept the official versions of contested events.

More
Thanking God for sparing you in a natural disaster is like
sending a thank-you note to a serial killer for stabbing the family next door

Question: If you could live forever, would you and why? Best Answer
the_5th_ape

Male

Print view this post

Re: Conspiracy theories: A social psychological study

#2  Postby Zwaarddijk » Oct 08, 2014 6:08 pm

Sounds like a lot of bullshit. One major part of the problem is actually that reasonable people have realized there's no way of convincing people whose minds are set, so it's better to just shut up in the face of conspiracy loons.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#3  Postby UltimoReducto » Mar 16, 2018 8:08 pm

Zwaarddijk wrote:Sounds like a lot of bullshit. One major part of the problem is actually that reasonable people have realized there's no way of convincing people whose minds are set, so it's better to just shut up in the face of conspiracy loons.

You’re not willing to engage, and they’re the ones with their minds made up?
UltimoReducto

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Zwaarddijk » Oct 25, 2018 12:36 pm

UltimoReducto wrote:
Zwaarddijk wrote:Sounds like a lot of bullshit. One major part of the problem is actually that reasonable people have realized there's no way of convincing people whose minds are set, so it's better to just shut up in the face of conspiracy loons.

You’re not willing to engage, and they’re the ones with their minds made up?

Oh, I have engaged. And in return, I've been accused of fabricating academic credentials when I did not even claim any academic credentials. I've been accused of lying about who I am, I've been accused of misquoting sources, I've been accused of being a sociopath and misogynist.

Sorry, but I think you should just s.t.f.u. until you know what you're talking about.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Hermit » Oct 25, 2018 2:25 pm

Recent studies by psychologists and social scientists in the US and UK suggest that contrary to mainstream media stereotypes, those labeled “conspiracy theorists” appear to be saner than those who accept the official versions of contested events.

Chemtrails, anyone? The illuminati? Freemasons? Fluoridated water? Jews? Shape-shifting lizards rule the earth? ...

The author's possible definition of sanity might make him regard Galaxian as one of the sanest people. That's my guess anyway.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Thommo » Oct 25, 2018 4:35 pm

Hermit wrote:The author's possible definition of sanity might make him regard Galaxian as one of the sanest people. That's my guess anyway.

The author is a conspiracy theorist who writes for a conspiracy theory website. And their definition of "sanity" was that they were among the majority of commenters under certain selected articles on the internet, relating to topics such as 9/11.

Galaxian's posts here thus would not qualify.
Thommo

Print view this post

#7  Postby Hermit » Oct 25, 2018 6:30 pm

Thommo wrote:The author is a conspiracy theorist who writes for a conspiracy theory website.

That was pretty bloody obvious from the very start, what with the scare quotes bracketing 'conspiracy theorists' in the title and the caption to the photo right underneath it, which reads: "Is this building falling or exploding? If you say "falling" you need to take your meds". I expect the author to be an active member of the 'Above Top Secret' forum and a fan of David Icke. If he's old enough he'll probably have a copy of that convicted fraud von Däniken's Chariots of the Gods on his bookshelf.

In my experience conspiracy theorists usually believe in entire clusters of garbage. One of several I met was an occasional offsider of mine. On our way to some delivery he pointed up at the sky and said: "Chemtrails". I laughed, and not quite sure if he was serious, I searched for the most ridiculous thing I could think of to quiz him about. "I suppose you believe in mermaids too." "Yes", he replied excitedly. "Some Japanese fishermen caught one. And they ate her!" Mockingly, I told him to lay off the fluoridated toothpaste. He then tried to lecture me on its evils. "Better not enquire what he thinks of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion", I thought to myself, and distracted him by asking him when he'll get his broken down car going again.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#8  Postby jamest » Oct 26, 2018 1:23 am

Since a conspiracy theory amounts to the idea that the establishment is somehow pulling the wool over your eyes to whatever extent, I'm left wondering what I would consider isn't a conspiracy theory. I mean, every establishment that ever existed has secrets and agendas, including the one that rules what happens here within this forum.

The bottom-line is that anyone who willy-nilly accepts the establishment line about any event, deserves to be called a daft cunt.

This is not to say that aliens and/or human-lizards live amongst us, but anyone with a modicum of intelligence and justified distrust of any establishment, should always be willing to question the 'official' version of whichever news-event that they hear.

Have you seen how corrupt and/or biased people and establishments can be? Not least their heads. Donald Trump, enough said.

The only 'big' conspiracy theory I ever bought into was about JFK. I'm still not convinced that LHO was the lone-nut that did it. Not
that it's that important anyway, other than to establish how fucked-up our attitudes and sources of data are.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Hermit » Oct 26, 2018 4:24 am

jamest wrote:Since a conspiracy theory amounts to the idea that the establishment is somehow pulling the wool over your eyes to whatever extent, I'm left wondering what I would consider isn't a conspiracy theory.

Most of the pulling of wool over people's eyes is done in the open. There is no need to be secretive about that. To exploit the vast majority of the people for the benefit of the few, all you have to do is to convince the masses that supply-side/trickle down economics are good for the masses, free will exists, individual rights are unalienable and rightfully reign supreme and shit like that. Historically, religious institutions have been important collaborators.

Secret, conspiratorial machinations are unnecessary. The scam works well enough without the addition of outright conspiracies, though they do sometimes occur to help things along. See the underhanded activities by the fossil fuel industry in relation to anthropogenic global warming.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities