Free Will

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Free Will

#4941  Postby GrahamH » Jan 19, 2017 3:12 pm

ughaibu wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
ughaibu wrote:
archibald wrote:Free from prior causation, I suppose.
So, a strawman definition of "free will" of no interest to anyone involved in the free will discussion. Well done.
You tell it like it ughaibu! Why don't you get onto these muppets at Stamford and explain to them what all philosophers mean by free will? They obviously didn't get the memo.
Our survey of several themes in philosophical accounts of free will suggests that a—perhaps the—root issue is that of control. Clearly, our capacity for deliberation and the potential sophistication of some of our practical reflections are important conditions on freedom of will. But any proposed analysis of free will must also ensure that the process it describes is one that was up to, or controlled by, the agent.
Fantastic scenarios of external manipulation and less fantastic cases of hypnosis are not the only, or even primary, ones to give philosophers pause. It is consistent with my deliberating and choosing ‘in the normal way’ that my developing psychology and choices over time are part of an ineluctable system of causes necessitating effects. It might be, that is, that underlying the phenomena of purpose and will in human persons is an all-encompassing, mechanistic world-system of ‘blind’ cause and effect. Many accounts of free will are constructed against the backdrop possibility (whether accepted as actual or not) that each stage of the world is determined by what preceded it by impersonal natural law. As always, there are optimists and pessimists.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/freewill/#3
So, there is nothing in that quote about free will requiring that there be no prior causes, is there?
So what was the point of posting it? To demonstrate that your reading comprehension is as bad as Archibald's?

It demonstrates that some philosophers don't take for granted that we can tell if "agents enact choices". Unlike you they clearly state the controversial issue at hand, that of control / agency that you merely assume.
If you failed to comprehend it take another look for comments on "cause and effect" and "accepted or not".
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#4942  Postby archibald » Jan 19, 2017 3:15 pm

ughaibu wrote:But nobody thinks that things are happening in the brain without prior causes, neither compatibilists nor incompatibilists. So there is nothing to explain!

Oh look.

"Free means uncaused."
http://www.theopedia.com/libertarian-free-will
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#4943  Postby ughaibu » Jan 19, 2017 3:16 pm

GrahamH wrote:
ughaibu wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
ughaibu wrote:So, a strawman definition of "free will" of no interest to anyone involved in the free will discussion. Well done.
You tell it like it ughaibu! Why don't you get onto these muppets at Stamford and explain to them what all philosophers mean by free will? They obviously didn't get the memo.
Our survey of several themes in philosophical accounts of free will suggests that a—perhaps the—root issue is that of control. Clearly, our capacity for deliberation and the potential sophistication of some of our practical reflections are important conditions on freedom of will. But any proposed analysis of free will must also ensure that the process it describes is one that was up to, or controlled by, the agent.
Fantastic scenarios of external manipulation and less fantastic cases of hypnosis are not the only, or even primary, ones to give philosophers pause. It is consistent with my deliberating and choosing ‘in the normal way’ that my developing psychology and choices over time are part of an ineluctable system of causes necessitating effects. It might be, that is, that underlying the phenomena of purpose and will in human persons is an all-encompassing, mechanistic world-system of ‘blind’ cause and effect. Many accounts of free will are constructed against the backdrop possibility (whether accepted as actual or not) that each stage of the world is determined by what preceded it by impersonal natural law. As always, there are optimists and pessimists.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/freewill/#3
So, there is nothing in that quote about free will requiring that there be no prior causes, is there?
So what was the point of posting it? To demonstrate that your reading comprehension is as bad as Archibald's?

It demonstrates that some philosophers don't take for granted that we can tell if "agents enact choices". Unlike you they clearly state the controversial issue at hand, that of control / agency that you merely assume.
If you failed to comprehend it take another look for comments on "cause and effect" and "accepted or not".
To repeat, it says nothing about free will requiring that they be no prior causes, does it?
ughaibu

Print view this post

#4944  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 19, 2017 3:17 pm

archibald wrote:can other animals' brains plan ahead and select options from a menu of scenarios?

Most of my plans are subject to cancellation, even right up to the last minute. I don't know whether I freely will to go through with them (or not) or to cancel them (or not). I can't do both, obviously.

The thing about the brain is that it operates in the present.

Another question: If you write up an elaborate plan, and then you don't go through with it, what does that tell you? What if your plan is only that you plan to write up an elaborate plan? If it involves a canal, that leads to being locked in.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Jan 19, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#4945  Postby archibald » Jan 19, 2017 3:17 pm

ughaibu wrote:To repeat, it says nothing about free will requiring that they be no prior causes, does it?

See above.
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#4946  Postby ughaibu » Jan 19, 2017 3:19 pm

archibald wrote:
ughaibu wrote:But nobody thinks that things are happening in the brain without prior causes, neither compatibilists nor incompatibilists. So there is nothing to explain!
Oh look.
"Free means uncaused."
http://www.theopedia.com/libertarian-free-will
Okay, "nobody [involved in the free will discussion ie philosophers] thinks that things are happening in the brain without prior causes".

ETA: in fact, in that article the author appears to mean non-determined by that usage of "uncaused". So, there appears to be no requirement, even amongst open theists, whatever they are, for a lack of prior causes. In particular, the actions that they are talking about seem to be caused by a moral sense.
Last edited by ughaibu on Jan 19, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ughaibu

Print view this post

#4947  Postby DavidMcC » Jan 19, 2017 3:22 pm

archibald wrote:Look, you said, "so do you think that our thoughts/conscious decisions are completely controlled by these "prior causes" "

I do, yes. Do you not?

That's a trick question, because it hinges on what counts as a "prior cause". For example, does an idea coming out of the unconscious without a memory-jogging experience to trigger it count as a prior cause, or not?

I don't care what 'these' refers to, as if there were 'some situations', just take it out. And the inverted commas. and the forward slash.

I stand by them, and won't take orders from you, because I have a free will in the matter. :lol:
Also, I put in the "Some situations" phrase, because sometimes there is a clear cause of a thought, but sometimes there is not.
Do you or do you not think that our thoughts and conscious decisions are completely controlled by prior causes?

Only sometimes. The brain's operation is not as simple as you seem to think.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4948  Postby archibald » Jan 19, 2017 3:28 pm

DavidMcC wrote:Only sometimes

Right. so tell me how anything, anything at all, even a component of a thought or process, in my brain, manages to be uncaused.
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#4949  Postby ughaibu » Jan 19, 2017 3:31 pm

archibald wrote:

Right. so tell me how anything, anything at all, even a component of a thought or process, in my brain, manages to be uncaused.
DavidMcC wrote:
archibald wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:Sometimes, I find I spontaneously recall something, without any obvious jog of my memory.

Good for you.

It means I think that nothing happens without prior cause, even though you seem to be claiming (bizarrely) that I can predict the future with my causeless brain activity.
Maybe you hadn't understood, and no doubt you will blame me for that.
ughaibu

Print view this post

#4950  Postby DavidMcC » Jan 19, 2017 3:33 pm

archibald wrote:

The problem remains that you haven't said what you would regard as a "prior cause", in spite of my question in the pevioism post.
You dodged the issue when you merely remarked "good for you" after I posted about occasionally having ideas out of the blue.
Last edited by DavidMcC on Jan 19, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4951  Postby archibald » Jan 19, 2017 3:34 pm

Typing out the word 'spontaneous' is not very impressive. I can type anything. Look: 'uncaused'. There. I typed it.
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#4952  Postby archibald » Jan 19, 2017 3:35 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
archibald wrote:

The problem remains that you haven't said what you would regard as a "prior cause", in spite of my question in the pevioism post.

No, the problem remains that you are obfuscating. A prior cause is anything that precedes and causes. Could be anything. Lots of things. Could be a photon of light entering the eye. Doesn't matter. You just need to explain how anything can be uncaused and stop waffling.
Last edited by archibald on Jan 19, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#4953  Postby DavidMcC » Jan 19, 2017 3:36 pm

archibald wrote:Typing out the word 'spontaneous' is not very impressive. I can type anything. Look: 'uncaused'. There. I typed it.

Good for you.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4954  Postby GrahamH » Jan 19, 2017 3:37 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
archibald wrote:Look, you said, "so do you think that our thoughts/conscious decisions are completely controlled by these "prior causes" "

I do, yes. Do you not?

That's a trick question, because it hinges on what counts as a "prior cause". For example, does an idea coming out of the unconscious without a memory-jogging experience to trigger it count as a prior cause, or not?

Surely that depends on how ideas come forward, how ideas are formed and so on. If it's a consequence of the total physical state of the brain that that state is obviously part of the prior state. If you have something else in mind that is not a prior state then tell us what it is.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#4955  Postby DavidMcC » Jan 19, 2017 3:38 pm

archibald wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
archibald wrote:

No, the problem remains that you are obfuscating. A prior cause is anything that precedes and causes. Could be anything. Lots of things. Could be a photon of light entering the eye. Doesn't matter. You just need to explain how anything can be uncaused and stop waffling.

But I have already mentioned uncaused memory recall, for Pete's sake. You are the one who should stop obfuscating.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4956  Postby archibald » Jan 19, 2017 3:38 pm

DavidMcC wrote:But I have already mentioned uncaused memory recall.....

Ok. Groundhog day. How can anything coming out of memory be uncaused?
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#4957  Postby GrahamH » Jan 19, 2017 3:40 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
archibald wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
archibald wrote:

But I have already mentioned uncaused memory recall, for Pete's sake. You are the one who should stop obfuscating.

What a terrible example!
How could you possibly know if memory recall was "uncaused"? All you are doing there is admitting that you don't know anything about how your memory works.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#4958  Postby DavidMcC » Jan 19, 2017 3:41 pm

GrahamH wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

I do, yes. Do you not?

Surely that depends on how ideas come forward, how ideas are formed and so on. If it's a consequence of the total physical state of the brain that that state is obviously part of the prior state. If you have something else in mind that is not a prior state then tell us what it is.

It was not a prior state if it was not based on previous experience.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4959  Postby GrahamH » Jan 19, 2017 3:46 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

I do, yes. Do you not?

It was not a prior state if it was not based on previous experience.

Why? The state of the universe an infinitesimal moment ago is a prior state to now. How any of that relates to "experience" is a different can of worms.
Are you trying for some sort of definition that brings in consciousness and ignores physical states?
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#4960  Postby archibald » Jan 19, 2017 3:49 pm

He's citing uncaused events in the brain.
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy