Cracking the brain code

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Cracking the brain code

#1  Postby Macdoc » Aug 19, 2014 1:48 pm

This should be a sticky since the philowibble crowd can't seem to grasp the idea

NEUROHACKS| 18 August 2014
How to speak the language of thought

We are now beginning to crack the brain’s code, which allows us to answer such bizarre questions as “what is the speed of thought?”

When he was asked, as a joke, to explain how the mind works in five words, cognitive scientist Steven Pinker didn't hesitate. "Brain cells fire in patterns", he replied. It's a good effort, but all it really does is replace one enigma with another mystery.

It’s long been known that brain cells communicate by firing electrical signals to each other, and we now have myriad technologies for recording their patterns of activity – from electrodes in the brain or on the scalp, to functional magnetic resonance scanners that can detect changes in blood oxygenation. But, having gathered these data, the meaning of these patterns is still an enduring mystery. They seem to dance to a tune we can't hear, led by rules we don't know.

Neuroscientists speak of the neural code, and have made some progress in cracking that code. They are figuring out some basic rules, such as when cells in specific parts of the brain are likely to light up depending on the task at hand. Progress has been slow, but in the last decade various research teams around the world have been pursuing a far more ambitious project. We may never be able to see the complete code book, they realised, but by trying to write our own entries, we can begin to pick apart the ways that different patterns correspond to different actions.

Albert Lee and Matthew Wilson, at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) first helped to set out the principles in 2002. It progresses like this. First, we record from the brain of a rat – one of our closer relatives, in the grand tree of life – as it runs a maze. Studying the whole brain would be too ambitious, so we can focus our recording on an area known as the hippocampus, known to be important for navigation and memory. If you've heard of this area before it is probably because of a famous result which showed that London taxi drivers developed larger hippocampi the longer they had spent navigating the streets of England's sprawling capital.

more
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2014081 ... ughts-form
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Cracking the brain code

#2  Postby kennyc » Aug 19, 2014 4:19 pm

Macdoc wrote:This should be a sticky since the philowibble crowd can't seem to grasp the idea

NEUROHACKS| 18 August 2014
How to speak the language of thought

We are now beginning to crack the brain’s code, which allows us to answer such bizarre questions as “what is the speed of thought?”

When he was asked, as a joke, to explain how the mind works in five words, cognitive scientist Steven Pinker didn't hesitate. "Brain cells fire in patterns", he replied. It's a good effort, but all it really does is replace one enigma with another mystery.

It’s long been known that brain cells communicate by firing electrical signals to each other, and we now have myriad technologies for recording their patterns of activity – from electrodes in the brain or on the scalp, to functional magnetic resonance scanners that can detect changes in blood oxygenation. But, having gathered these data, the meaning of these patterns is still an enduring mystery. They seem to dance to a tune we can't hear, led by rules we don't know.

Neuroscientists speak of the neural code, and have made some progress in cracking that code. They are figuring out some basic rules, such as when cells in specific parts of the brain are likely to light up depending on the task at hand. Progress has been slow, but in the last decade various research teams around the world have been pursuing a far more ambitious project. We may never be able to see the complete code book, they realised, but by trying to write our own entries, we can begin to pick apart the ways that different patterns correspond to different actions.

Albert Lee and Matthew Wilson, at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) first helped to set out the principles in 2002. It progresses like this. First, we record from the brain of a rat – one of our closer relatives, in the grand tree of life – as it runs a maze. Studying the whole brain would be too ambitious, so we can focus our recording on an area known as the hippocampus, known to be important for navigation and memory. If you've heard of this area before it is probably because of a famous result which showed that London taxi drivers developed larger hippocampi the longer they had spent navigating the streets of England's sprawling capital.

more
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2014081 ... ughts-form

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby SpeedOfSound » Aug 19, 2014 5:04 pm

but, but... What about Other Ways of Knowing?
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Calilasseia » Aug 19, 2014 9:42 pm

Then of course, we have those scientific papers I've presented previously, demonstrating that far from being an unfathomable mystery, human thought is now an active area of scientific research. Papers such as the one devoted to determining which movies had been watched by various experimental subjects. Of course, various members of the magic-addled crowd tried to pretend that the results from these papers were purportedly meaningless, in order to continue maintaining a rather sad attachment to magic, but the anachronistic preference for magic is not merely being rendered irrelevant by research such as this, it's being consigned to extinction. When we have the ability to work out what movies people have watched, simply by processing the electrical and blood flow data, it's game over for magic.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Macdoc » Aug 19, 2014 9:43 pm

it IS intended to be a poke in the eye for persons known...

companion bit for those that think science cannot engender awe....

We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Macdoc » Aug 19, 2014 9:44 pm

When we have the ability to work out what movies people have watched, simply by processing the electrical and blood flow data, it's game over for magic.

of course the next step is wetware melding between brain and external neural nets running compatible software. :D
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby SpeedOfSound » Aug 23, 2014 1:26 pm

Macdoc wrote:
When we have the ability to work out what movies people have watched, simply by processing the electrical and blood flow data, it's game over for magic.

of course the next step is wetware melding between brain and external neural nets running compatible software. :D

I think the neural nets are pretty much in place. What's left is to understand that this is simply one part of the whole machine. The extensible cortical sheet pattern. The mechanism is what we are missing in our simulations.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#8  Postby jamest » Aug 26, 2014 10:24 pm

Calilasseia wrote:Then of course, we have those scientific papers I've presented previously, demonstrating that far from being an unfathomable mystery, human thought is now an active area of scientific research. Papers such as the one devoted to determining which movies had been watched by various experimental subjects. Of course, various members of the magic-addled crowd tried to pretend that the results from these papers were purportedly meaningless, in order to continue maintaining a rather sad attachment to magic, but the anachronistic preference for magic is not merely being rendered irrelevant by research such as this, it's being consigned to extinction. When we have the ability to work out what movies people have watched, simply by processing the electrical and blood flow data, it's game over for magic.

Nobody [with views similar to my own] has ever denied the correlative relations between particular observed brain states and particular thoughts/feelings/sensations/etc.. The problem is that proving that certain mind-states are always associated with certain observed brain-states does not prove that said mind-states are caused by said brain-states. This should be fucking obvious, otherwise there would be no reason why I couldn't say that the aforementioned associations proved that the conscious mind caused all corresponding observed brain-states associated with its particular thoughts/feelings.

What's always missing when I review threads such as this, is any acknowledgement from the atheists/materialists that there is a TWO-way causal relationship between conscious sensations/thoughts/feelings and observed brains. Certainly, we should all know from personal experience just how much potential our abstract thoughts and associated feelings have to effect significant bio-chemical changes in both the brain and body. For instance, consider how many times you've become angry by religious viewpoints, or any viewpoints. Indeed, our history is riddled with war caused by opinion. Your subjective opinions are here instrumental in effecting significant changes within your body.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#9  Postby SpeedOfSound » Aug 26, 2014 10:32 pm

jamest wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:Then of course, we have those scientific papers I've presented previously, demonstrating that far from being an unfathomable mystery, human thought is now an active area of scientific research. Papers such as the one devoted to determining which movies had been watched by various experimental subjects. Of course, various members of the magic-addled crowd tried to pretend that the results from these papers were purportedly meaningless, in order to continue maintaining a rather sad attachment to magic, but the anachronistic preference for magic is not merely being rendered irrelevant by research such as this, it's being consigned to extinction. When we have the ability to work out what movies people have watched, simply by processing the electrical and blood flow data, it's game over for magic.

Nobody [with views similar to my own] has ever denied the correlative relations between particular observed brain states and particular thoughts/feelings/sensations/etc.. The problem is that proving that certain mind-states are always associated with certain observed brain-states does not prove that said mind-states are caused by said brain-states. This should be fucking obvious, otherwise there would be no reason why I couldn't say that the aforementioned associations proved that the conscious mind caused all corresponding observed brain-states associated with its particular thoughts/feelings.

Right. Correlation is all we ever get. If someone comes along with proof or evidence that something else is actually causal then we adopt that view. But!!! It REQUIRES proof and evidence before said adoption occurs.

What's always missing when I review threads such as this, is any acknowledgement from the atheists/materialists that there is a TWO-way causal relationship between conscious sensations/thoughts/feelings and observed brains. Certainly, we should all know from personal experience just how much potential our abstract thoughts and associated feelings have to effect significant bio-chemical changes in both the brain and body. For instance, consider how many times you've become angry by religious viewpoints, or any viewpoints. Indeed, our history is riddled with war caused by opinion. Your subjective opinions are here instrumental in effecting significant changes within your body.

Presumptive in your paragraph here is that mind or thought is apart from the physical changes in the brain. Once you accept that it's physical all the way down it is no longer a big deal that one thought causes another or that a thought causes a limb to move or a joint to ache.

No big deal.

Back to the first paragraph. What's always missing when I review threads such as this, is any acknowledgement from the theists/idealists that they have no proof or evidence of any other causal connection. That they don't even have a proper model and can't answer the simplest questions either.
You have your work cut out for you squire.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#10  Postby jamest » Aug 26, 2014 10:56 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:
jamest wrote:

Right. Correlation is all we ever get. If someone comes along with proof or evidence that something else is actually causal then we adopt that view. But!!! It REQUIRES proof and evidence before said adoption occurs.

The ONLY evidence of anything comes in the form of sensation/thought/feeling (give Descartes a round of applause). So you're screwing yourself up the arse by suggesting that the ONLY evidence of anything is of a physical reality. A very naive and erroneous mistake made by people who refuse to question their agenda. You can lead a horse to water...

Presumptive in your paragraph here is that mind or thought is apart from the physical changes in the brain.

Presumptive on your part is that there is any physical reality beyond the discernment of it, which itself is gleaned from conscious sensations (give Descartes another round of applause). I'm making no assumptions about physical 'reality', but am instead dealing with the only evidence privy to me: events happening within my own awareness. You want to pretend that there are no such events, but without them you have NO evidence to draw. How do you like them fucking apples, squire?

Once you accept that it's physical all the way down

I have no reason to accept that, nor any evidence.

Back to the first paragraph. What's always missing when I review threads such as this, is any acknowledgement from the theists/idealists that they have no proof or evidence of any other causal connection. That they don't even have a proper model and can't answer the simplest questions either.
You have your work cut out for you squire.

I have no idea how you taught your arse to type, but it's a good trick.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#11  Postby SpeedOfSound » Aug 26, 2014 11:01 pm

jamest wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:
jamest wrote:

The ONLY evidence of anything comes in the form of sensation/thought/feeling (give Descartes a round of applause). So you're screwing yourself up the arse by suggesting that the ONLY evidence of anything is of a physical reality. A very naive and erroneous mistake made by people who refuse to question their agenda. You can lead a horse to water...

What about your 'metaphysical' evidence? :lol:

by suggesting that the ONLY evidence of anything is of a physical reality.

Never suggested that. I suggested evidence.

A very naive and erroneous mistake made by people who refuse to question their agenda. You can lead a horse to the privy...

It's obvious that you are squirming again to get out of providing evidence for your presumed source of thoughts. I know jimmy. It's hard work to back up your metafizzical meanderings. I feel ya!
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#12  Postby SpeedOfSound » Aug 26, 2014 11:06 pm

Before you wooists get your panties in a bunch this thread suggested correlations between thought and the brain. Hence cracking the code. No one said a fucking thing about cause. If you hear a buzzing in your ear and you feel a tickle in your ear then you see a mosquito fly out of your ear this could very well be correlated with the mosquito in your ear. One could postulate that the cause of the buzzing in your ear was the Great Mosquito Man in the sky. But I think one has to do a little proving first. Maybe it's just me.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#13  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 26, 2014 11:26 pm

It's just you, boss. Just because you can detect that mosquito, and just because you can repeatedly detect that mosquito, and just because other people can detect that mosquito too, doesn't mean the mosquito exists. It's probably just an experience in your brain. Therefore, God.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby jamest » Aug 27, 2014 12:26 am

SpeedOfSound wrote:Before you wooists get your panties in a bunch this thread suggested correlations between thought and the brain. Hence cracking the code. No one said a fucking thing about cause.

You need a bigger bag of popcorn, squire. The relationship between code makers and code receivers HAS to be a causal relationship. The reason for that is that the meaning of codes has to have an absolute origin... and the interpreter of a code has to interpret that code as it was intended to be interpreted. Thus, the code maker affects the code receiver... equals a causal relationship.

If you hear a buzzing in your ear and you feel a tickle in your ear then you see a mosquito fly out of your ear this could very well be correlated with the mosquito in your ear. One could postulate that the cause of the buzzing in your ear was the Great Mosquito Man in the sky. But I think one has to do a little proving first. Maybe it's just me.

You forgot to integrate 'ears' and 'mosquitoes' into your code. Somehow, you have them as residing outside of the coded box, partly responsible for everything else that is discerned from the "Great Code".

As I said, it's a neat trick teaching your arse to type, but the novelty value soon wears-off in a philosophy forum. You're in dire need of a new trick, or [at the very least] of a new arse.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#15  Postby SpeedOfSound » Aug 27, 2014 12:30 am

Still stalling?
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#16  Postby SpeedOfSound » Aug 27, 2014 12:35 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:It's just you, boss. Just because you can detect that mosquito, and just because you can repeatedly detect that mosquito, and just because other people can detect that mosquito too, doesn't mean the mosquito exists. It's probably just an experience in your brain. Therefore, God.

There is a buzz in jimmy's head and it's called 'metaplossifull evidence'. It's all some need. Compare what he is basing his bullshit on with wilburforcennn in the other forum. A picture is starting to form and it scares the shit out of me. These people often have the right to vote!
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#17  Postby jamest » Aug 27, 2014 12:38 am

SpeedOfSound wrote:Still stalling?

Have you seen Reservoir Dogs? I'm Mister Blonde, cutting off the policeman's ear.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#18  Postby SpeedOfSound » Aug 27, 2014 1:29 am

jamest wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:Still stalling?

Have you seen Reservoir Dogs? I'm Mister Blonde, cutting off the policeman's ear.

:scratch: I thought you were the guy that got shot all to hell in the first few minutes and didn't have the good sense to die 'til half way through the movie.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Calilasseia » Aug 27, 2014 6:32 am

jamest wrote:

Nobody [with views similar to my own] has ever denied the correlative relations between particular observed brain states and particular thoughts/feelings/sensations/etc.. The problem is that proving that certain mind-states are always associated with certain observed brain-states does not prove that said mind-states are caused by said brain-states.

The mere fact that such a correlation is established, tells us that it's more than mere coincidence. Or didn't you work out this elementary concept, before rushing to post the usual wibble?

If certain thoughts are demonstrated to be present when specific clusters of neurons are firing, and demonstrated in addition to be absent when those clusters of neurons are not firing, it's pretty good evidence that the firing of those clusters of neurons produces those thoughts.

Once again, go and learn some actual neuroscience.

jamest wrote:This should be fucking obvious, otherwise there would be no reason why I couldn't say that the aforementioned associations proved that the conscious mind caused all corresponding observed brain-states associated with its particular thoughts/feelings.

What is this wibble supposed to mean? Can we have this incoherent jumble rearranged to form comprehensible English?

jamest wrote:What's always missing when I review threads such as this, is any acknowledgement from the atheists/materialists that there is a TWO-way causal relationship between conscious sensations/thoughts/feelings and observed brains.

Oh wait, you mean the brain responding to incoming data? In which fantasy parallel universe does this not imply a two way relationship? Or for that matter need fucking magic?

jamest wrote:Certainly, we should all know from personal experience just how much potential our abstract thoughts and associated feelings have to effect significant bio-chemical changes in both the brain and body. For instance, consider how many times you've become angry by religious viewpoints, or any viewpoints. Indeed, our history is riddled with war caused by opinion. Your subjective opinions are here instrumental in effecting significant changes within your body.

Once again, in what fantasy parallel universe does the brain responding to incoming data need fucking magic?
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby jamest » Aug 28, 2014 12:12 am

Calilasseia wrote:
jamest wrote:
Nobody [with views similar to my own] has ever denied the correlative relations between particular observed brain states and particular thoughts/feelings/sensations/etc.. The problem is that proving that certain mind-states are always associated with certain observed brain-states does not prove that said mind-states are caused by said brain-states.

The mere fact that such a correlation is established, tells us that it's more than mere coincidence. Or didn't you work out this elementary concept, before rushing to post the usual wibble?

If certain thoughts are demonstrated to be present when specific clusters of neurons are firing, and demonstrated in addition to be absent when those clusters of neurons are not firing, it's pretty good evidence that the firing of those clusters of neurons produces those thoughts.

Once again, go and learn some actual neuroscience.

If A then B (thus, if B then A), does not imply that A caused B any more than it implies that B caused A.

Get a fucking clue... and then we'll talk.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Philosophy