Farmer who refused to leave crippled Fukushima nuclear plant

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Farmer who refused to leave crippled Fukushima nuclear plant

#1  Postby the_5th_ape » Mar 13, 2013 5:00 pm

Japanese farmer who refused to leave crippled Fukushima nuclear plant so he can take care of his animals
They call him Radioactive Man, the Japanese farmer who refused to leave his home town despite it being less than six miles away from the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant.

Defiant Naoto Matsumura, 53, is the only remaining inhabitant of the town of Tomioka which was a thriving community of 16,000 people before the tsunami hit two years ago.

The rice farmer disobeyed government orders to leave and has stayed on to feed the town's animals including his own 50 cows and two ostriches. (See Photos)

Mr Matsumura is permanently exposed to up to 17 times the level of radiation that is considered safe.

He put his health at further risk by eating food that had also been exposed to radiation, although he is now surviving on relief supplies delivered from outside and water that has been checked for radiation.

When researchers at the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency conducted tests, Mr Matsumura was found to have the highest level of radiation in anyone they had tested.

He told Vice magazine: 'When I went down and let them look me over, they told me I was the "champion".

'But they also told me that I wouldn’t get sick for 30 or 40 years. I’ll most likely be dead by then anyway, so I couldn’t care less.'

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llM9MIM_9U4[/youtube]
Thanking God for sparing you in a natural disaster is like
sending a thank-you note to a serial killer for stabbing the family next door

Question: If you could live forever, would you and why? Best Answer
the_5th_ape

Male

Print view this post

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities