Examples of Sexism that Aren't

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Examples of Sexism that Aren't

#21  Postby Teshi » Jun 23, 2012 2:07 pm

And this picture is better than most, what with M. displaying his leg Jolie-style.
Teshi
 
Posts: 330

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Examples of Sexism that Aren't

#22  Postby Regina » Jun 23, 2012 6:47 pm

Teshi wrote:I understood. It doesn't improve it for me, really. The anthropological implication is pretty clear. I'm not saying it's Horace's opinion, but the implication is enough to annoy me.

Image

Score, I'm in the picture!

Does gravity annoy you, too?
Apart from that, there's no rule that you as an individual are slave to what the majority of humans find sexually alluring.
I've seen men who make Johnny Depp look like a potato sack, and who left me completely cold. :dunno:
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina
 
Posts: 15627
Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

Re: Examples of Sexism that Aren't

#23  Postby laklak » Jun 24, 2012 12:38 am

Gravity can be annoying, particularly when I'd like to float around the room. However, as I get older I find it also has it's uses. For example, without it my balls would occasionally bang me in the eyes.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 20878
Age: 67
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: Examples of Sexism that Aren't

#24  Postby Teshi » Jun 24, 2012 10:21 am

Gravity carries no implication for my status as a human being. With the same mass, in the same place, I am affected as much as every person alive ever.

Not the case when my gender is depicted by preference as undignified cutesy whereas the other one is depicted by preference as dignified and powerful. I suppose you could argue that such depictions have no bearing on the interactions and status of men and women outside of pinups, but I think it does. Actual servicemen are chosen for pinup calendars and they can wear their actual uniform (or part of it!). Much more uncommon with servicewomen, even with typical "sexy pinup" jobs like nursing.

This annoys me. It doesn't bother you? Aside from the other connotations of men and women, if you were an alien given the choice between being one or another wouldn't you rather belong to the sexy-as-powerful gender rather than the contorted/cutesy gender?
Teshi
 
Posts: 330

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Examples of Sexism that Aren't

#25  Postby GenesForLife » Jun 24, 2012 10:35 am

Hilarious and simultaneously disturbing, that project.
GenesForLife
 
Posts: 2920
Age: 31
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Examples of Sexism that Aren't

#26  Postby horacerumpole » Jun 25, 2012 6:38 pm

Teshi wrote:
Sure, but the poses in the pictures didn't come first, and human sexuality second. The sexuality came first, and the pictures are taken that way because that is what people find sexually titillating.


So men are sexy when they're powerful and women when they're not and that's all that matters. Have I understood that correctly?

Ah, I just love being female.


Men are sexy in ways other people people find them sexy, and so are women.

Women find certain traits in men to be sexy. Since you're a woman, what traits do you find sexy? Do you find them sexy when posing in "pin up" positions?
"There is not a court in Heaven or Earth...where Horace Rumpole is not ready and willing to appear. On the Day of Judgment I shall probably be up on my hind legs putting a few impertinent questions to the prosecutor."
User avatar
horacerumpole
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Horace Rumpole
Posts: 1933
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Examples of Sexism that Aren't

#27  Postby horacerumpole » Jun 25, 2012 6:42 pm

Teshi wrote:Gravity carries no implication for my status as a human being. With the same mass, in the same place, I am affected as much as every person alive ever.

Not the case when my gender is depicted by preference as undignified cutesy whereas the other one is depicted by preference as dignified and powerful. I suppose you could argue that such depictions have no bearing on the interactions and status of men and women outside of pinups, but I think it does. Actual servicemen are chosen for pinup calendars and they can wear their actual uniform (or part of it!). Much more uncommon with servicewomen, even with typical "sexy pinup" jobs like nursing.

This annoys me. It doesn't bother you? Aside from the other connotations of men and women, if you were an alien given the choice between being one or another wouldn't you rather belong to the sexy-as-powerful gender rather than the contorted/cutesy gender?


I don't know what you're looking for here. What bothers you?

It's not so much the powerful/powerless dichotomy for men. Men are aroused by powerful women too. The key is whether they are hot.
"There is not a court in Heaven or Earth...where Horace Rumpole is not ready and willing to appear. On the Day of Judgment I shall probably be up on my hind legs putting a few impertinent questions to the prosecutor."
User avatar
horacerumpole
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Horace Rumpole
Posts: 1933
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Examples of Sexism that Aren't

#28  Postby Delvo » Jun 27, 2012 2:39 am

You're ascribing arbitrary imagined values to the two types of sexiness which they do not inherently have.
User avatar
Delvo
 
Posts: 971

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Examples of Sexism that Aren't

#29  Postby Regina » Jun 27, 2012 8:14 am

Teshi wrote:

Not the case when my gender is depicted by preference as undignified cutesy whereas the other one is depicted by preference as dignified and powerful.

You might have a point if that was the only way genders were depicted, but they aren't. If cuteness were such a universally preferred trait, dominas would never have appeared on the scene. Preferences vary a lot in humans.
But even if they didn't, there wouldn't be much you could do about it. Or would you attempt to change preferences? Can you do it yourself? Can you decide to be attracted to someone who is the very opposite of what you normally find attractive in a potential partner?
Last edited by Regina on Jun 27, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina
 
Posts: 15627
Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

Re: Examples of Sexism that Aren't

#30  Postby horacerumpole » Jun 27, 2012 4:11 pm

Delvo wrote:You're ascribing arbitrary imagined values to the two types of sexiness which they do not inherently have.


I haven't suggested that anything is "inherently" sexy. I'm just suggesting what folks seem to like in our culture.
"There is not a court in Heaven or Earth...where Horace Rumpole is not ready and willing to appear. On the Day of Judgment I shall probably be up on my hind legs putting a few impertinent questions to the prosecutor."
User avatar
horacerumpole
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Horace Rumpole
Posts: 1933
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Examples of Sexism that Aren't

#31  Postby Delvo » Jun 27, 2012 5:19 pm

horacerumpole wrote:
Delvo wrote:You're ascribing arbitrary imagined values to the two types of sexiness which they do not inherently have.
I haven't suggested that anything is "inherently" sexy. I'm just suggesting what folks seem to like in our culture.
I was addressing not you but Teshi, because of how she's declaring that being sexy in one of the two ways is inherently good and being sexy in the the other way is inherently bad. There simply isn't any basis for treating them that way.
User avatar
Delvo
 
Posts: 971

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Examples of Sexism that Aren't

#32  Postby horacerumpole » Jun 29, 2012 1:40 pm

Delvo wrote:
horacerumpole wrote:
Delvo wrote:You're ascribing arbitrary imagined values to the two types of sexiness which they do not inherently have.
I haven't suggested that anything is "inherently" sexy. I'm just suggesting what folks seem to like in our culture.
I was addressing not you but Teshi, because of how she's declaring that being sexy in one of the two ways is inherently good and being sexy in the the other way is inherently bad. There simply isn't any basis for treating them that way.


Agreed. Some people find others sexy through their confidence or wealth or power. Is that better than getting an erection to a Victoria's Secret model? I guess that depends on one's perspective and opinion.
"There is not a court in Heaven or Earth...where Horace Rumpole is not ready and willing to appear. On the Day of Judgment I shall probably be up on my hind legs putting a few impertinent questions to the prosecutor."
User avatar
horacerumpole
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Horace Rumpole
Posts: 1933
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest