Happiness of kids raised by homosexual parents

...as compared to those raised by heterosexual parents

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Happiness of kids raised by homosexual parents

#1  Postby aban57 » Jul 05, 2016 8:40 am

I had a link to a study made in Belgium or Netherlands (don't remember) that showed the difference (or lack of) in happiness and success for kids raised by same sex parents, compared to the other kids, but I can't find it. Does anyone have it, or anything like it ?
aban57

Name: Cédric

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Hapiness in kids raised by homo parents

#2  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 05, 2016 8:46 am

Well, there's these:
http://www.apa.org/news/press/response/gay-parents.aspx
APA on Children Raised by Gay and Lesbian Parents

How do these children fare?

On the basis of a remarkably consistent body of research on lesbian and gay parents and their children, the American Psychological Association (APA) and other health professional and scientific organizations have concluded that there is no scientific evidence that parenting effectiveness is related to parental sexual orientation. That is, lesbian and gay parents are as likely as heterosexual parents to provide supportive and healthy environments for their children. This body of research has shown that the adjustment, development and psychological well-being of children are unrelated to parental sexual orientation and that the children of lesbian and gay parents are as likely as those of heterosexual parents to flourish.

In 2004, the APA Council of Representatives adopted a policy resolution including the following statement based on a review of the best available science:

There is no scientific evidence that parenting effectiveness is related to parental sexual orientation: lesbian and gay parents are as likely as heterosexual parents to provide supportive and healthy environments for their children (Patterson, 2000, 2004; Perrin, 2002; Tasker, 1999); See the full resolution on the Sexual Orientation, Parents, & Children webpage.

APA has continued to monitor the research since 2004 and report that research in our amicus briefs, such as in the Gill vs. OPM case. On the basis of the research, APA continues to oppose any discrimination based on sexual orientation in matters of adoption, child custody and visitation, foster care, and reproductive health services.

http://www.hrc.org/resources/professional-organizations-on-lgbt-parenting
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3  Postby aban57 » Jul 05, 2016 11:24 am

That's not the one, but it'll do, thanks :)
aban57

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 05, 2016 11:39 am

aban57 wrote:That's not the one, but it'll do, thanks :)

I kniw the one you're referring to, but cannot find it either.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Animavore » Jul 05, 2016 11:42 am

I tired access it through Google.ie, but it's on the Index Librorum Prohibitorum.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6  Postby UltimoReducto » Mar 15, 2018 12:57 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:Well, there's these:

On the basis of a remarkably consistent body of research on lesbian and gay parents and their children, the American Psychological Association (APA) and other health professional and scientific organizations have concluded that there is no scientific evidence that parenting effectiveness is related to parental sexual orientation. That is, lesbian and gay parents are as likely as heterosexual parents to provide supportive and healthy environments for their children. This body of research has shown that the adjustment, development and psychological well-being of children are unrelated to parental sexual orientation and that the children of lesbian and gay parents are as likely as those of heterosexual parents to flourish.

In 2004, the APA Council of Representatives adopted a policy resolution including the following statement based on a review of the best available science:

There is no scientific evidence that parenting effectiveness is related to parental sexual orientation: lesbian and gay parents are as likely as heterosexual parents to provide supportive and healthy environments for their children (Patterson, 2000, 2004; Perrin, 2002; Tasker, 1999); See the full resolution on the Sexual Orientation, Parents, & Children webpage.

APA has continued to monitor the research since 2004 and report that research in our amicus briefs, such as in the Gill vs. OPM case. On the basis of the research, APA continues to oppose any discrimination based on sexual orientation in matters of adoption, child custody and visitation, foster care, and reproductive health services.

Blanket proclamations from vested interests are always so phony. They’d be more convincing if they weren’t so incessant about shutting down discussion. It’s anti-science. The scientific thing to do, if they were confident, is as always to make concessions to opposing views by admitting and stressing the limits of what they know. Please, no references to that proverbial “mountain of evidence”. In this case they have nothing more than a few surveys that conspicuously avoid any real objective measures. Particularly egregious is a very popular attempt to measure passivity by the number of outbursts in school and then evaluate the parents of the most drugged up zombie-like children, lesbians, as quantitatively BETTER. That’s a pure judgement call which either way suggests there IS a difference, between two qualitatively different things. From the outset there’s the issue they don’t care to address of single motherhood being so incredibly toxic. How does the presence of a second female solve the problem created by the first? Well in the eyes of many of these authors, they explicitly say a child is better off without a father or male influence. Contortions are necessary to show that homosexuals males are effeminate enough to still be okay. All the right people...

Whether or not the artificial is better than the natural, science is an end not a means. Skeptiks need to be skeptical and reject the APA’s conclusion that adoption agencies ought to be one size fits all.
UltimoReducto

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby OlivierK » Mar 15, 2018 1:46 am

UltimoReducto wrote:In this case they have nothing more than a few surveys that conspicuously avoid any real objective measures.

And what, pray tell, do you have?

UltimoReducto wrote:The scientific thing to do, if they were confident, is as always to make concessions to opposing views by admitting and stressing the limits of what they know.

And how committed are you to the principle of admitting the limits of your knowledge?
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby laklak » Mar 15, 2018 3:39 am

There is no happiness in lesbian families, because lesbians no ha' penis.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Fallible » Mar 15, 2018 6:40 am

:doh:
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 15, 2018 8:34 am

UltimoReducto wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:Well, there's these:

Blanket proclamations from vested interests are always so phony.

How fortunate then that what you quoted is a considered statement based on scientific studies and evidence.

UltimoReducto wrote:
Whether or not the artificial is better than the natural, science is an end not a means. Skeptiks need to be skeptical and reject the APA’s conclusion that adoption agencies ought to be one size fits all.

Actual skeptics would acknowledge the APA statement is based on evidence and scientific inquiry and not reject it based on their own personal views.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Shrunk » Mar 15, 2018 11:20 am

UltimoReducto wrote:The scientific thing to do, if they were confident, is as always to make concessions to opposing views by admitting and stressing the limits of what they know.

The APA's position is that there is no good evidence that children of same sex parents fare worse than those of opposite sex parents. If you think that is inaccurate, would you care to cite some of that evidence?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Shrunk » Mar 15, 2018 11:22 am

UltimoReducto wrote:From the outset there’s the issue they don’t care to address of single motherhood being so incredibly toxic. How does the presence of a second female solve the problem created by the first?

Your question is answered by understanding the difference between the numbers 1 and 2. Need more help?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 15, 2018 11:54 am

Shrunk wrote:
UltimoReducto wrote:From the outset there’s the issue they don’t care to address of single motherhood being so incredibly toxic. How does the presence of a second female solve the problem created by the first?

Your question is answered by understanding the difference between the numbers 1 and 2. Need more help?

Also, citation for single-mother parenthood being toxic is missing.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#14  Postby BlackBart » Mar 15, 2018 1:01 pm

Obvious obsession with Lesbians is obvious.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Happiness of kids raised by homosexual parents

#15  Postby The_Metatron » Mar 15, 2018 6:38 pm

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Cedric, I edited the title and subtitle of your OP to be more descriptive and searchable. Let me know if this is OK.

The_Metatron
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby aban57 » Mar 16, 2018 8:43 am

[quote="The_Metatron";p="2620370"][/quote]

Well, since I don't remember the original title, and since the current one fits the OP perfectly, who am I to argue ? :)
aban57

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 16, 2018 10:58 am

aban57 wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:

Well, since I don't remember the original title, and since the current one fits the OP perfectly, who am I to argue ? :)

Original title was phrased as 'homo parents'.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#18  Postby laklak » Mar 16, 2018 2:26 pm

Maybe he meant "homogenized".
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#19  Postby aban57 » Mar 16, 2018 2:40 pm

laklak wrote:Maybe he meant "homogenized".

:grin: Or homophobic ? :lol:

Actually, I was afraid to run out of space in the title, as we're limited in character numbers.
aban57

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#20  Postby laklak » Mar 16, 2018 3:06 pm

Homosassa Springs?
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities