Free Will

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Free Will

#1  Postby The Doctor » Mar 06, 2010 6:14 pm

Does free will exist? I'm interested in how you think it relates to the problem of evil.
"We are omniscient, but confused." - Leibniz

My blog: Monads Have No Windows
The Doctor
RS Donator

Name: John Smith
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Free Will

#2  Postby YanShen » Mar 06, 2010 10:24 pm

Libertarian free will doesn't exist. Since we are nothing more than the result of particles obeying the laws of nature. Whatever those laws may turn out to be.
YanShen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby wonka08 » Mar 07, 2010 2:02 am

I don't think that Free Will in accordance with the Christian God could exist. If he is omniscient then he would know every decision of every person past and in the future. So our decisions would already be decided for us in the future, we're just following them.
"There are no atheists in foxholes isn't an argument against atheists, it's an argument against foxholes."

Fan of Astronomy? Click here to see the latest photos of the universe.
wonka08

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby xrayzed » Mar 11, 2010 7:15 am

The Doctor wrote:Does free will exist? I'm interested in how you think it relates to the problem of evil.

In the sense of complete volitional autonomy, categorically not. We are all subject to conditioning, and are heavily influenced by circumstances.

Whether we have some degree of free will, or whether this is merely an illusion, is much harder to answer.
A thinking creationist is an oxymoron. A non-thinking creationist is just a moron.
(Source: johannessiig, here)
xrayzed

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#5  Postby FBM » Mar 18, 2010 10:57 am

Seems most likely to me that the sense of free will is closely related to the sense of agency that is produced in the parietal lobe (left, IIRC). I don't see any reason to think that it corresponds to anything in particular; it's just a sensation.

There's the work that Libet did that strongly suggests that decisions are made prior to conscious awareness of them. More recently, John-Dylan Haynes, et al, did some experiments that seem to show that decisions can happen unconsciously up to 10 seconds prior to conscious awareness of them. http://brainandlearning.blogspot.com/2008/04/do-we-have-freewill.html
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken
FBM

Korea, Republic of (kr)
Print view this post

#6  Postby katja z » Mar 18, 2010 11:34 am

FBM wrote:Seems most likely to me that the sense of free will is closely related to the sense of agency that is produced in the parietal lobe (left, IIRC). I don't see any reason to think that it corresponds to anything in particular; it's just a sensation.

There's the work that Libet did that strongly suggests that decisions are made prior to conscious awareness of them. More recently, John-Dylan Haynes, et al, did some experiments that seem to show that decisions can happen unconsciously up to 10 seconds prior to conscious awareness of them. http://brainandlearning.blogspot.com/2008/04/do-we-have-freewill.html

That's interesting. The "power of the veto" is an intriguing concept. So the solution-seeking process would be unconsciouss (meaning that reliance on gut feeling or "intuition" is a perfectly reasonable strategy?), but "the conscious I" would still decide whether to act on the outcome or not. This would make free will very limited, yet still more than "just a sensation" as you suggest in the first paragraph. Thoughts?
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Ilovelucy » Mar 18, 2010 11:39 am

katja z wrote:
FBM wrote:Seems most likely to me that the sense of free will is closely related to the sense of agency that is produced in the parietal lobe (left, IIRC). I don't see any reason to think that it corresponds to anything in particular; it's just a sensation.

That's interesting. The "power of the veto" is an intriguing concept. So the solution-seeking process would be unconsciouss (meaning that reliance on gut feeling or "intuition" is a perfectly reasonable strategy?), but "the conscious I" would still decide whether to act on the outcome or not. This would make free will very limited, yet still more than "just a sensation" as you suggest in the first paragraph. Thoughts?

Many have said in the wake of Libet that we might not have free will but we do have free "won't".
Ilovelucy

Name: Not Lucy
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby katja z » Mar 18, 2010 11:44 am

Ilovelucy wrote:Many have said in the wake of Libet that we might not have free will but we do have free "won't".

As long as it's free something :grin:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Comte de St.-Germain » Mar 18, 2010 1:35 pm

FBM wrote:There's the work that Libet did that strongly suggests that decisions are made prior to conscious awareness of them. More recently, John-Dylan Haynes, et al, did some experiments that seem to show that decisions can happen unconsciously up to 10 seconds prior to conscious awareness of them. http://brainandlearning.blogspot.com/2008/04/do-we-have-freewill.html

More accurately, certain kinds of choices can be reliably predicted with brain imaging technology up to 10 seconds prior to conscious experience. This is rather amusing, since the previously maximum measured time was used by some proponents of Quantum Consciousness to save free will by sending signals back in time.

Anyway, Libet offered the idea of the veto himself. It has been rather solidly rebuked in an experimental setting as well. In any case, it was demolished in philosophy before it was in science.
Quod tanto impendio absconditur etiam solummodo demonstrare destruere est
Comte de St.-Germain

Name: Franciscus I
Male

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Ilovelucy » Mar 18, 2010 2:13 pm

katja z wrote:
Ilovelucy wrote:Many have said in the wake of Libet that we might not have free will but we do have free "won't".

As long as it's free something :grin:

Actually, my whole problem isn't with the "will" or "won't" bit, but with the "free" bit. I don't think it really matters so much about whether a choice was decided "freely" as it is to be confident in saying that even though the choice was determined, it was still our choice.
Ilovelucy

Name: Not Lucy
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby katja z » Mar 18, 2010 3:05 pm

Comte de St.-Germain wrote:
Anyway, Libet offered the idea of the veto himself. It has been rather solidly rebuked in an experimental setting as well.

Do you have any links? I'd be interested in reading up on this.
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Audley Strange » Mar 18, 2010 4:00 pm

The Doctor wrote:Does free will exist? I'm interested in how you think it relates to the problem of evil.

No it doesn't. There is no such thing as evil, so, no relation, no problem.
Audley Strange

Print view this post

#13  Postby Nocterro » Mar 18, 2010 4:12 pm

Audley Strange wrote:

How are you defining "evil" here?
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -Siddhārtha Gautama
Nocterro

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Audley Strange » Mar 18, 2010 4:15 pm

Nocterro wrote:
Audley Strange wrote:

I'm not, it doesn't exist thus it can't be defined.
Audley Strange

Print view this post

#15  Postby Nocterro » Mar 18, 2010 4:18 pm

Audley Strange wrote:
Nocterro wrote:
Audley Strange wrote:

Then why does practically every dictionary in the world define it?
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -Siddhārtha Gautama
Nocterro

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Audley Strange » Mar 18, 2010 4:20 pm

Nocterro wrote:
Audley Strange wrote:
Nocterro wrote:
Audley Strange wrote:

Then why does practically every dictionary in the world define it?

I'm sure they'll define unicorn too.
Audley Strange

Print view this post

#17  Postby Nocterro » Mar 18, 2010 4:23 pm

Are you now going to claim that "unicorn" cannot be defined?

Why is it the case that something must exist to be defined? Surely we can define all kinds of non-existent things, given that the definition does not include "...and exists".
Nocterro

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Audley Strange » Mar 18, 2010 4:29 pm

Nocterro wrote:Are you now going to claim that "unicorn" cannot be defined?

Why is it the case that something must exist to be defined? Surely we can define all kinds of non-existent things, given that the definition does not include "...and exists".

You can define whatever you want real or otherwise if you are so inclined. Shit go nuts, make mouth noises until something sounds good and then define it and tell people that it means something if you want. You asked me how I was defining it. I don't think it exists so I'm not going to waste time trying to. You want the definition, make one up or rely on your precious dictionaries. I don't have to.
Audley Strange

Print view this post

#19  Postby Black36 » Mar 18, 2010 4:32 pm

wonka08 wrote:I don't think that Free Will in accordance with the Christian God could exist. If he is omniscient then he would know every decision of every person past and in the future. So our decisions would already be decided for us in the future, we're just following them.

Hey Wonka,

Why do you equate knowing the future with controlling the future?
Black36

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Black36 » Mar 18, 2010 4:35 pm

Audley,

Does good exist?
Black36

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Philosophy